Myth TFL in Windows 10

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Goose

Myth TFL in Windows 10

Post by Goose »

Hi Myth fans, I'm wondering if anyone's had any success getting Myth TFL to run on Windows 10? I've seen overwhelming recommendations to give up on this idea and use the Myth II mod instead, to play the original campaign, but I'm a purist and would prefer to play from my original disc if at all possible.

I'm just dropping this message in case someone has actually got this game to run on a modern Win 10 system ... I'd love to hear how you did it. Things I've tried, without success:
  • Various compatibility settings directly in Win 10 (XP service pack 2/3, Win 95/98/Me, admin mode)
  • Running in a Windows 95/98/98SE/Me/XP Virtual Machine (I've tried VirtualBox and VMware, but not all possible combinations of VM software <> Win version)
  • Running on Win98 in PCem ... I had limited success with this, version 1.3 worked (i.e. started up, but was slow, and I didn't test extensively at all as I wasn't satisfied), but version 1.5 did not.
I hope someone can get it working. But in the meantime, I'm on to install Myth II!
akula65

Re: Myth TFL in Windows 10

Post by akula65 »

You might try Melekor's launcher as mentioned here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6774#p68200

Also, some users have reported success using Software rendering. I have also seen some reports that dgVoodoo2 can be used as Glide renderer.
Goose

Post by Goose »

Thanks for the tips. Just setting the windows compatibility to "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" (or SP3) seems to resolve the out of memory errors when launching v1.2 or v1.3.

I didn't have any luck getting dgVoodoo to work, but I did finally manage to have some limited success using DxWnd. Anyone interested in trying this can take a look at this thread:

https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discuss ... d2975701d/
Goose

Post by Goose »

Myth TFL v1.5 also appears to work well in Windows XP running under VMware, so long as you have 3D acceleration enabled on the guest display (which VMware should already default to have enabled for WinXP guests). (Unfortunately VirtualBox pulled 3D support for WinXP with their 6.1 release.) You can't set the guest screen display resolution higher than 1920x1080, however.

I also recommend adding this line to your .vmx file so that the mouse stays locked into the VM display unto you use left CTRL-ALT to release it:

Code: Select all

mks.gamingMouse.policy = "gaming"