FEAR, LOATHING, OAK UPGRADE? 32 TO 64bit

Talk about anything here.
WalterWight

FEAR, LOATHING, OAK UPGRADE? 32 TO 64bit

Post by WalterWight »

Does anyone have an idea who we could talk to and figure out a way to upgrade Fear, Loathing, and Oak to 64 bit? Mac users will no longer be able to use those programs since the advent of Catalina (since they are all 32-bit). I installed an emulator program but it is AWFULLY laggy. I'd be happy to have the 64-bit upgrade be a pet project, but I'd need the source files. Any help?
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: FEAR, LOATHING, OAK UPGRADE? 32 TO 64bit

Post by Melekor »

64 bit Oak is already available for Windows, (and possibly Mac as well, not sure)

Mac Fear and Loathing probably won't ever be updated to 64 bit. It is not simply a matter of changing a few things from 32 bit to 64 bit, but AFAIK the whole user interface would need to be completely redone. Beyond the code that the tools share with Myth, there isn't much that wouldn't need a total rewrite.

Oak already supports about 80% of what Fear does so it would be easier to bring that up to 100% than to upgrade Fear. As for Loathing, the best bet for now is going to be emulation or virtualization. If the 32 bit Mac emulators are no good, maybe virtualized Windows works better. I am curious how well Windows Loathing would run under Parallels or Wine.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

From a Mac perspective, losing Fear & Loathing going forward OS-wise would be a huge blow for the OSX community and whatever future is left for Myth. There are things Mac F&L do that Windows F&L don't do well or flat out don't. Emulation is a slow/messy at best option, Parallels cost money and not native speeds, and Wine can be difficult.

Seriously please, there have been people, like this gentlemen below, who is offering to look into making this happen. WazzaMouse, StoneCold, Doobie, iron, Nae'blis, haravikk, TarousZars, Death's Avatar aren't here. Some haven't been around for years, some for over a decade. The fact is for many years development of Myth has dwindled to PunkUser, Myrd and you Mel. Punk is pretty much gone, Myrd has essentially been done for awhile and your time is limited at best. There's been no activity on even the Myth program itself in a year. This isn't a knock on either of you; you have lives and have dedicated years of your lives to keep this going.

But now more than ever, there needs to be consideration to allowing others to come in and help take up the mantle, especially if they are willing and wanting. Please, for the community, give this thought and let's see what can come of it. I feel the decision made here on not only the tools but future development will have serious ramifications and determine whether Myth dies this next year or has a chance.
Point

Post by Point »

fear and loathing seem to work under parallels at least in some simple tests... as for fear and loathing if they could be rolled into a final version of oak that would even be better over all .. ! kudos to those who might be willing to tackle the task!!!
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

I'd love to have Oak take over Fear's capabilities. That being said, from what I remember, I did everything I could, the rest needed code changes to be added.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

Could you run the Windows versions on WinE on OSX?
Malsleizure

Post by Malsleizure »

Though a Leisure Suit Larry product, let us not forget..

https://virtualbox.org

A valid and useful option for emulation.

(actually had to register for this post :!: )

~ mal