What's left for Myth?

Talk about anything here.
Cobalt 7

What's left for Myth?

Post by Cobalt 7 »

What's left for Myth once 1.6 hits official release? It seems that all stability issues have been taken care of, and OOS practically eliminated. The engine has been ramped up and can do things I bet Bungie barely could imagine it capable of back in TFL and Myth 2. We now have extra helpful features like the caplock health. We can Autohost online, we have 2 servers to play on, and have a plethora of handy online features and upgrades. Fear and Loathing are now running better than ever.

What more can be done? Outside of upgrading for Vista, and making sure things run smoothly on Lepard, I don't really know. Any of you have some ideas?
I decided to look up in the sky, and lo and behold there was a BoB. I stared at him, and he stared back. There was silence for a great while until he said in a thunderous, booming voice..."Okay, Okay, DON'T Frogblast the ventcore."
Enculator

Post by Enculator »

add a "restart myth" button.
I hate restarting myth when i install a new plugin.
lazyness !!
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

It would be nice if there was a way for people in the lobby to chat with people in game, or to at least leave them a message. I can't tell you how many times I've logged in to barely miss some friends playing a co-op.
I decided to look up in the sky, and lo and behold there was a BoB. I stared at him, and he stared back. There was silence for a great while until he said in a thunderous, booming voice..."Okay, Okay, DON'T Frogblast the ventcore."
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Cobalt 7 wrote:It would be nice if there was a way for people in the lobby to chat with people in game, or to at least leave them a message. I can't tell you how many times I've logged in to barely miss some friends playing a co-op.
That would be a server issue AND a software one requiring a lot of complicated and unlikely collaboration.

Infact I think its impossible since the host disconnects from server once a game's started, possibly even when you join it.
Oroboros

Post by Oroboros »

When bugs are completely eliminated(!), what drives version upgrades generally are new features.

ChrisP's Mazz series has done a lot for increasing the depth of map design. Often he'd hit a wall, and ask Myrd or CIK to see if they could do something about it in a new release.

I'm not saying Myrd and CIK are going to kowtow to every request (or even do anything - god, there must be mountains to snowboard or water to kayak near them) but having an engine-testing project would be the strongest in-road to another version release.

Don't hold your breath.

-Oro
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Cobalt 7 wrote:It would be nice if there was a way for people in the lobby to chat with people in game, or to at least leave them a message. I can't tell you how many times I've logged in to barely miss some friends playing a co-op.
It's too bad someone hasn't come up with some way for people to chat with each other by typing messages back and forth over the internet. That would be awesome if someone could write some little app that could pop up a window on top of Myth so you could send a message to someone. If someone wrote one that was cross platform that would be ideal.

Any takers?
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

vinylrake wrote:It's too bad someone hasn't come up with some way for people to chat with each other by typing messages back and forth over the internet. That would be awesome if someone could write some little app that could pop up a window on top of Myth so you could send a message to someone. If someone wrote one that was cross platform that would be ideal.

Any takers?
That's sounds like a great idea! A program that sends messages to others that are instant. They could call it an instant messenger. One day the big internet companies like Microsoft, AOL, and Yahoo could make some. We could always hope.
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

Okay, the sarcasm is not appreciated. :x

I just was thinking out loud okay. I just was remembering BattleNet's clunky messaging system, and how you could alert people in game.

Sorry, but I don't play Myth with a teamspeak account, or have the aim of everyone on my friends list. Cut me some slack.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Cobalt 7 wrote:Okay, the sarcasm is not appreciated.
What sarcasm? Is there such a program out there that I don't know of?.. hehe.. We are just joking with ya.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Actually now we have Windowed Mode it is EVEN EASIER to do that than before!
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Pyro wrote:
Cobalt 7 wrote:Okay, the sarcasm is not appreciated.
What sarcasm? Is there such a program out there that I don't know of?.. hehe.. We are just joking with ya.
yah - no offense intended Cobalt - just having a bit of fun. Your description of a solution just sounded so much like an existing technology it was hard to resist.

And while I understand technically why a lobby to in-game chat/messaging function is all but impossible to implement I competely agree that it would be a useful thing to have integrated into Myth.

mb we could urge people to put their AIM/YIM/GIM id in their profile? I think I am going to start doing that, see if I can get the rest of the people I play Myth with to do that ... now if I can just remember to leave iChat running while I am playing Myth...
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

mb we could urge people to put their AIM/YIM/GIM id in their profile? I think I am going to start doing that, see if I can get the rest of the people I play Myth with to do that ... now if I can just remember to leave iChat running while I am playing Myth...
I did that for a while but anyone who added me to a contact list got it from other people on enquiry anyway.

If I'm on Myth, I am on MSN though, and often AIM too. Always. It might explain why I suck so bad.
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

Okay, thanks (I guess) I'll bug the people I play Myth with to keep their AIM on.
Gjallarhorn

Post by Gjallarhorn »

As I said before, I don't like it that killcount is capped at 250+ (ingame) or 255 (post game menu) and this should be fixed immediately.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Gjallarhorn wrote:As I said before, I don't like it that killcount is capped at 250+ (ingame) or 255 (post game menu) and this should be fixed immediately.
WRONG TOPIC! :P