Idea for new/modified game type

Talk about anything here.
Reiginoob

Idea for new/modified game type

Post by Reiginoob »

Before anyone yells at me, I have absolutely no idea how complicated it is to create a new game type (I assume only the project magma legends only know the details of this).

The idea is a modified version of either CTF or assassin, with a rule that if you eliminate a player or team by capturing their flag or killing their assassin target, all (or maybe some percentage) of their surviving units are transferred to your team. Sort of like their soldiers are compelled to swear fealty to their new lord after their army is defeated (or face execution by dragon fire or whatever). You could tweak it so that they lose veterancy or something (because they might be less motivated to fight for their former enemy), but that might overcomplicate things.

The gameplay benefits would be to make things more even in 1v1v1 games, to disincentivize camping. In a 3 way contest you usually end up with two players fighting first, and the winner, with a depleted force, has to then face a full-strength camper. It also gives an incentive to win by capture rather than annihilation, which would mix up the gameplay.

I don’t know whether this is even possible (noting that KOTM was added in an update), but I’d be interested to know what people think.
juliocpaes

Re: Idea for new/modified game type

Post by juliocpaes »

Reiginoob wrote:Before anyone yells at me, I have absolutely no idea how complicated it is to create a new game type (I assume only the project magma legends only know the details of this).

The idea is a modified version of either CTF or assassin, with a rule that if you eliminate a player or team by capturing their flag or killing their assassin target, all (or maybe some percentage) of their surviving units are transferred to your team. Sort of like their soldiers are compelled to swear fealty to their new lord after their army is defeated (or face execution by dragon fire or whatever). You could tweak it so that they lose veterancy or something (because they might be less motivated to fight for their former enemy), but that might overcomplicate things.

The gameplay benefits would be to make things more even in 1v1v1 games, to disincentivize camping. In a 3 way contest you usually end up with two players fighting first, and the winner, with a depleted force, has to then face a full-strength camper. It also gives an incentive to win by capture rather than annihilation, which would mix up the gameplay.

I don’t know whether this is even possible (noting that KOTM was added in an update), but I’d be interested to know what people think.

Hi Reiginoob,

we have something similar at level 18 (Tain Shard) where Deceiver converts the "Mauls and Myrkridias" under the player's control. But it is a very difficult script to make in the map-actions using the "Loathing" tool, (I don't know if any myther -map-maker would have any mood for such a project.) But, It also has a similar plugin (unknown author, I don't remember name now) the single-player solo plugin called: "only gold buys obedience" (where troops are gradually attached to the player as per the plot.) if you want to try playing to see if it's something that interests you.

put in your folder plugin of myth 2, start the game, click on key "shift" new game and good fun.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3ba9i39wosxz ... ience?dl=0
Reiginoob

Post by Reiginoob »

Thanks for your reply Julio, I’ll check out that plugin.

I don’t think it’s something that could be done in loathing, and it would need to be hard-coded into the game itself like all the other multiplayer gametypes (in the same way KOTM was introduced in version 1.8.3).
hmp

Post by hmp »

It is mostly possible to script this as a custom gametype, although there are some challenges. In particular scripting support for flag based games is pretty minimal. And determining which player or team killed a particular unit is troublesome. There are potential workarounds for these, although an update with scripting improvements would be welcome and have broader uses than one new gametype