Opinions on Myth 3?

Talk about anything here.
Borsook

Opinions on Myth 3?

Post by Borsook »

"Back in the day" I was a huge Myth TFL and Myth 2 fan. For various reasons I did not purchase Myth 3 when it was out, just got it quite recently. Although I decided to replay 1 & 2 before plunging into it, I'm curious whether in your opinion, being experts after all, it does live up to the standards of 1 & 2? I'm pretty suspicious (even though it seems to have good reviews) because of the change of developers.

So what is your opinion?

PS. I am rather interested in single player perspective than MP.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

It's much worse than either TFL or SB.

It's riddled with issues, even after all the updates. And the issues span the whole game. The UI is ugly. Units are unbalanced. The level difficulties are not consistent. The graphics look awkward. The gameplay feels very different from Myth. The story isn't consistent with Bungie's. Etc.

Even the manual is full of typos.

It's worth checking out, but there is a reason why people prefer Myth II.
Amadeus

Re: Opinions on Myth 3?

Post by Amadeus »

Borsook wrote:"Back in the day" I was a huge Myth TFL and Myth 2 fan. For various reasons I did not purchase Myth 3 when it was out, just got it quite recently. Although I decided to replay 1 & 2 before plunging into it, I'm curious whether in your opinion, being experts after all, it does live up to the standards of 1 & 2? I'm pretty suspicious (even though it seems to have good reviews) because of the change of developers.

So what is your opinion?

PS. I am rather interested in single player perspective than MP.
I didn't enjoy single player, but multi I enjoyed alot.

Most people hated both.
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

How much you enjoy myth 3 may well depend on how much you really played the previous myths.

What I mean is I was a big supporter of myth 3 back in 2003 and 04, but then by playing myth 2 multi (only played offline in the past) the gameplay seemed horrible.

Few obvious things
1. Fetch shouldn't have been introduced at all, they have though and they 'feel' all wrong. Same with journeymen. However this won't affect your solo level play.

2. Anti-clump. I know there's quite a few fans of pure TFL and vTFL here, but I reckon it hurts myth 3 a lot. However maybe the unit graphics would get screwed in m3 with clumping, it wouldn't surprise me.

3. Unit balance. This is the all important thing, forget graphics glitches and all that, this is what matters to make the game basically enjoyable. The original release version has plenty of faults and there's just as many in the latest patches.

4. Maps too dark? Hmm some complained about that including me, but I had a really bad monitor so maybe no longer an issue.

Errr...anyway you asked about single player. There are quite a few fun myth 3 levels to play in the campaign, but not quite so many as in previous myths. The first couple of levels are especially terrible, but you have to persevere.
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Voice acting was terrible. So was the music.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Borsook

Post by Borsook »

Baron LeDant wrote: 2. Anti-clump. I know there's quite a few fans of pure TFL and vTFL here, but I reckon it hurts myth 3 a lot. However maybe the unit graphics would get screwed in m3 with clumping, it wouldn't surprise me.
Forgive me my ignorance but what is clumping and anti-clump?
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

Basically with anti-clumping, your units cannot be bunched too tightly. This means units will get stuck behind others more often and in my own opinion this makes the game less enjoyable.
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
Borsook

Post by Borsook »

Baron LeDant wrote:Basically with anti-clumping, your units cannot be bunched too tightly. This means units will get stuck behind others more often and in my own opinion this makes the game less enjoyable.
Thanx for the info.
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

It was a POS.

the most fun i ever had on m3 was beating levels that you were only ment to run away on, by killing evreything that was on the map.

the fun in m3 single player comes in trying to mess with the scripting.

Spider god and Crypt of Mazzarin are cool good looking spooky levels.

It was a good try for 1 year of development..kinda.

They tried to make it all too pretty, and made crap like animated trees that bend with splosions nearby....but they didnt even make it so wars could block with their shields....they allways lost 1on1 vs thrall.

The Iron trow and the pike styg were really cool though...also axe dorfs was fun.

-Renwood
Persica purnus constans dum orbis exustio. Exsequor exequor!
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

IMO Myth 1 & 2 are much better, but I think M3 is surely worth checking out and I even liked it.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

I have fun with it when I cheat just for mass mayhem's sake. :D . Some levels are really fun if you replace all of your warriors with Iron Trow...
The cake is a lie.
vinylrake

Re: Opinions on Myth 3?

Post by vinylrake »

Borsook wrote:"Back in the day" I was a huge Myth TFL and Myth 2 fan. For various reasons I did not purchase Myth 3 when it was out, just got it quite recently. Although I decided to replay 1 & 2 before plunging into it, I'm curious whether in your opinion, being experts after all, it does live up to the standards of 1 & 2?...
The only really outstanding improvement Myth III had over Myth I & II is the new way that dwarves walk. Talk about having some 'junk in your trunk', man are they cexi or what?!?! grrrrrrrr!
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Baron LeDant wrote:Basically with anti-clumping, your units cannot be bunched too tightly. This means units will get stuck behind others more often and in my own opinion this makes the game less enjoyable.
That's the case when standard Myth 2 pathfinding is used. Units stuck behind others walk back and forth looking for a way through, which they can't find, and never try to go around. TFL's pathfinding, which vTFL and the builtin Anticlump in Myth 2 use, lets units keep walking around a blockage until they find a clear path, so you see far less of the annoying back & forth behaviour.

When units can clump together artillery & missile tend to dominate the gameplay and melee battles can dissolve into mashed up muddles where you can't see what's going on. Neither clumped or anti-clumped gameplay is perfect - both have good and bad aspects & everyone has their own personal preference.

Unfortunately, Myth 3 prevented clumping but used Myth 2's pathfinding :lol:
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Horus

Post by Horus »

I never really got into M3 personally, though that's probably more to do with the fact that my Mac could barely play it (I wonder how well it would play on my much newer pc...).

One of the aspects that I liked with M3 was the ability to add a person icon to your Battle standard, and certain units. Beyond that there isn't really anything I can think of...

Negative things on the other hand...

1. Laboured attacks were you couldn't actually tell if the unit was hitting the opponent or swinging the sword around his head...

2. Dwarf bottles were pretty crappy.

3. The storyline...

4. Connacht from Gower with a bad Scottish accent...
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

the explosion effects in myth III were awful. Lock fireball had no shockwave, can't even know if the fireball actually blew up. Dwarven bottles had no debris, purple smoke and poor sound.

Lighting was amazing though.