Post your MYTH screenshot of the day...

Talk about anything here.
carlinho

Re: Post your MYTH screenshot of the day...

Post by carlinho »

hahaha I was talking to point yesterday, and you couldn't have said it better...
"to myself" hahaha
if I have to go back to a shitty low res unit scheme I think I would start modding for some other game.
Point digresses on this matter, he says it's all about playability,
i do concur playability is #1
but in 2010 if your game is not pretty or graphic wise interesting, no one new will like to play it.
but then, i'm just 1 opinion
:roll:
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Point

Post by Point »

Carlino is right graphics are cool and needed at the best resolution the engine can handle / computers can handle...

But asteroids is still fun... so keep game play first then pretty it up with action effects and turn down the lights and double bag the units if it is the only way the game play can be smooth lag free and fun... :)

from past and current experience... ie (16 angle scenery i did for CPR long ago) macs hung up when camera passed over the scenery no matter the speed of the mac... pc's didnt have that problem though crashed when encountering a more than 256pixel high palm tree or flag in game.... this is way old news though who knows maybe the mac buggish action for 16 view items is still around.

may the magma gods figure it out and peeps can get back to posting screen shots on this thread... :)

viva la new Warfare all WWII
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

Keep in mind its not the "Fault" of plugins with larger size sprite images that modern "High end macs" cant play them smoothly. Its not even the video card's fault, its the video card's DRIVERS that are to blame for slower performance on newer macs thats the bottleneck. Allthough it would be nice if myth was coded with a little something extra to handle these larger unit sprite collections. BUT then again myth ALLREADY HAS BEEN!? Isnt that what the video card texture allocation that myrd added was about?

I have been a PC gamer for a REALLY LONG TIME, and evrey game ive played there are allways some system setups that SHOULD be able to handle things based on other comparable system's specs but for whatever reason they cant. mostly its a video card driver issue, or maybe a motherboard chipset issue. This is where CONSOLES have PC's and Mac BEAT. They all pretty much have the EXACT same system spces and its pretty strait forward how a program/game will run on one PS3 or the next, or one XBOX360 or the next.
Persica purnus constans dum orbis exustio. Exsequor exequor!
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

slight clarification, I don't believe anyone has said that new "high end macs" had difficulty running the myth plugins with giant bit-mapped sprites (although your condescending use of quotes to indicate you don't consider Macs that can't run your plugin high end is noted).

What people have said is that *SOME* BRAND NEW Macs have difficulty running huge sprite filled plugins - specifically the iMac and MacMini - neither of which are considered anywhere near 'high end'. A high end mac would be a Mac Pro (desktop) or a MacBook Pro (laptop). That's why some players with older machines don't have problems - they are playing on a 3-4 year old top-of-the-line MacBook Pro which has no trouble running the mega unit plugins, while a brand new Mini or iMac (entry-mid-level Mac) does have trouble.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

I'm sorry, but a 2000$ imac with a 8800GS and 3.06gh dual core IS high end to me. It may not be THE most high-end, but I am pretty sure its much more powerful than 90% of all computers in myth's community
Try this funny game, it's free, broswer based and doesn't ask for email.www.mybrute.com
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

i was not being condescending VR, i was quoting people that said to me their "High End Mac" coundlt run it smoothly. VR never forget this is TEXT we are all dealing with here, and you cant tell the inflection in my voice when things are said.

Some of them were people with Mac Pro computers.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Renwood wrote:i was not being condescending VR, i was quoting people that said to me their "High End Mac" coundlt run it smoothly. ... Some of them were people with Mac Pro computers.
[sigh] I know you will ignore this, but COULD YOU PLEASE CITE ONE PERSON WHO REPORTED POOR PERFORMANCE PLAYING TWindA or the Greek Tagset on a Mac Pro?

Reading back through the two threads about both the Greek Unit set and TWindA performance issues to see if I missed something, other than my comments about my 2009 Mac MINI (not pro) here's all the machine Mac-specific performance comments I could find:

"Funny, it wasn't too laggy when I tried on my 2007 MacBook Pro." -- Myrd

"mine is set to 512 megs, it wasnt so bad, but got pretty laggy in big melee fights (around 10 fps) - imac" Zeph

" I have one of those new 24" iMacs from early 2009 (an $1,800 value), and I doubt that it has been outmoded in so little time. For the sake of comparison, I get roughly 100-125 frames per second in normal Myth, but only 20-25 frames per second in the new (amazing) Wind Age demo." -- jestrel

then later "I installed 1.7.1 Beta #2 and performance is great at full 1920x1200 resolution" -jestrel
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

well VR if you can read past saved chat on mnet, and if you go back and read it all for the few days i was on playing it with a lot of people and getting their feedback, then you can see for yourself. and while your at it read the in game chats of the tons of games that i played in. O wait you CANT do that can you?

Are you silly enough to think that evreybody who plays myth ALSO POSTS on magma forums?

somehow i dout that.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Lol, as an administrator, he probably CAN access those logs. I wonder.
Horus

Post by Horus »

Graydon wrote:Carl, I think you're one of the very few people that frequent these forums, that actually has a 512mb graphics card.
I have one of those. Though I guess my infrequent visits don't count as "frequenting"... :lol:
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

ren,

you are writing on the forums here, there's been a lot of discussion HERE about performance and Macs, so I am supposed to read your mind and know that you meant a conversation outside the forum? Yeah i get it, this forum isn't the world, but in a conversation about Myth that's been discussed on this forum it's reasonable to assume when you make a claim in this forum you meant a comment here on the forum.

odd though that no one here, where people are doing beta testing and pay close attention to system specs haven't had problems with Mac Pros and TWindA. Probably just a coincidence that the alleged comments occured somewhere there's no record of, right?

and given your rather loose understanding of technology and computers (ex. assuring me multiple times that more RAM would make TWindA run better - despite logic, Myrd's comments and reality to the contrary), it's not beyondthe realm of possibility that you were confusing mac models. To be fair, I don't keep track of PC graphics cards or OS versions, I don't expect you to keep track of Mac versions, I do though expect you to be able to back up the claims you make (which you somehow conveniently choose to ignore).

and get over your delusions, i can't read mariusnet chat logs or in-game conversations I am not present for any more than you can.
Point

Post by Point »

um SCREEN SHOTS yes thats what this threads about...

POST SOME SCREEN SHOTS
and not of lobby chat... but of in game mythy good stuff...

:)
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

I would post screenshots, but i protest any website that i cant directly upload images to. or can you do that here now?

VR more RAM if your not over the limit your OS will use will ALLWAYS MAKE ANYTHING RUN FASTER!

Im a hardware guy through and through, so you can shove that one.
and im done talking to you forever. You are hopeless and seem to be filled with random amounts of hate. And really ive got a lot better things myth related to do then to convice you of things all the time.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Renwood wrote:I would post screenshots, but i protest any website that i cant directly upload images to. or can you do that here now?
How hard is it to to copy/paste links of screenshots you have uploaded? I mean, you've stated how much you know about how things work... networks, hardware, and/or something I forget. I'm sure you can copy/paste between IMG tags or even URL tags just fine.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

on pc
ctrl-c
ctrl-v
Here's a quick tutorial on how it works : http://www.auctionsupplies.com/close/cnpclose.htm (HEY LOOK YOU CAN EVEN PASTE LINKS!!!!!!!)

Ren, don't you have a myth4thewindage.com web ? How hard is it to upload it there and link. You have a udogs.net folder ? How fucking hard is it to upload it there and copy paste the link. There, 2 solutions
Try this funny game, it's free, broswer based and doesn't ask for email.www.mybrute.com