Adaptive AI

Talk about anything here.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Adaptive AI

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

One drawback of myth is the capability of the AI. Granted, the current engine fosters an environment that is challenging enough to beat, and we all know multiplayer is the true test of talent and skill. For the IX Forgotten Heroes plugin, how were the units engineered to become adaptive to what the user's input was doing? When you throw a grenade in their general vicinity, the soldiers scatter and avoid the grenade. If you are trying to camp or hide, the soldiers hunt you down, using barriers as cover, and they don't typically injure their comrades in the process.

What if playing the AI, they dodged arrows, not in a way where they were programmed to avoid every arrow, because then it becomes impossible since the computer can react just as fast as the input. But perhaps, after an archer shoots, it walks to the side a bit, then shoots again, in a sort of pattern, or does this only when you shoot at it; it dodges at random.

The only current AI functions that really stand out to me are when ghols or soulless target your arty units only and ignore your melee, and how wights retreat when your archers are just out of range, and sneak up on your melee pack if the arcs are turned away. Was just wondering what kind of work it took to create the AI as I mentioned in IX Forgetten Heroes, which I believe has very similar scripting as The CAMP POW rescue mission.

On a side note, imagine the potential the game of myth has. The skill potential is so high, nobody is really close to it. Imagine a computer that controls all of the units individually with precision accuracy, every time, except is still subject to the randomness (duds, bounces, etc.). It could essentially be possible that this computer could defeat any human in a 1 on 1 without taking a single bit of damage, because it reacts automatically to your every move. Its hard to picture that would be possible in every situation with every unit, but just a flat out 100% win most of the time could be expected.

Oh and yours truly had his only account in the last 6 months banned from mariusnet. Apparently one idiot who likes to go around making stuff up all the time said I was a dick because I booted him from my game (for good reason). So I'm stuck with the privilege of signing on as a guest account, whom most people have wanked guest accounts anyway, so it looks like my upcoming projects are going to be delayed, unless a miracle happens and I'm suddenly allowed back on the server. Been "banned" since January 2009 for swearing in the lobby. Yeah. Swearing. That thing that every single other myther and person in the world does every minute of their lives.
Fury IX

Re: Adaptive AI

Post by Fury IX »

Its not that hard really, as long as there are not tons of units on the map. Myth is pretty limited on what actions it can do, a lot of it depends on the map itself and how the scenery effects the units. The AI of my soldiers is mostly dumb luck, its basically the same as any other ww2 dodge script. It could even be way better, but once it starts getting complicated it can take a toll on the gameplay. For example, my enemy soldiers could also dodge bullets, but that made them much harder to kill, and spread them out to far.

I have tried this on a smaller scale with regular units, and its really cool when random enemy do taunts or movements to react. Ive also tried making warriors use auto shield block against arrows, but that didnt work very well.
Gleep

Post by Gleep »

Am I wrong in thinking that a AI monster template could be made similar to wight that would make units do auto retreat/spread/taunts to dodge stuff then continue attacking?
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I don't think you're able to write custom AI scripts like the wight (or deer for that matter) uses. If one could it would open up endless possibilities. The largest drawback is that for these unique AI scripts to work (I've got some fetch that will zap your warlock fireballs for example) you need to have typically multiple test scenarios involving single monsters. These tests eat into the total map action total of the mesh, and consequently you get less actions to do the main meat of your mission. It can work well on small scale maps with few units, but the larger the scale gets, the harder it is to A) have enough script lines total to script AI and your mission objectives, and B) to run all these scripts simultaneously and get proper reaction times out of the AIs you're trying to control.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

the kind of AI coding to modify a unit's behavior would have been a lot more possible as bungie originally intended myth to be.

during the game development they had a programmer working on a way for scripts to be assigned to a unit or units *in game* so that you could give a squad of units an 'assignment' or modify their behavior - but the coder left before he finished and his code was in such a state that bungie had neither the time nor manpower to figure out how his code worked and incorporate it into the game before the game's release date.