Myth II 1.8.4 Beta 2 [Updated]

Talk about anything here.
Myrd
Site Admin

Myth II 1.8.4 Beta 2 [Updated]

Post by Myrd »

Hello all!

The beta of the Myth II 1.8.4 update is now available for testing. Download it here:
https://projectmagma.net/downloads/myth2_updates/

Note: The beta has been updated to fix an OOS issue. If you've previously downloaded the earlier Build 459, please delete it and use the new version.

You can check out the ReadMe above for details and download the exe/app (compressed with 7zip) from the link above. You can drop the app into your Myth II folder alongside 1.8.3 and use it to launch the beta.

The 1.8.4 beta is gameplay compatible with 1.8.3, but all clients need to be on 1.8.4 for the gameplay-related changes to be in effect.

Happy Mything and please report any bug you encounter to us (you can reply to this thread). Thanks!
Jon God

Re: Myth II 1.8.4 Beta

Post by Jon God »

How long will this beta run for? I would like to submit a new version of WWII Heroes, but it will require 1.8.4. Should I hold off until the final release?
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
Point

Post by Point »

1.8.3 so if the unit definitions limit is not going to be raised in 1.8.4 ... can it be made so the game doesn't crash if too many players join at the start thus crossing the limit. Mid game joiners don't crash the game they simply can't be given any units.

Error: File system Open in /M/Myth2Code/definitions.c, line #416: couldn't read header for unit definition '_cuz'.
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Jon God wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:53 am How long will this beta run for? I would like to submit a new version of WWII Heroes, but it will require 1.8.4. Should I hold off until the final release?
Beta will run until August 16, and then the final will be made available. The new artifact flag isn't going to change between now and then (unless you find a bug in it, I guess?), so should be fine to release any time you want.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

We're been made aware of an OOS bug with 1.8.4. We'll be working to put out a new build with a fix shortly. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for testing!
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Awesome... excited for this update. Been hoping for a formation pathing fix for many years! Good work guys. Looking forward to testing this out.

Are you open to other feature suggestions?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Myrd wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:45 am We're been made aware of an OOS bug with 1.8.4. We'll be working to put out a new build with a fix shortly. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for testing!
We've now updated the download links with Build 460, which fixes the OOS issue.
adrenaline wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:31 pm Are you open to other feature suggestions?
Definitely! No promises and most likely we won't be doing any more changes to 1.8.4 for the final (other than bug fixes for any 1.8.4 issues) - but we can consider them for future updates.
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Myth II 1.8.4 Beta 2 [Updated]

Post by Melekor »

OOS film from hmp
same game not OOS: http://gateofstorms.net/games/353076/

EDIT: This will be fixed for final. (-Myrd)
Attachments
oos_8-6-21_b460.zip
(931 Bytes) Downloaded 342 times
Reiginoob

Post by Reiginoob »

The readme says the Mac version is compatible with PPC, x86 and Apple Silicon processors - does this mean it runs natively on Apple Silicon or under Rosetta? If natively, it's kind of mind-blowing that (a) there is such a thing as a PPC/intel/Apple universal binary, (b) that you guys are even still supporting PPC (I don't know how many other developers in 2021 still are; I'd be interested to know how many downloads you get of the PPC-only build), and (c) that this old game from 1998 that was originally written to run in System 7.5 on a PowerPC 601 can even be compiled for Apple Silicon and macOS 11.

I suppose most of the serious legwork must have happened when Apple discontinued the old Carbon APIs?

Anyway, great work guys, we are incredibly lucky to have you.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Reiginoob wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:23 am The readme says the Mac version is compatible with PPC, x86 and Apple Silicon processors - does this mean it runs natively on Apple Silicon or under Rosetta? If natively, it's kind of mind-blowing that (a) there is such a thing as a PPC/intel/Apple universal binary, (b) that you guys are even still supporting PPC (I don't know how many other developers in 2021 still are; I'd be interested to know how many downloads you get of the PPC-only build), and (c) that this old game from 1998 that was originally written to run in System 7.5 on a PowerPC 601 can even be compiled for Apple Silicon and macOS 11.

I suppose most of the serious legwork must have happened when Apple discontinued the old Carbon APIs?

Anyway, great work guys, we are incredibly lucky to have you.
It is a native M1 version. It is indeed a universal binary with 4 architectures - PPC/x86/x86_64/arm64. I'm not sure how many actual PPC users we have but you can look at downloads on the tain for the PPC build of 1.8.3:

https://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/ ... ac-classic

But some of that could be webcrawlers.

And yeah moving off of Carbon APIs and making it 64-bit compatible in past updates let us support M1 relatively easily.
Deceiver

Post by Deceiver »

You guys are my heros for keeping this project going. Really.
Thank you all for keeping one of the greatest Mac games ever created, alive.