Trying to Transfer Myth

Talk about anything here.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Trying to Transfer Myth

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Got Myth backed up on my external hard drive. I plugged it in, and it works through the new computer, however, when I dragged it into the new computer, it took 10 minutes to copy over, but it wouldn't play. When I try to run the program, it says it is either already in use or is a read-only file. I tried unchecking the Myth folder for its read-only files but that's still not working. I had this problem this past summer when I first got a Dell XPS laptop that I later returned. Anyway around this? I don't want to have to reinstall myth and bring everything over separately.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Trying to Transfer Myth

Post by Pyro »

Download the Myth 2 update and run it to that Myth 2 folder, it will solve that issue. The issue is how the newer OSes like Vista and 7 do things differently compared to XP and older used to do.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Can you link me to the plugin? What update do you mean?
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

The most recent update (1.7.2) here on the tain. You shouldn't need a link to that... surely?
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Another option is not to put it in Program Files in Windows Vista/7, but probably easiest just to run the patch again like the others have suggested. That will also insure that stuff like DirectX is up to date and available.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

I did notice that when I ran the game via external hard drive, it gave me my monitor's maximum resolution, but no other graphics options. Game ran smooth also, but only showed around the 60fps range. I'll run the patch again and see what happens.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

If by graphic options you mean the rendering options like OpenGL and the rest, make sure you update your graphics card drivers. If that is not what you meant, its still good to update them.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

The game will cap to a maximum of 60fps if V-sync is on. This is desirable though as it avoids tearing and excessive CPU/GPU usage. Your monitor can only display 60fps anyways, so leave V-sync on. The only time you should ever really turn it off is for benchmarking.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Didn't understand any of that. But it didn't give me a DirectX11 option like I thought it would have. It did have OpelGL, which I was running, with V-Sync on and all. I mean it played smooth, I just wasn't sure if I was supposed to expect higher than 60 fps anyway.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Up and running now. Just need a better damn keyboard.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:But it didn't give me a DirectX11 option like I thought it would have.
You need to run the patch installer again and select "Direct Redist" in it. That'll set you up and enable the DirectX 10/11 option. Post your log file if you wish, but I'm 99% sure this is all you need to do. That said, OpenGL works great too so no biggie either way.
BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:I mean it played smooth, I just wasn't sure if I was supposed to expect higher than 60 fps anyway.
Yup 60fps is expected with V-sync on, and that's the "right" way to play the game. It should be nice and smooth as you note.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Yep, everything up and running. 24" LED monitor = amazing color contrast and graphics. I played normandy beach and its just WOW... to think this is a 14 year old game. There are literally only 2 keyboards that I would consider buying, since I'm so used to the setup on laptops now. The Microsoft 4000 Ergonomic keyboard (only 26 bucks on amazon) or the newest wired Apple keyboard. All the others have changed around the ALT keys and made the control buttons tiny. I literally use geometry when selecting my setup for mything. One of my many secrets.