Non-gameplay bugs and improvements

Talk about anything here.
Possum Stu

Post by Possum Stu »

I'm moved to write because of the warnings that "this is it for fixes." Almost all the attention I've seen relates to unit behavior. I seem to recall a few other loose ends that could use some tying up:

1. "Last recording" film bug. If you take the file called "last recording" and drop it into your films folder, it corrupts all the films in that directory.

2. Alliances. This was never implemented well. Has any attention been paid to cleaning up scoring? How about an option to "lock in" an alliance in planning time so that accidental damage to an allied unit doesn't cancel the alliance? Lots of room for improvement.

3. Team captains who drop. If you are in the heat of battle and your team captain drops (for whatever reason), another player automatically takes control of that player's units. How about a warning flash or a dialog or something to let you know it just happened? Is there any way to let the member of a team know that they're next in line to captain?

4. In-game host ping. During a game, how about adding a little number next to the players reporting their ping to the host? (Everyone should see the same info.) I MEAN, WOULDN'T IT BE AWESOME TO KNOW IF SOMEONE IS REALLY TRULY LAGGING AND SEEING IT REPORTED ON FILMS??? Excuse me, I got real excited there for a minute.

5. Red vs. Blue. A host option so that regardless of player color, team colors in two-team games fall within a few preset color combos independent of player choices. Ever watch an MWC film where one team is black and the other is white and the map is Winter? You can't see anything on the overhead. Maybe this could be a film replay option.

6. Film management. Is there a limit on the number of films you can have in your recordings folder? I forget. But if you don't have the plugin installed, how about letting the film tell you what it needs? "This is a 1.3 film that needs Creep beta2."

You can see I think there's still room for improvements. Maybe you should finish the bug fixes, take a rest this summer, and wait till next September before closing the book on Myth 2 development once and for all.

Thanks for your attention.

Post by »

I'm not a member of ProjectMagma, nor am I on the M2 beta team, but I think I can answer a few of these.

#3 If your captain drops and you get his units it will say "New Units Recieved" and flash the text at the bottom.

#4 That I think, I think, but I'm not entirely sure, has something to do with the PlayMyth server. So Magma could add in the graphics and text but it'd be up to PlayMyth.net to setup the servers to give this info in game.

#5 There's a way to set it so instead of team colors it shows allies and enemies. So it'd be red, green, and blue. Gah!! *Brain Fart* I can't remember which Funtion key it is!!! But, I believe this works when watching films as well.

Feel free to correct any information I've given. I'll get back to you on the map team colors thing.
Vidmaster's Oath:
I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my ‘run’ key, and to never, ever, leave a single Bob alive.
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

[color=DFC99B]
#5 There's a way to set it so instead of team colors it shows allies and enemies. So it'd be red, green, and blue. Gah!! *Brain Fart* I can't remember which Funtion key it is!!! But, I believe this works when watching films as well.
Mmmm, F9 mb ??[/color]
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
Krusader

Post by Krusader »

#4 That's been integrated into other games like Ghost Recon, would be a nice addition to see who's lagging...but, then it could spur USA vs. EURope controversy over lag, but that's just for FPS.

Sincerely,
Krusader
Krusader Bastard
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

#4 is actually client-side and does not have anything to do with the metaserver. So in reality, it could be implemented, as could most of these suggestions (they're all good) - the only problem is we're pretty late in the game here and it is very unlikely that any of these will make it into 1.5.