Ballistic ver 1.1 rendering problem

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
nikhilR

Ballistic ver 1.1 rendering problem

Post by nikhilR »

Hi,
I've recently downloaded Ballistic ver 1.1 for myth TWA.
When I try to open a mesh. The render window is all messed up.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6310 ... roblem.png

This happens with every mesh and skeletal model render windows.
The mesh seems to have rendered beneath the mess

Any ideas on what might be wrong?
vinylrake

Re: Ballistic ver 1.1 rendering problem

Post by vinylrake »

might also try contacting one of the developers of Ballistic, his website is http://www.elusivemind.com
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

nikhilR wrote:Hi,
I've recently downloaded Ballistic ver 1.1 for myth TWA.
When I try to open a mesh. The render window is all messed up.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6310 ... roblem.png

This happens with every mesh and skeletal model render windows.
The mesh seems to have rendered beneath the mess

Any ideas on what might be wrong?
I worked on Ballistic.

What are you running it on? I remember this being an issue with Vengeance but I don't think I've seen it since then.
nikhilR

Post by nikhilR »

Hi Amadeus,
It was a driver issue I think.
I don't have a graphics accelerator,
(Just the onboard video adapter Intel 82945G Express Chipset).

I tried it at a friends computer (he has a Nvidia Graphics accelerator) and Ballistic worked perfectly there.
Is I possible for me to run ballistic with my current configuration?
(I do intend to upgrade however)

Btw, the unit models didn't show on the terrain (at my friends place). Only their markers showed up
What settings must I use to enable unit models so I can see em?
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

I'm not sure; our old knowledge base is gone now that ff disolved. I'd be glad to help though. What version of Windows are you using (or Mac)?

I'll check about the map markers. Its been years, but I think you could at some point click off the rendering of models in a checkbox panel or something similar (maybe a pulldown). I'd look there.

I'll be reinstalling soon, so I'll let you know when that happens and my results.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

There's a number of other issues concerning Ballistic on OSX at least:

- In the File Menu, "Build Plugin From Local", "Build Foundation Tags", and "Update Tag Formats" all do not function anymore.
- Sometimes when trying to work with some random tag files, Bal will open a copy of itself in itself with what looks to be a terminal window which says 'Assertion (fp) failed in "tags.cpp", line 89'. The only way to remedy this is to force quit it.
- When working with mesh tags, after a certain amount of time, Bal will simply stop showing new units or scenery you placed on the mesh. You have to Tab out to another program, move some Bal windows around, and come back to the mesh window, and it will see the units again for a short time.
- There is no way to band select tags and drag them as a group into a new tag or somewhere else, you have to do each one by one.
- When you try to drag a folder from All Tags Files, for example Objects, onto an unsaved tag file, it will bring up the terminal like window again and give 'Assertion (e) failed in "tags.cpp", line 1143'.
- M3 does not recognize plugins made by Bal it seems anymore. I created a 'Godmode' plugin for M3 (http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/myth-3-godmode), which I thought worked okay. However I've had two people now saying it doesn't load and isn't even seen in the plugins folder. I tried to create a new plugin, but with the same results.
EDIT: From the Bal log, this seems to be a good idea why: "revengeapp.cpp, line #353: File >> Build Plugin :: This is not yet functional. Sorry."

Some additional info:
- It appears this terminal like interface is SIOUX: Simple Input/Output User Exchange
- The updated Ballistic that Blades posted shows it as:
Ballistic v1.0.1 (Benedict) Log :: Build 138
------------------------------------------
revengeapp.cpp, line #141: Loaded tags in the 'tags' folder.
revengeapp.cpp, line #152: Loaded tags in the 'local' folder.
revengeapp.cpp, line #163: Loaded tags in the 'plugins' folder.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Have you tried Vengeance and checked if it has these issues too?
nikhilR

Post by nikhilR »

Yup, same rendering problem with Vengeance. Sort of like a thin immovable film of static over the mesh rendered underneath.
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

Hrm, as soon as I get it installed I'll give it a look, though I no longer run Mac.
GodzFire wrote:There's a number of other issues concerning Ballistic on OSX at least:

- In the File Menu, "Build Plugin From Local", "Build Foundation Tags", and "Update Tag Formats" all do not function anymore.
- Sometimes when trying to work with some random tag files, Bal will open a copy of itself in itself with what looks to be a terminal window which says 'Assertion (fp) failed in "tags.cpp", line 89'. The only way to remedy this is to force quit it.
- When working with mesh tags, after a certain amount of time, Bal will simply stop showing new units or scenery you placed on the mesh. You have to Tab out to another program, move some Bal windows around, and come back to the mesh window, and it will see the units again for a short time.
- There is no way to band select tags and drag them as a group into a new tag or somewhere else, you have to do each one by one.
- When you try to drag a folder from All Tags Files, for example Objects, onto an unsaved tag file, it will bring up the terminal like window again and give 'Assertion (e) failed in "tags.cpp", line 1143'.
- M3 does not recognize plugins made by Bal it seems anymore. I created a 'Godmode' plugin for M3 (http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/myth-3-godmode), which I thought worked okay. However I've had two people now saying it doesn't load and isn't even seen in the plugins folder. I tried to create a new plugin, but with the same results.
EDIT: From the Bal log, this seems to be a good idea why: "revengeapp.cpp, line #353: File >> Build Plugin :: This is not yet functional. Sorry."

Some additional info:
- It appears this terminal like interface is SIOUX: Simple Input/Output User Exchange
- The updated Ballistic that Blades posted shows it as:
Ballistic v1.0.1 (Benedict) Log :: Build 138
------------------------------------------
revengeapp.cpp, line #141: Loaded tags in the 'tags' folder.
revengeapp.cpp, line #152: Loaded tags in the 'local' folder.
revengeapp.cpp, line #163: Loaded tags in the 'plugins' folder.
I'm doing some work on the engine and tool soon. When I do, I'll take a look at these as it will likely effect me too.
Korialstrasz

Post by Korialstrasz »

If I understand well, we would have to create new plugins with Vengeance?
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

Not sure about that yet.

I've got Myth reinstalled and the codebase I'll get compiling tongiht. I see a different display in Ballistic than you do, but its likely the same issue. I'll see what I can do about that once I get the code compiling again.

I also have an exciting new project in the works.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Ama pop on uDogs HL tonight if u can.
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

Amadeus wrote:I'm not sure; our old knowledge base is gone now that ff disolved. I'd be glad to help though. What version of Windows are you using (or Mac)?

I'll check about the map markers. Its been years, but I think you could at some point click off the rendering of models in a checkbox panel or something similar (maybe a pulldown). I'd look there.

I'll be reinstalling soon, so I'll let you know when that happens and my results.
It was in the Mesh menu I believe. Going to mess with ballistic tonight.