Some small wishes - Wishes

Talk about anything here.
brokencow

Post by brokencow »

So i know you probably get a billion of these, but here are my wishes for another patch, if there is one.

Figure out what the buffer overun error is and get rid of it.

Figure out what causes huge huge lag when you look at water with graphics card on, every single person i talk to that had this problem badly was using a GeForce i think.

Get rid of the cancel button for when game ends. Everyone ALWAYS cancels. Every single game. So why not just let it time out normally?

I don't think canceling cause that many problems, but everyone does it everytime, and it seems to do this:
-cause host to rehost
-makes games take longer to count, MIGHT make them not count but i doubt that.
-makes me wait a long time
-makes order matches count as regular matches (Well it did on bungie.net, not sure if things have changed.)

My solution is that you just let it time out at lets say, 30 seconds or something, problem solved.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

We're already working on both the buffer overrun and the water lag for 1.5.1.

Not a bad idea re the Cancel button ... we'll look into it :)
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Baak

Post by Baak »

Hey Iron,

Great job to all the developers on 1.5!! :D

I was wondering on the water lag - viewed a film from last week on "Picket Fences" (a map we've been playing for years) and it goes into slide-show mode as you view the film playback.

It appears to do this whenever water is in the camera view - which is often. But not all maps with water seem to be THIS bad.

I've noticed this kind of thing also on Green Paradise - not necessarily the water as we haven't played it using 1.5 yet - but both Picket Fences and Green Paradise have a LOT of wildlife on them. (That's one of the reasons I convert the wildlife in Rocket Dorf Fest! ;) )

Don't know if the film would help - but I can send it to you if you like (have it right here).

BTW: I'm on either WinMe or Win2KPro on an AMD 1GHz with a Radeon SDR card.

Also BTW: I *just* started looking at the 1.5 Fear/Loathing tweaks - OMG - got me really thinking now! Was wanting to have a variety of T-Attacks and am thinking mb that having units start with several artifacts could give the ability to toggle T-Attacks via the new nventory key. Not sure if I grok it completely yet - will play with it on a weekend or late night as soon as life permits! ;)

Seeya,
~Baak

P.S. Thanks again all of you at Magma for your work on 1.5! :D
brokencow

Post by brokencow »

another random and obscure idea i had was that allied teams can not contest each others flags (or at least when game ends) because in theory you could wait forever until your ally has tagged everything or until you've gotten more stuff. There are unwritten (and written) rules you can't do this in tournies but theres always some issue over it, so any solutions are welcome.
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

There are also scoring issues with allying I think. Also it would be nice to be able to restart a game even if the host drops.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Baak, units with multiple artifacts/inventory is definetly the way to go. It allows you up to 10 times the number of different attacks per unit compared to pre-1.5.
Baak

Post by Baak »

:: Runs for towel to wipe up drool ::

Holy cow. :D

While admittedly I haven't had a chance to dive into the manual(s) yet, is it possible to start units with those multiple artifacts via Fear [1.5]?

In other words, could I do it via plugins rather than at the map level (i.e. Loathing [1.5])?

Please oh please oh please say yes! :;):
Archer

Post by Archer »

By the by, another bug with 1.5: you can "click through" open menus, so if you're paused or have the hint menu open anything you click on there will also act as if you'd clicked on the map beyond, possibly causing your units to go all sorts of weird places when you return to battle.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

[color=DFC99B]
Baak wrote::: Runs for towel to wipe up drool ::

Holy cow. :D

While admittedly I haven't had a chance to dive into the manual(s) yet, is it possible to start units with those multiple artifacts via Fear [1.5]?

In other words, could I do it via plugins rather than at the map level (i.e. Loathing [1.5])?

Please oh please oh please say yes! :;):
Heya BaaK :o)

IIRC, you will have to have the ARTIs on the map and set up a CTRL to give them to the units.[/color]
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

Archer wrote:By the by, another bug with 1.5: you can "click through" open menus, so if you're paused or have the hint menu open anything you click on there will also act as if you'd clicked on the map beyond, possibly causing your units to go all sorts of weird places when you return to battle.

~J
[color=DFC99B]Aye, I thought I had pointed this out in an earlier build/beta, however my good but short memory cannot verify that for me. :oO[/color]
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

mb 1.5.1 could feature a way of hiding urself from other players in ur buddys and order. I've wanted to hide sometimes. Also what about increasing player max above 16. not many hosts can take it but some can so why not have it anyway? An interface skin changer would b handy 2.
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

GHOST® wrote:
Archer wrote:By the by, another bug with 1.5: you can "click through" open menus, so if you're paused or have the hint menu open anything you click on there will also act as if you'd clicked on the map beyond, possibly causing your units to go all sorts of weird places when you return to battle.

~J
Aye, I thought I had pointed this out in an earlier build/beta, however my good but short memory cannot verify that for me. :oO
That has always been like that. It also is not a bad thing.
“LORD, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off!”
Sarah Noelle Pratt Ferguson
El Tainted Blissarino

Post by El Tainted Blissarino »

Well I've asked for this for each build ever since development of 1.4 was announced, so I'll ask one more time...

Can you do something about the problem when a captain drops before trading? Would it be possible to send the UT bar to the next in command if the "submit" button hasn't been pressed by the time the cap leaves?
I'm not into that whole "brevity" thing.
grim

Post by grim »

Do not get rid of the cancel button please.

You could give support for old films though, that's what everyone's hoping. You can't even watch last year's mwc films anymore.
:-)
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

I was thinking of bringing support for 1.4.1-4 films back, however most of last year's MWC was played using the original 1.4. The problem is that Patch 1.4 was changed sometime during the 1.4.x releases - remember the dwarf hard death explosion drama? What that means is that even if we coded in support for 1.4 films, they're still likely to go OOS because a gameplay change has been made in the patch.

1.3 films still work in 1.5 btw.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder