Project magma: last of the great map-makers? - How many are left?

Talk about anything here.
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

The site was never updated very much -- the members list is about four years out of date. Giant, Demonsthenes, Inferno, and a few others are still around.
Mauglir
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

A huge problem on the map-making front might be the complete lack of players. Obviously.

As more of a TFL guy, i especially notice the lack. It's getting very predictable, going onto Marius to see the 'Current players = 0' thing mocking me.. :( But surely you guys wouldn't keep developing for TFL and M2 if no one used your work... Any ideas where everyone's hiding? :op
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

carlinho

Post by carlinho »

anybody has an idea of when the tain.org could be ready?
so it means it's going to be a place where people can share plugins and post their creations?
awesome!
tell me more!
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Um ... its going to be a place where people can share plugins and post new creations :) And the guys working on the site have kept pretty close about when they expect to have it ready, so I can't help there. To my mind it can't come quickly enough, but they're taking their time ensuring things work properly etc.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
GIANT

Post by GIANT »

mauglir wrote:
ChrisP wrote:Ah, yes, 'Sisters of the Blade' deserves to be in the same category. I had thought it was made by Creation, but what do I know. :P

Heh, now we're getting into murky waters again in Myth history.

I used to be part of the Idiot Mapmaking Collective, though I didn't do much while with them -- but I do still consider myself to be part of their order: Even Idiots Can Win, which by now is basically just a few people who hang out on a Hotline server ;-)

But anyway, Sister of the Blade was the brainchild of Giant and Demonsthenes who were both long time members of Idiots. They had somewhere between 50 and 75% of the work on SoB done when the IMMC collapsed on itself and Giant and Demos decided to migrate to Creation. This is something of a chicken and egg scenario -- some believe Giant and Demos left to join Creation and that effectively ended the IMMC, but others might say there were circumstances that existed much earlier which prompted Giant and Demos to leave.

Whatever the reasons, Giant and Demos left Idiots and joined Creation, and Sister of the Blade was eventually released (after TSG). I can't remember off hand if the plug-in was officially considered a Creation release, or if it was something like "Idiots and Creation present..." I lost this (and many other) plug-ins when an old hard drive crashed, so I no longer have the original documentation. But, if SoB was an official Creation release, then it was their last, though most will remember TSG as the Creation swan song.

Sisters of the Blade....

Yeah odd story, and Maug has it mostly right...depends on who you ask :). Demosthenes would claim that it was released as Idiot Collective ( a division of creation)....all in an attempt for the Idiot Collective to take over the world.

But in reality, Sisters of the Blade was very far in development, when Dem and I joined creation. TSG and SoB were be developed side by side. TSG was the priorty and released first. SoB then became the last Creation release. Creation members basically helped get it done in a timely manner. Silicon Dream and Ghost (still waiting for ghost to 1.1 update it) were key in making a lot of stuff happen. As well as Clem who created one of the maps....and Dozer who touched up a few.

It was one of those big projects that really need the extra push to get done, as it would have taken Dem and I a million years to finish on our own. SoB still was 11 months in development. The unit plugin was released as a Idiot Collective project, after creation dissolved.

www.idiotcollective.com is still around, but not updated that much. Still have a hotline server...but not really very active. We are working on a Idiot Map Pack for Myth 3, but nothing on the grand scale of SoB.

And that is the rest of the story.....
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Has ANYONE made any decent TFL plugs in the last 3 years? TFL has a following MariusNet. I ask players if they use MariusNet and they often say yes but I never see them. Can you see TFLers when you're on Myth II like you can on PlayMyth.net? I say TFL map making should continue being made but my wish I guess will never come true :( *sobs*
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I thought Creation Games was just a big map making group like Project Magma. I had no idea that it was more like a club you chose to go to from one week to the next.

Also, who has the rights to update The Seventh God to v1.1? I've spotted some errors that really mess up EVERYTHING IN THE STORY. Nothing major actually, just that it has a BIG impact.
Horus

Post by Horus »

Currantly a Map making Alliance is being formed between

Onyx Warlords (Creators of The Fallen's Vengeance and Tomb Kings tagset, both of which not finished but in progress)

Myth Addicts (A mapmaking group created by Road, the creator or Heroes of Coop)

The Forge Mapmakers (A new group with a few good members)

Riblime Mapmakers (Half dead group with probably only one member still active)

Stoneheim Cartographers (Created by Graydon)

I'd hope more groups would sign up to this alliance so we can pool resources and build better maps, currently we are trying to get a website with
forums,
project pages,
download page and
link page (which would link to each of the different mapmaker group websites in the alliance).

But no luck recently (Websites were never my area of expertise).

Edited By Horus â„¢ on 1091130100
Horus

Post by Horus »

what a nasty text colour

Edited By Horus â„¢ on 1091129791
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

I dunno how you guys do it. It's taking me almost a year to do our little ditty (called Freedom II for those with the ability to recall the pointless things in life) and it's not even that good!
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

[color=DFC99B]
William Wallet wrote:I dunno how you guys do it. It's taking me almost a year to do our little ditty (called Freedom II for those with the ability to recall the pointless things in life) and it's not even that good!
Probably the largest advantage of working in a group such as Magma, besides the great friends you make, is the ability to get others to help you with things, especially those things you cant or arent as good at doing yourself.

The key and the main reason we all do this though, no matter how long it takes, is the FUN !! :o)[/color]
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

Well then it would be really good to get to join magma...hehe
Working new units, new models, new color maps and new scripting just by myself is sometimes too much...
The one who spreads too much, embraces little...
Perhaps we could join magma at some time?....
carlinho
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Horus

Post by Horus »

No one asks to join Magma you get invited, but first you gotta get to know them.
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

[color=DFC99B]
Horus â„¢ wrote:No one asks to join Magma you get invited, but first you gotta get to know them.
Actually MANY ask to join Magma, just none who ask seem to get accepted is all. :oO

::Still wondering how to get out of this deep, dark, dank hole he`s still trapped in:: ;op[/color]
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"