Why weren't the cutscenese from TFL ported over? - Really curious.

Talk about anything here.
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

I'm just curious as to why the cutscenes from TFL aren't viewable in Soulblighter. Kinda takes some of the wind out of playing vTFL.
I decided to look up in the sky, and lo and behold there was a BoB. I stared at him, and he stared back. There was silence for a great while until he said in a thunderous, booming voice..."Okay, Okay, DON'T Frogblast the ventcore."
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

... but they are. Make a folder called cutscenes under your Myth II folder, then copy the TFL cutscenes.gor file there. Next time you run a Fallen Levels solo that has a cutscene you should be able to see it.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

The cutscenes from TFL are very big downloads. Also what would be the point in wanting to watch TFL cutscenes in SB? vTFL changes the monsters of SB into the monsters of TFL. This applies only to units that were in both games. It also turns Bowmen into fir'Bolg. I don't think it would be possible to port cutscenes from TFL to SB. I really don't think there's a point. Besides, uncompressed, an average cutscene can be about 2-3 GB. :O
Click on the picture below for my Myth 2 scenario.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

I would imagine Magma didn't include them because it's extra legwork and bigger filesizes. Possibly, I wouldn't know.

I know it can be done, I've played TFL cutscenes in M2 I *think*.

I've also used Interstate '76 cutscenes and Jedi Knight cutscenes, both of which kick arse, and both of which were make using .smk.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

Why's everyone posting simultaneously! :lol:
Click on the picture below for my Myth 2 scenario.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Lugas wrote:The cutscenes from TFL are very big downloads. Also what would be the point in wanting to watch TFL cutscenes in SB? vTFL changes the monsters of SB into the monsters of TFL. This applies only to units that were in both games. It also turns Bowmen into fir'Bolg. I don't think it would be possible to port cutscenes from TFL to SB. I really don't think there's a point. Besides, uncompressed, an average cutscene can be about 2-3 GB. :O
DUH! He probably wants to play The Fallen Levels, dude. The cutscenes might have more significance there than by just playing M2 levels with vTFL switched on. Use your noggin!

And who's talking about uncompressed cutscenes?!? If smk were a non-lossy format, it wouldn't look so ugly. Bring on Quicktime cutscenes for Myth! :laugh:
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

uhm ... if you have cutscene.gor then myth 2 can play the cutscenes. Nuff said really.
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

iron wrote:uhm ... if you have cutscene.gor then myth 2 can play the cutscenes. Nuff said really.
But IRON, you should port the cutscenes1!!1!!

:D
-TGP-
Having fun with poser horses and pasted-on Warrior torsos since 1990!™
Horus

Post by Horus »

Why is it half of the posts in here look like they were written by drunks...

Myth 2 can play the TFL cutscenes if you own a copy of TFL or someone sends you the TFL cutscene.gor file, and you put it Myth 2's cutscene folder... then with The Fallen Levels v2 you can play them when they come up.
Just as Iron has said twice...

OR

You can use tag extractor to extract The Fallen Levels v2 mesh tags and read the cutscene headers, and so use them on your own maps.

If you want them in Quicktime format go ask Blades to make the download of them availible again (as he did it before awhile back I believe).

Edited By Horus â„¢ on 1150472474
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

(psst horus, look at post times)
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Horus â„¢ wrote:Why is it half of the posts in here look like they were written by drunks...
Not *my* half, surely. Besides it's not as though you're known for your lucidity, I've read some loopy things from you! :P

And - in closing, my comment about Quicktime cutscenes was not a beg for someone to convert the Myth cutscenes to Quicktime, it was a joke that Myth should support playback of .movs as opposed to the tired old slut of video compression, *SMK*. :D
Van Buren

Post by Van Buren »

... but they are. Make a folder called cutscenes under your Myth II folder, then copy the TFL cutscenes.gor file there. Next time you run a Fallen Levels solo that has a cutscene you should be able to see it.

Worked for me.
Van Buren
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

afaik only the myth 2 cutscenes were available as QT movies. Blades didn't have anything related to TFL - pls correct me if I'm wrong though.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

iron wrote:afaik only the myth 2 cutscenes were available as QT movies. Blades didn't have anything related to TFL - pls correct me if I'm wrong though.
I think you're sort-of-right. I remember it being - both TFL and M2 cutscenes were released as movs, but only the M2 ones got the hi-res treatment, having been re-exported from the original movies themselves.
The TFL scenes were merely taken from the SMKs, if I recall correctly. Maybe I don't. Meh.
ElusiveMind

Post by ElusiveMind »

Hey Guys - this is Blades ( I have long lost my username and password and the retrieval thing didn't seem to be workin for me ).

The Soulblighter high resolution MP4 cutscenes we had up at one time were compressed from Bungie's sources. Unfortunately, we did not have the same source for the TFL ones. The TFL ones we had as movies were taken from smacker files so they look compressed and pixelated. There's not much we could do about that unless we got our hands on the original quicktime animations.

The original reason for doing these was the chance we might convert the Myth game from using the outdated smacker stuff to using more modern quicktime stuff... it just made sense to re-compress the Myth II ones since we had the sources.

However, that didn't happen - so I just put them up on the old FF hotline at one point... which is likely rusting away on a DVD on a shelf somewhere - although I'm sure it's mirrored on uDogs hotline and several other places

And now you know...... the rest of the story.
mbagnall@elusivemind.com - @ElusiveMind / @FlyingFlip
Developer - Myth III, FlyingFlip Studios