Units appearing

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
gugusm

Units appearing

Post by gugusm »

I have noticed recently some annoying thing. I make something like this:

CTRL.New units appear - link to some invisible units, visible flag
acos ---> OBMO.Camera to new units

OBMO.Camera to new units - destination, facing etc., camera is viewing these new units.

And the problem is that those new units appear after few seconds. This is ugly, because camera shows only landscape first and player have to wait for those units. It can be easily done by modifying script a bit or adding a trigger time, but I think I haven't this problem before. But maybe it was happening always? What do you think, maybe it could be fixed by the other way?

EDIT: I mean can it be avoided, or maybe only I have this little problem.
Fury IX

Post by Fury IX »

Yea I have that problem too, but I don't know why and I just redo my intro to avoid it...
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Well, the CTRL should be set to have 0 delay, but that's probably completely obvious.

If you MOMAed your units into position before making them visible, there can be a big delay. The trick is to have them visible at the start of the map and make them instantly invisible with a CTRL. Then, when you call them to become visible again, they do it instantly.

Also, is your camera cutting straight to the units? If you have it move more slowly to their position, you can get them to appear before the camera gets there--or just as it arrives--without changing how long it takes the units themselves to appear.

Finally, what triggers the CTRL? That could be important.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Aaarghh!!! I have to say again: I'm very stupid!

Thanks for help, but my problem was that I didn't put an observer :oops:
Point

invisible observers...

Post by Point »

I have that happening in the great library.... with my tagset on... the invisible observers show up... and the dark sometimes attack them and kill them before they vanish sometimes triggering a rush it seems... strange this seems new to this last version of 1.6

maybe i need to look back at the mesh and check both invisible flags or something...
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Well, my problem was that I didn't even put my observer on map, but about your example, do you mean, that enemies are attacking invisible observer? Is it possible? When you check "is invisible observer" it shouldn't "really" appear.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

That sounds like a really good bug Point.

I've had that problem before myself Gug. Makes you feel stupid afterwards hey? :)

Good job figuring it out yourself though.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Yeah, I always have big problems while solutions are very simple.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Once on Gate of Storms I accidentally unchecked "is invisible observer" on one of the duff observers. He appeared and was under my control...but the thing is, no enemy would recognize him. I cleared most of the map with that silly duff.

So Point, your problem is pretty weird. Are you sure they're selected as observers in their monster tags, and are marked as not autotargettable in Flags?
Point

not sure

Post by Point »

i will have to watch game films to be sure.... just after the start animation ... a few seconds pass then it says casualties and for a moment I can see the enemy where the observer used to be... so who knows not something I am worried about at this point.. just strange cuz it never happend while testing months ago.
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Datax

Post by Datax »

Your CRTL is activating properly and firing on time. The problem is visibility. Myth updates your visibility mask -- that is, its list of which units are close enough to your units to be visible on the screen -- only once every two to three seconds or so. So when your units 'port in, there's a delay before Myth realizes that you should be able to see what's going on in that part of the map. They're there, they're active, sometimes they're even wandering around and fighting enemies, but it takes a while before your visibility mask catches up.

To fix the problem, activate an invisible observer at the location a couple of seconds before the rest of your script triggers.

I remember struggling for a long time with this problem in Senex Silvae before figuring it out.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Yeah, I always activate observer few seconds before showing certain location, but the problem was that I didn't even put him there :P