Anyone beat this plugin yet?

Talk about anything here.
Zaknafein

Anyone beat this plugin yet?

Post by Zaknafein »

http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/r ... e-leveller

Just curious, it has 246 downloads (kind of surprised at that considerring its 250 megabytes!) but no reviews. Is it fun? I imagine its pretty hard to beat on any difficulty higher than timid, at least by yourself.
God of mapmaking
Undefeated in 1v1 mapmaking competitions
Zaknafein

Re: Anyone played this plugin yet?

Post by Zaknafein »

Okay how about an easier question. Has anyone played this plugin yet?
God of mapmaking
vinylrake

Re: Anyone beat this plugin yet?

Post by vinylrake »

seriously? 40+ solo levels? I don't even remember this being released! I'll definitely download it and give it a try.
albuminouslump

Post by albuminouslump »

After downloading it and perusing the levels, it looks as if somebody strung together a bunch of previously-released solo maps (such as Dol Baran and Morte Della Luna) into some sort of "campaign." There doesn't seem to be a great deal of continuity, but I haven't spent much time with it.

Not being terribly familiar with many of the maps on there, I can't say if they've been modified from their original versions, and there's no accompanying read-me that gives more details.
Sometimes we have to do terrible things in order to get through the day in one piece.
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

albuminouslump wrote:After downloading it and perusing the levels, it looks as if somebody strung together a bunch of previously-released solo maps (such as Dol Baran and Morte Della Luna) into some sort of "campaign." There doesn't seem to be a great deal of continuity, but I haven't spent much time with it.

Not being terribly familiar with many of the maps on there, I can't say if they've been modified from their original versions, and there's no accompanying read-me that gives more details.
Somebody, eh? Can't say if they've been modified from their original versions?

This seems like a personal attack. Lets 1v1 on myth.

But seriously, the plugin is 250 megabytes for a reason, every level has been modified.
God of mapmaking
juliocpaes

Re: Anyone played this plugin yet?

Post by juliocpaes »

Zaknafein wrote:Okay how about an easier question. Has anyone played this plugin yet?
Hi Zak,

I tried this several times to download your plugin, however, the file is getting broken.
I'll keep trying, I'm curious to see the solo plugin. :)
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

should be a regular .zip file I don't know why it would get broken for you. Maybe try a different program?
God of mapmaking
albuminouslump

Post by albuminouslump »

Zaknafein wrote:Somebody, eh? Can't say if they've been modified from their original versions?

This seems like a personal attack. Lets 1v1 on myth.

But seriously, the plugin is 250 megabytes for a reason, every level has been modified.
Apologies. I re-read my post and yeah, I sound like a bit of a jerk.

If I could suggest one thing about the packaging of the plug-in, it would be to include a readme with a little more info on the idea behind the campaign, and noting maps that had been previously released. I think that's what threw me for a loop — I was surprised to see maps that I've seen before in other plug-ins.
juliocpaes wrote:I tried this several times to download your plugin, however, the file is getting broken.
I had this happen too... some sort of connection problem, maybe? The first time I tried downloading it, it choked after 130MB, but it worked fine the second time.
Sometimes we have to do terrible things in order to get through the day in one piece.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

albuminouslump wrote:Apologies. I re-read my post and yeah, I sound like a bit of a jerk.
No need to apologize, he did string all that together in what... a week maybe? :P
albuminouslump wrote:If I could suggest one thing about the packaging of the plug-in, it would be to include a readme with a little more info on the idea behind the campaign, and noting maps that had been previously released. I think that's what threw me for a loop — I was surprised to see maps that I've seen before in other plug-ins.
Zak making a thought out readme? I wouldn't hold my breathe, something like this had been brought up for other stuff he hacked together and he decided it would be too much work. :roll:
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

the description on the tain gives you enough information to figure out what the storyline is. If that isn't enough I've added hints and occasionally a narration.

This plugin took at LEAST two weeks to complete. That said, I probably did about 20 plugins in the span of a month. Sure there might be mistakes here and there but I did put thought into the modifications I made.
God of mapmaking
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Ah, well then it was at least two weeks it took, didn't remember.
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

Even a response like "its unplayable" would be better than silence !
God of mapmaking
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

I played a few maps zak and some were rather good but others seemed to use way too many bee units as enemies. maybe i was drunk.

a few didnt load... but i think there are probably a good number of meshes that take place on excellent maps and i'll give you the benefit of a doubt that the unit choices aren't as bee-heavy as a few i've played :)

no but seriously this is an extraordinary amount of effort if you tested all these even cursorily and with invincible units - that's a lot of time even then. you have a great taste in mesh choices also
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

So I noticed that one level (mysterious swordsman) gives an automatic victory at start. I don't recall that problem when I tested it! So thats one thing to fix. I looked at every level and they all loaded for me, so I'm not sure what is causing them to not load for you.

I see numerous tiny errors such as cavalry being called "catapults" and alric being called "blade". Levels seems to be startable though!
God of mapmaking
kingthrall

Post by kingthrall »

ive played this with masterchief and Sasper and beaten the whole thing on legendary.
There was only 1 level that was tricky I forget the name it was 3/4 though the list.