Computer Crashed

Talk about anything here.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Computer Crashed

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Wow so literally the day after I make that post that I wouldn't start my myth movie until I get a new computer, my computer gets a virus and crashes. I went out and bought a MacBook Pro, and I'm just not getting used to the software at all. Everything is so tiny, and isn't user friendly at all.

Can anyone tell me how I can restore the operating system on my Windows XP laptop back to factory settings? I really, really don't want to pay someone to do it again. This would be like the 5th or 6th time I've had to go through all of this.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Re: Computer Crashed

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Hmm well I finally was able to do a system restore, but it seems like it didn't entirely get rid of the virus.
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

Or... since you say you have a macbook pro... just install windows on the mac with bootcamp
Insert text here.
Divine entity of map making.
Undefeated god of 1v1 map making contests that have yet to happen.
Insert massive ego here

Someone tell this guy to stop having so many signatures
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

I'd recommend just saving any files that you need (or ideally they are backed up), then wiping the hard drive and reinstalling the operating system from scratch. It's actually pretty quick these days (an hour or two) and relatively painless. If your hardware is sufficient and you desire, you could also take the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 7.

But yeah, as revan mentions you can just dual-boot your macbook too.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

if you want to send me your new macbook pro,I'll send you a new comparable windows computer with the windows version of your choice.
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

L-O-L? At that.. kinda scary :O
Insert text here.
Divine entity of map making.
Undefeated god of 1v1 map making contests that have yet to happen.
Insert massive ego here

Someone tell this guy to stop having so many signatures
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:Wow so literally the day after I make that post that I wouldn't start my myth movie until I get a new computer, my computer gets a virus and crashes. I went out and bought a MacBook Pro, and I'm just not getting used to the software at all. Everything is so tiny, and isn't user friendly at all.

Can anyone tell me how I can restore the operating system on my Windows XP laptop back to factory settings? I really, really don't want to pay someone to do it again. This would be like the 5th or 6th time I've had to go through all of this.
I.....I just can't.....believe how many wrong things there are here. I don't even know where to start.

Just an entire LOL
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Hey godzfire, go change your oil. OH WAIT YOU CANT LOL

Okay so I'm back on old faithful for now, I was able to finally do a system restore (it wasn't letting me before). There is still a very small glitch, but everything seems to be functioning just fine otherwise. I am going to return the macbook, I gave it a shot, I wanted to like it, but jesus I am in the stone age for computer software and that's too much too soon.

Okay so Dell has some really sick deals right now. I am customizing an XPS 8300, and with the added discounts I'm using on it, I thought I would get a really solid graphics card. The default one for the one I'm configuring is the Nvidia GeforceGT530, and I'm considering the AMD Radeon HD 6770 for $80 more.

Here are the spec differences:

Nvidia is DDR3, AMD is DDR5
Nvidia Controller Speed is 700 MHz, AMD is 775 MHz
Nvidia On-Board Memory Speed is 790 MHz, AMD is 1 GHz

Everything else is basically the same. Is it worth the extra money to get the AMD? I don't really know the functions of the aforementioned tech specs, but from what I gather is that the AMD would have more memory power. The ones above that are $230, and $280 respectively, and I don't think either are necessary.

Thanks guys, I'll be ordering it definitely this week, and then construction for the Myth Movie will commence.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

GodzFire wrote:I.....I just can't.....believe how many wrong things there are here. I don't even know where to start.
I'd suggest starting with "Everything is so tiny, and isn't user friendly at all."

If you can respond to that sentence without resorting to sarcasm or insinuations about the writer then you might be ready to tackle the rest.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

If you're getting the dell machine for gaming, yes - get as good a video card as you can afford. Either of those will be fine for Myth, but again if it's for any sort of gaming, sacrifice other stuff and get a good video card.

If you want something a bit more customizable and probably slightly better price, I'd also recommend checking out NCIX.com. They will literally build a system from whatever components you want and test it, and they do a very good job of it.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Okay, I don't see the need to exacerbate my obvious, admitted inefficiency in computers. I don't rely on them to live, nor do I care enough to learn how to maintain them on my own. Yes, it was only a 13" laptop, smaller than my current one, with a higher resolution. The usual exit/minimize/maximize buttons were tiny, and the default for all programs never even filled the screen. Maybe its more easy for mac users, but I've been a life PC'er, and the format is much easier, because I know where to find things. I don't like having gobs of files just sitting in random locations, I like to be able to wipe everything clean, and have just what I use in certain places. I still use the format from windows 95 (classic start menu) because that's what I prefer. Everything runs and responds fast, and I don't need to see animations when I select what program I want to use.

Like us people in the real world say it: if it ain't broken, don't fix it. I hate how everything must "advance" and become more and more complex. I'm all for improvements, but unnecessary change is annoying. I don't understand mac os x because it doesn't have just regular settings for functionality. I don't want to have a million customizable options in the software, I just want it to run, and run flawlessly. I would love it if they came with windows, but why would I pay the premium for an Apple product when I just change the whole point of it anyway? That's like buying a Ford and putting a brand new GM engine in it, just because that's what I'm used to. Waste of money and defeats the point.

Ya'll will be crying your eyes out when I release my masterful myth movie, and then you'll be sorry you ever doubted me.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Oh by the way, I returned the mac today to mac outfitters. If not for my 5-ball difficulty customer skills, I would have had to pay the 10% restocking fee. But after about 20 minutes of arguing and owning the managers, I was given a full refund. I deserve an oscar for my acting performance.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

The humor wasn't aimed at your computer skill level, it was at your apparent blaming of the size of images on the mac screen on the fact that the computer was a Mac, instead of on the more obvious fact that mac you bought had a smaller screen than your old computer.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

I didn't indicate that until afterward. The red, yellow and green buttons were tiny, not just because of the setup, they are even small on the 27" imacs in my library.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Lower the resolution so you have bigger buttons. Just like if you ran Myth in a lower resolution its status bar and text on screen take up more room than a higher resolution taking up the same amount of screen would.