Myth 1.8.3 crashing Mac Mojave

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
erileykc

Myth 1.8.3 crashing Mac Mojave

Post by erileykc »

Lots of testing has confirmed that a new install of Myth 1.8.3 crashes Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 at the end of any game on the server or as a local coop. It crashes the machine thoroughly enough that the log fails to complete it's entries past signing onto the server. It crashed both with and without the long user list plug in.

Any suggestions on trouble shooting this appreciated.

This is a copy of the log after Myth has been quit without playing a game.

2019-11-15 22:55:44
Myth II |iUniversal|p Build 454 (64-bit) running under MacOS 1096 (Intel) ----------------------------------------------
Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
DEBUG: Updating monolithic tag cache:
Initial count: 21
Number removed: 0
Number added: 0
New count: 21
DEBUG: Adding 14 monolithic tags:
small install
medium install
large install
international small install
international large install
Patch 1.2
Patch 1.3
Patch 1.4
Patch 1.5
GateofStormsNet
Patch 1.8 Interface
Myth II Interface (800x600)
Patch Templates
Demo Detail Textures
Scanning for software devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for OpenGL devices...
Found 1 to use
Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 640 | Intel Inc. | OpenGL 2.1
Initializing sound with OpenAL...
OpenAL: Loaded OpenAL library 'libopenal.1.18.2.dylib'.
OpenAL initialized successfully with output device 'OpenAL Soft'.
Warning: Unable to find cutscene 'prologue.smk'.
Establishing connection with metaserver at metaserver.gateofstorms.net:6321...
Connected.
Disconnecting from metaserver.
Closing Myth.
Yankee
erileykc

Re: Myth 1.8.3 crashing Mac Mojave

Post by erileykc »

Just played a game on CWR and myth crashed so thoroughly at the end of the game that the game results didn't post to the games list on the site.
Yankee
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

The "Closing Myth." line indicates that it didn't crash. Are you sure it's right log?

When you say it "crashes the machine", does that mean the whole OS goes down and you have to restart the computer? If so, it sounds like a bug in Mojave. My guess is it might be related to the graphics drivers. Perhaps you can try using software rendering and see if it doesn't crash then - as a way to diagnose the problem.
erileykc

Post by erileykc »

Thanks for the suggestion Myrd.

Yes it crashes the machine back to a Mac OS log in screen as if the machine has restarted on it's own. The pasted crash log was from a normal quit of the game as the crashes don't generate a crashlog. You suggestion to use software render does indeed allow Myth to end a game normally so something about Myth 1.8.3 is not happy about whatever Mojave 10.14.6 has done to Mac OS. Anything I can do that would be helpful in tracking this down or just keep running in software render and be happy with that?
Myrd wrote:The "Closing Myth." line indicates that it didn't crash. Are you sure it's right log?

When you say it "crashes the machine", does that mean the whole OS goes down and you have to restart the computer? If so, it sounds like a bug in Mojave. My guess is it might be related to the graphics drivers. Perhaps you can try using software rendering and see if it doesn't crash then - as a way to diagnose the problem.
Yankee
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

erileykc wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:41 pm Thanks for the suggestion Myrd.

Yes it crashes the machine back to a Mac OS log in screen as if the machine has restarted on it's own. The pasted crash log was from a normal quit of the game as the crashes don't generate a crashlog. You suggestion to use software render does indeed allow Myth to end a game normally so something about Myth 1.8.3 is not happy about whatever Mojave 10.14.6 has done to Mac OS. Anything I can do that would be helpful in tracking this down or just keep running in software render and be happy with that?
Myrd wrote:The "Closing Myth." line indicates that it didn't crash. Are you sure it's right log?

I know you're playing in software mode to workaround this. I'm wondering if you could try some of the poweruser.txt settings related to OpenGL to see if any of them fix the issue? See the "10. Power User Preferences" section in:
https://projectmagma.net/downloads/myth ... _1.8.3.pdf

If you find one that does, we could add detection for your GPU/drivers to automatically enable that by default so that others on the same set up won't have the issue.

Also, I know you're on the private testers forum. Can you check if the issue is still there with the test builds?