Making my first unit

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Sight

Making my first unit

Post by Sight »

I am using a program called blender to model an HD warrior. He is to be a very complex unit, which may raise eyebrows as it will be my first. but I know the basics of fear so most of it won't be too difficult. All I need help with it texturing, and getting my hands on a program called Oak. Not sure about Oak, but I know that Souly uses Blender so I would request his guidence with texturing my model so it doesn't always look like a terminator.

I also have a thred on the Mariusnet forums which you may do well to just look at. Here you can find a few details on my plan for this HD war
http://www.mariusnet.com/ubbthreads.php ... #Post24813
Sight

Re: Making my first unit

Post by Sight »

I have just uploaded a picture of my modeling progress to my udogs folder. Here's the link:

http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20Us ... re%201.jpg
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I'd suggest you get the unit modeled, rigged, and animated before you start working with textures. Facing the surfaces can quite easily be the last step in the process.

Souly's been MIA for about a year, with the odd couple hours here and there of him surfacing on hotline or something. That being said, I'm sure there's tons of tutorials on how to apply textures in Blender. Making them is up to your own artistic processes with whatever editing suite you prefer. :)
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

Sight wrote:I am using a program called blender to model an HD warrior. He is to be a very complex unit, which may raise eyebrows as it will be my first. but I know the basics of fear so most of it won't be too difficult. All I need help with it texturing, and getting my hands on a program called Oak. Not sure about Oak, but I know that Souly uses Blender so I would request his guidence with texturing my model so it doesn't always look like a terminator.

I also have a thred on the Mariusnet forums which you may do well to just look at. Here you can find a few details on my plan for this HD war
http://www.mariusnet.com/ubbthreads.php ... #Post24813
A good start is to get a black and white grid. Decide which areas you need textured with different textures. Set up a texture with this black and white checker grid for each one of these. From there adjust the uv mappings so that this grid appears to be non-distorted on your unit. Once this is done, take a screenshot of the uv mapping display (should be the checker grid with poitns and lines on it representing the triangles and vertexes of your model) and throw it in a graphics editing program. From there you just have graphic work to do.

This is more for low poly, but will work in high poly too. Likely you'll start mapping using tools in your 3d program that make it easier (a cylinder wrap, for example, around the torso of your model).

If you box model, it is by far much better to do this first rather than latter. Before your primitives get high poly counts, uv map them, then do whatever smoothing/subdivision etc effects you need.
balor

Post by balor »

could you post blender online
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

balor wrote:could you post blender online
the program itself? it's a free application, just search for 'blender' +download.