Proposal to end all modification of myth

Talk about anything here.
Spond!Max

Post by Spond!Max »

One more thing ... if anyone wants to know, the newest MIII update works on MacSoft's last beta (which I dug off of my backups) if there are any former beta testers out there with no Myth III CDs. :D
igmo

Post by igmo »

iron wrote:Thanks for the film link above, I'll be analysing them in depth later today & will get back to you on what I find.
not sure if you had a chance to check the range films. i decided to make another test on venice, since its easier to observe distance...

standing on the wall, you can know you are shooting straight out and how far by using the tile pattern and shadow of the opposite wall.

films here: http://home.austin.rr.com/aoffice/rangeTestB.zip

again, the arch shoots a tiny bit shorter in 1.5. the dorf shoots *further* in 1.5 - in fact he shoots further than the lock in 1.5... neat. the lock seems the same in both versions.

also in both versions (mb more so in 1.3), the units skate around on the wall deciding if they can shoot that far. in the 1.3 film, i think the dorf would have skated indeffinately if i let him.

again, this makes me believe that 1.5 is NOT the same as 1.3 for gameplay. something is different. perhaps it is specific to downhill shooting and is involved in physics, not unit behavior? the fact that a 1.5 mort shoots farther (downhill anyway) than a 1.5 lock is yucky.
lerabu

Post by lerabu »

the fact that a 1.5 mort shoots farther (downhill anyway) than a 1.5 lock is yucky.

Dunno. Look at it like this. The patches were done to make gameplay more intuitive.

The mort fires making an arc with his mortarball (for lack of a better word), it is thus an air attack.

The lock's fireball fires following the line of the ground, unless you shoot off a wall and it goes to the ground as soon as possible.

Thus it makes sense that the mort shoots further downhill than the fireball travels, as the length (diameter of arc for the mort) is the same for both, however, the mort has some extra "air" to travel until it hits the ground, as the shooting is done downhill.

Have you tried uphill? Which goes furthest? If my guess is correct, the lock should.

Cheers!
Azhure
qwerty2

Post by qwerty2 »

the extra range of units has been complained about since 1.4 first came out.
what the hell is the pword to my old account?
stratman

Post by stratman »

Guest wrote:TB ... I'm way not "myself" anymore. I needed a break from all this crap, and I don't intend to get back into it either. Trust me ... this is a good thing. I would however, love to become a regular player again.

As for CL and CK, those have to be the 2 most annoying bugs ever ... except maybe the ligtning gun in UT2K4 sucking so badly mb ... but as far as Myth goes, CL and CK are useless as tits on a boar hog.
OMFG NOOB CL IS LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't cl you, your dwarf had a heart attack.

(CL has been chain linking since demo, and all types of that bug are cl...there is no such thing as CK, except for the CK clan)

I can beat all of you up in real life.
lerabu

Post by lerabu »

I can beat all of you up in real life.

LOL! :laugh:
Spond!Max

Post by Spond!Max »

OMFGMB STRAT IZ TH N00B

CL IZ CHANE FECH LITENINZ

CK IZ CHANE TRO KIKZEZ

::picks pubic hair out of keyboard:: Yep, you can beat me allright.
igmo

Post by igmo »

lerabu wrote:
the fact that a 1.5 mort shoots farther (downhill anyway) than a 1.5 lock is yucky.
Dunno. Look at it like this. The patches were done to make gameplay more intuitive.
i follow your logic - and assume it would hold true on 1.3 that any shot that follows an arc goes further downhill than up for the reasons you say. mb ill make that test too to be sure, but we all know that downhill range has always and forever been longer than up or level.

what i find "yucky" is that a 1.3 mort shoots the same distance a lock downhill, and 1.5 shoots longer.

Post by »

Well it kinda makes sense doesn't it? The mort can "aim" his barrel cannon on a stick at different elevations giving him an advantage in range on hills because the lock can only fire at a set speed and distance...
Vidmaster's Oath:
I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my ‘run’ key, and to never, ever, leave a single Bob alive.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Aye....i bet you money that if you go in and edit two units to have the same range.....take the lock and the archer for example (since arch has up, level, and down shooting) and put em both up on that wall.....having set their maximum distance in fear for both monsters...the archer will STILL shoot further than the lock does.....I recall reading something about this in some release notes....let me dig and I'll post further about this information.
lerabu

Post by lerabu »

I dunno much about tags, but does gravity come into play in the engine? It would make sense? You know like a Newtonian enironment.

Ok - argument: how do you determine the weight of a fireball?

Anyhow, I think that in 1.5 we are coming to a consensus on what was needed and what was not (as I can gather from the posts and personal experience)

As it is right now, the settings for ranged units make a lot of sense it seems

PS: Graydon, the website for the Fallen Vengeance is down!
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Ok scratch the above statement of posting more indepth information.....I recall the information I'm seeking to be in one of the prior PB#1 builds release notes....however those have been removed since PB#1s release. I think what the info I was directly looking for goes something along these lines though.....A feature was added to the monster tag for units like archers to no matter what, retain their 'maximum range' as per TFL did....whether an archer was on a hilltop or in a gulley his *maximum* range was always '20' (for example), whereas in Myth II this can fluctuate depending on his terrain height.....hence my reasoning that even if you set a lock AND an archer to have maximum ranges of '20' and put them on that hill on Venice...the archer will *still* shoot further whether you like it or not.....I think this will stay constant in 1.3 and 1.4.x as well. Give it a shot....let me know the results?

PS~ lerabu...yea I'm aware, hence my signature image not loading with all my posts :;):. The site is supposedly switching servers....but has been for the past week...it's gone through a big update, new look and all....I need to go hound my webmonkey :)

Edited By Graydon on 1082749306
lerabu

Post by lerabu »

I need to go hound my webmonkey

Sort it out! I was really interested in seeing whats on it! Don't you love being a spoiled brat?
SneakAttack

Post by SneakAttack »

I don't see why there has to be a problem... Add features such as being able to load as many plugins as you want, enhacned resolutions for lobby areas etc. Other than adding features, improving graphics and removing bugs (such as walk bug for the archer) NOTHING else should be changed. And if adding features and removing bugs is going to destroy the old "1.3" feel, then don't do it at all :( Things such as the dwarf dropping a lit bottle on a hard death from 1.4 really piss the hell out of me, playing a CTF gimble game and having your dwarf blow up your entire force after being shot by an archer sucks, and then thinking to yourself "wtf I've never had that happen before EVER in 1.3." Adding features, improving graphics and removing bugs should be the only things changed, period end of story. My 2¢

-Sneak
SneakAttack

Post by SneakAttack »

Also thx for your dedication to myth projectmagma.