Model making tutorial - a work in progress

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Malice (and its partner app Spite) is Mac only. No idea where you can get that from ... perhaps clanplaid hotline?

GeomView is by the same author, runs natively on MacOSX or PC.

Mac version: http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/GeomView_Mac.sit

PC: http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/GeomView_PC.zip
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Cool, thats where it is. Many thanks.
(AKA Captain Trips, Amadeus)
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

thanks Iron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm going to need to create some models for Classical Greece plugin.
So I'll try first to tweak some myth originals....
If you have any that could work let me know...
I'll use the models from the library map that look classic but I'll need new temples and houses and maybe a primitive lighthouse?
to create a classical greece city by the sea where hoplites could invade....
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Road

Post by Road »

That would be cool Carl. Im trying to remember a myth buddy that was looking for this type of work too but its been a long long long time since Iv been involved.
If anyone hasnt seen Carls work you may want to look into it. I highly suggest working with this guy!
Great work so far Carl!!!!
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Yeah carlinho has some great stuff. We all love his work over here at idiot. =-).

On another note, I've talked to killswitch and it looks like I'll be getting his code for geom view and plan to update it with a .skl exporter. We'll see what else after I get the code and get an idea what I'm getting myself into. =-D
(AKA Captain Trips, Amadeus)
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

hey guys!!!!!!
thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's a hell of an incentive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

Very good tutorial Iron. You've always been good at writing clear, easy-to-read stuff.

I'd add a section about the surface edit tags in Vegas -- (Closest Z and Dependencies) they are extremely important for complex models.

I promise, once you get the hang of Dependencies, your whole approach to making models will change. You may find there are ways to bend the traditional rules for making "good" models. You'll find yourself carefully debating the size and the position of every polygon as you're creating them. :)

Sorry for dropping off the face of the earth so quickly. I remain very busy, but not with Myth these days. I have no plans to return to mapmaking at this time, but I remain interested in what you guys are doing. Maybe I can become the hermit sage people occasionally visit for tidbits of arcane knowledge. :cool:
Mauglir
Point

Re: Model making tutorial - a work in progress

Post by Point »

are these geomview files still on the tain somewhere?

looking for working links
to geom view mac and pc and quesa.dll file.

thanks

--found some versions in killswitch folder... might be good to have them in the useful tools folder... still looking for the dll and or a way to get quesa to work with osx. 10.6.8 seems 10.6 was the last version it worked for me on.
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
GodzFire

Re: Model making tutorial - a work in progress

Post by GodzFire »

Holy freaking shit Point, a 13 year necro almost to the day, really? You couldn't have just made a new post and linked to this?

I have GeomView, along with every Myth Tool that was ever made. Think I'm joking? I'm not.