Myth 3 textures

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Khadrelt

Myth 3 textures

Post by Khadrelt »

Is there a way to edit the textures of Myth 3 characters? I can view the texture stacks in Ballistic, but there doesn't seem to be a way to import/export them.
The cake is a lie.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Myth 3 textures

Post by Pyro »

I can't recall, but you might be able to extract them using UnTag. UnTag can export tags from TFL gor files, M2 plugins, and M3 plugins as well.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Speaking sort of on topic, is there a way to extract Myth III detail textures?
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

UnTag lets me extract the texture tag (thanks, Pyro), but after that, how do you stick it back in? It's still a Myth III plugin when it's extracted. I opened it in GraphicConverter, and I could edit it, but I can't get it to go back in. Ballistic won't let me import the edited jpg.
The cake is a lie.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

From http://mything.org/index.php?a=article- ... 0000000453 (which is ironically enough from a post on the old Magma forums.)

"How can I extract texture stacks from Myth III maps/plugins?

Q: How can I extract textures from Myth 3 maps?

A: Use Killswitch's excellent 'Patchwork' application.

------------------ comment below from magma forums

"Patchwork will extract the JPG files out of Myth 3 texture stacks. (To extract the texture stacks from the monolithic tag files, use UnTag.) Additionally, it will recompile the sliced up mesh images back into one huge JPG for your viewing/editing pleasure.

This exports the picture data from texture stacks. Texture stacks are image files for Myth 3. They are similar to collections (.256 files) in Myth TFL & SB.

Terrains use texture stacks for showing different textures on the map. Units use them for skin texture (team colored areas, shiny areas like armor, etc).

Using Patchwork, you could export a unit's skin, edit it slightly, then reimport it using Ballistic. (Like if you wanted to lighten the units so they were more visible instead of gray on slightly-darker-gray.)

Additionally, you could use it to export a Myth 3 map's colormap then maybe bring it into Loathing and make a map for Myth II. Lots of uses. :cool:

As for unit animations: Myth 3 uses 3d models for units (as opposed to sprites for TFL & SB). The animations for these models are nothing more than bone animations (like a 3d modelling app would do). Just change the unit's texture stack and ALL of its animations (walking, attacking, etc) will use the updated texture.

-- killswitch"
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Thanks!
The cake is a lie.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Well, I can extract the textures and edit them, but combining them doesn't seem to work. In the little Patchwork dialog where it asks you to input the size of the texture, it won't let me change the values...so I'm stuck with 1x1, which doesn't import the entire colormap.

And even if that worked, I still can't figure out how to import the texture maps into Ballistic. Choosing 'import colormap' yields no results; it just doesn't do anything at all, not even an error message.
The cake is a lie.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

hmmm.... not sure if this is of any help or not (M3 mapmaking is a topic I am blissfully ignorant of) - but this article looks like it describes how to import detail textures.

http://mything.org/index.php?a=article- ... 0000002453

all the m3 mapmaking articles/info I have cataloged can be found at the link below - mb something of use?

http://mything.org/index.php?a=article- ... v3=article
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Thanks again—those tutorials were perfect. I've got it working now.
The cake is a lie.
Sonixboom

Post by Sonixboom »

Pyro wrote:I can't recall, but you might be able to extract them using UnTag. UnTag can export tags from TFL gor files, M2 plugins, and M3 plugins as well.

something about that sounds right...

-Sonix
Anyone interested in joining my clan drop me a line.