porting

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
balor

porting

Post by balor »

I would like to know how to port sounds and collectians but I don`t know how to do it
vinylrake

Re: porting

Post by vinylrake »

port sounds and collections from where to where?
balor

Post by balor »

I mean from other myth games
balor

Post by balor »

from other myth games to myth 2
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

You can't port collections from Myth 3 to myth 2, or not in a traditional sprite bitmap manner, as Myth 3 used models for the most part. As for porting myth TFL collections to Myth 2, you don't have to, as it's been done already for you! Download Magma's The Fallen Levels v2, and you've gained yourself a complete port of Myth 1 to Myth 2. Every level, every effect, and every unit. :)
balor13

Post by balor13 »

if porting is impossible then how did zeph make the hearth guards so acuratly
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

i bet zeph would know.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

balor13 wrote:if porting is impossible then how did zeph make the hearth guards so acuratly
Magic!

Actually, Zeph just got the model and rendered it. Rendering as in the program took screenshots of the model from different angels and poses and then zeph put them into a collection. A tedious task and not something done quick even when you know how to use 3D modeling programs.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Not easy when you know the 3d modeling tool AND the arcane myth tools required to develop a working collection. It's a ton of time investment.

Myth 3 didn't use collections for its units, it used full 3d models. The only way to create a collection is to do what Zeph did, find a tool to export the .skl model file into something a normal 3d app like Maya or 3dsMax can read. From there, I don't think the animations transfer over, so one has to re-animate the entire model in the modeling program. THEN you have to render it out and know how to post-process the renders so that they'll work in myth 2, THEN you have to know how to use amber or oak to take the hundreds of renders and set them up as a unit that walks and attacks and whatnot. Not something a new mapmaker is ever going to have a chance at getting right the first try lets just say :)