New Campaign: The Groove Levels. Need help.

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Diamondex

New Campaign: The Groove Levels. Need help.

Post by Diamondex »

You read correctly! Groove Dwarves.

During the Fallen's assault on Myrgard during the Great War, the non-violent hippie Dwarves were separated from their blood-loving kin. Now they are forced back to the side of the mountain facing the sea. Before they can run, the Ghols cut off the path following the coast, and the Groovy Duffs are trapped.

Non-violent units make playing the game very different. Instead of the BOOM haha you're dead Dwarf, you have the Give peace a chance dwarf, the Dwarven Groove Master, along with a variety of other Groovy Duffs.

The beginning part of the campaign is played trying to escape from a seemingly unending Ghol horde that follows you. Because you only have non-violent Duffs, this is a problem. You must spend a big chunk of tactical hoo-hah to delay the Ghol advance by trapping, tricking, and stunning the Ghols as well as you can, to let the majority of the Duffs make it to safety.

The journal entries are of a fisherman who fled to the ocean during Myth II, and after about a month alone in a seemingly endless sea finds himself washed up on an Island with strange Dwarves with purple beards who welcome him, and tell him their history.

Most of the writing is done for this, although expect an edit here or there later on. Planning is in the halfway stages because I don't know what will or won't be possible later on, but I have a good layout of the levels so far.

OK, so what I need help with, and why you're reading this, other than for a laugh. I'm confused by anything more than rudimentary scripting, and I have yet to find a tutorial for understanding the tutorials on Amber. I'm a Fear kinda guy, and even with that I'm not perfect. What I need is help with pregame stuffs, colormapping, mapping, and scripting. Big load of stuff, and I'll probably need help with Fear, too. Yeeaah... I'm asking for volunteers, to help the Groovy cause. Free Groove Cannons for all volunteers! Well, maybe. :P
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

This sounds like an excellent idea. I think it would be a great way to push myth's capabilities beyond basic shooting ang slashing.
Unfortunately, my knowledge base is about the same as yours- I know next to nothing about amber or colormapping. I would be of no help on your project. Maybe I can answer a few questions about Fear, if you have any.

One cool thought- in a mod of mine I implemented a feature (without scripting) that allows units to place barricades that block other units from advancing. I don't know if any other mods have anything similar, but it sounds like something these Buddhist dwarves could use in their arsenal of non-violent means of self-defense.

Good luck!
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

Here is what I can tell you about being a new(b) mapper. As I am still one but I'd say I've hit amatuer finally.

First off I hate hippies. Republicans all the way. Cant increase wealth by dividing it. But politics aside...

Volunteers are few and far between especially without experience or any kind of a track record. I started my plug thinking scripting is hard. It is but its not and your going to find very few who want to do it for you if any at all. Best advice. Try it yourself. Place some units on the Tutorial map or w/e follow Ares scripting guide and get on HL and see if someone can help you when you hit problems.

Pyro was a big help for me in several ways. The biggest being not answering me until I eventually figured it out. There's going to be a lot of guess and check and if you're not willing to take the time and learn how to map/script why would anyone put time into your idea?

With all that said go Download B19 DDAT from my udogs its near completion and a great battle between the Watcher and Deceiver. Alot of people helped with it in many many ways and I want to thank them.

I would lose this hippie dof map everytime just to see them suffer.
Diamondex

Post by Diamondex »

Deqlyn wrote:Here is what I can tell you about being a new(b) mapper. As I am still one but I'd say I've hit amatuer finally.

First off I hate hippies. Republicans all the way. Cant increase wealth by dividing it. But politics aside...

I would lose this hippie do[r]f map every time just to see them suffer.
Wow, you're evil! Anyhoo, thx for the advice, and the shameless plug, I'll try it.

STATUS REPORT

I've implemented new units and new projectiles, such as the Groovy Demolitionist, which uses easy Fear-work. It throws a normal Dwarf bottle, but it does no damage. It also uses up all the duff's mana. What's the point of this unit you ask? Well, you didn't ask, but I'm telling you anyway.

First, let me draw your attention to the other helpful reply I received.
Viktor wrote: One cool thought- in a mod of mine I implemented a feature (without scripting) that allows units to place barricades that block other units from advancing. I don't know if any other mods have anything similar, but it sounds like something these Buddhist dwarves could use in their arsenal of non-violent means of self-defense.
This unit uses a different method of that. Its satchel charges, which take half of the unit's mana to drop, stone all enemies within a radius of it. It's almost if not as powerful as a normal Duff's satchel charges, but it plays an important role in delaying the Ghol horde which is chasing you. By stoning the Ghols in front of the others, you not only essentially kill them, but you also block the advance, leaving more time to escape. Now you see how the normal attack is used, to detonate the satchels. This was an easy unit to make, with extremely simple Fearwork, and it plays a vital role.

And that's but one of the many things I've implemented in TGL. Although no levels are done, as of yet, it will not be long. I still need volunteers, however, mostly for Loathing work and scripting. Not to say I didn't read your comment about learning to script, Deqlyn. Like I said, I know rudimentary scripting. I know most of the basics, but I have yet to indulge myself in ADVANCED scripting, as I would like for TGL, although unless anyone volunteers, it's gonna be a while before TGL is released.

Groove on, mates!

~Groove Master Diamondex~
"..he taught me the true Groove of life, and I studied under him for years.. As he left for the final time, I asked him what he truly was. He replied: a Groove Master, as you have now become.."
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

"Its satchel charges, which take half of the unit's mana to drop, stone all enemies within a radius of it."

Cannabis charges, perhaps? Seems fitting :)
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

If you know all the scripting in the Ares tutorial, you might try reading this one for the next level up.