Weird film bug

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Grignard

Post by Grignard »

Got to play some fun games last night in a long time. I saved a couple films and I went to watch them today and instead of the films I saved, I got something completely different. I only saved two films but they are both of another different film I must have had in my collection. If I select it to play the last film, that one is ok. I just reinstalled to everything should be up to date and all that.

Looking forward to more old skool udog games ;)
Baak

Post by Baak »

In my experience I clean out my recordings folder before every match where I want to save films.

There is an odd quirk in Myth that does just what you mentioned - forever overwriting the same film with an old one.

I wrote a Film AutoSaver for the PC years ago and I plan to post it for public use this summer. I'm also toying with making a Mac version, but will have to find the time to do so.

In the meantime, I suggest you move all old recordings to a different folder before starting up Myth for a night of gaming. I use @recordings as a folder name for the old ones.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

If I recall correctly, this happens when you rename a film in the physical recordings folder, rather than renaming it in the game. If you rename the film in the folder, future saved films will be of that renamed film.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Was great to see you the other night, Grig. I'm working on a new top secret map project, so most of the time I'm on PMnet, it's for beta testing purposes. If you let me know what nights you'll be on though, I'd be happy to host some vTFL games instead - or you'd also be more than welcome to join in the testing.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Graydon is correct. Never rename a "Last Recording" film outside of Myth, this will make it so you are no longer able to save films! Instead, you must rename this film within the Myth film-management interface.

If you've already corrupted your films folder in this way, you can resolve it by clicking "Save last recording" in the film management dialog, until that button is greyed out. New films should then save fine again.
Grignard

Post by Grignard »

ChrisP wrote:Was great to see you the other night, Grig. I'm working on a new top secret map project, so most of the time I'm on PMnet, it's for beta testing purposes. If you let me know what nights you'll be on though, I'd be happy to host some vTFL games instead - or you'd also be more than welcome to join in the testing.

Hey I'm down with that. Can I get it from HL? When do you usually get on PM.net?
Grignard

Post by Grignard »

Myrd wrote:Graydon is correct. Never rename a "Last Recording" film outside of Myth, this will make it so you are no longer able to save films! Instead, you must rename this film within the Myth film-management interface.

If you've already corrupted your films folder in this way, you can resolve it by clicking "Save last recording" in the film management dialog, until that button is greyed out. New films should then save fine again.
Thanks for the solutions everyone. I've moved out all the films and will see if things are fixed.
Baak

Post by Baak »

Myrd wrote:Graydon is correct. Never rename a "Last Recording" film outside of Myth, this will make it so you are no longer able to save films! Instead, you must rename this film within the Myth film-management interface.

Over the years we've encountered something simliar without ever touching the recordings directly. Note that this is with *Multiplayer* recordings. Seems to happen when leaving recordings from previous Myth sessions in the folder. Not sure if this is similar in the sense that it has something to do with "reusing" the "reco" tag value (the four-byte reco value) in the subsequent sessions. This was the motivation behind me creating the AutoSaver.

What the AutoSaver does:

a) Monitors "Last Recording", copying the existing portion off to a temp file and comparing all the while. Note this is a bit tricky since it has to check for uniqueness in the recording header while taking into account the few bytes that can be different among different players (i.e. who is host, the reco tag, etc.) - not important here but important in cataloging films. Suffice it to say that it gathers the unique header for a film and compares this along with the entire contents to determine when a Last Recording is "done".

b) When it determines the Last Recording is now a new recording, it recopies the previously saved Last Recording to a newly named recording with its own unique reco tag build into the header. Therefore these recordings files never conflict with existing saved recordings.

c) A nice benefit of running the AutoSaver is that even if a host restarts instantly it will still capture the game's film. This has come in handy countless times.

The AutoSaver works like a charm and has saved thousands of multiplayer films over the years for the OoH (we just broke 5,000 a week or two ago). We also use it in the MWC (several OoH'ers run theirs).

One of my non-map Myth Projects is to make a simple cross-platform version of this neat little app to allow people to save their multiplayer films quickly and easily.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Grig, I usually have a new beta every Thursday and we get together around 11:35 Eastern on PMnet. I'll keep an eye out for you.