Talk about anything here.
William Wallet

Bungie unit models

Post by William Wallet »

Hola,
as briefly mentioned in this thread :

http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3957

The models still exist?

What is it going to take to get them leaked out or passed around? If this hasn't happened yet, why? Is there some sort of NDA going on, or wut?

I'm not above begging! Let's work something out, get a bittorrent going or hell - I'll PayPal you guys if posting a DVD to Australia is what it takes. I can't make models to save my life but I'm decent at animating and I think there's life in the old models yet.

To reiterate; what change in circumstances will it take for the models to be distributed, in the same way that we share the Myth soundtrack, the promotional pictures, etcetera.
Even if worthy projects never emerge from the models being available, they should exist in more than a couple of places..... for posterity alone!

Humbly the bitch of anyone who will get this going,
- Wallet.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Just release the shit. Or if you don't want to be named, get in touch with me and I'll do it, no questions asked.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Indeed!

I'm aware of how 'me-me-me' this thread must seem, but look at it from a mapmaking resources point of view... I honestly think that new and interesting stuff can be made with these models. For starters, the cavalry unit I made a few years ago probably would've looked a heap better if I could've posed the warrior a bit better.

We're able to lay our hands on pretty much any Myth resource that exists these days... artwork, music, even the old TFL manual prologue (for the less scrupulous who might have got the game through Bittorrent). I think the unit models being leaked would put at least a bit of life into the unit making/haxing trade, even if most of us would be too numb in the brain to do anything with them!

As I said earlier; whatever it takes to get this rolling, I'll do it. I'm on my knees here dudes. Even if it's a short-time-only offer, the first step is getting it out to one or two folks.... I'm sure they'll handle the rest.

pls!
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

I think, at least the majority of people mentioned in the previous thread, don't frequent these forums anymore. You might have do some more vigorous digging.

-DA
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

myth3 models are accessible, but i dont know anyone with myth2's!!
Try this funny game, it's free, broswer based and doesn't ask for email.www.mybrute.com
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Death's Avatar wrote:I think, at least the majority of people mentioned in the previous thread, don't frequent these forums anymore. You might have do some more vigorous digging.

-DA
Waaaah!

Who do I have to nag/beg/persuade/be nice to?!
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Zeph wrote:myth3 models are accessible, but i dont know anyone with myth2's!!
Myth 3 Unit Models? Or just model models?
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

William Wallet wrote:
Death's Avatar wrote:I think, at least the majority of people mentioned in the previous thread, don't frequent these forums anymore. You might have do some more vigorous digging.

-DA
Waaaah!

Who do I have to nag/beg/persuade/be nice to?!
I think CIK and Blades at least...check that other thread.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Blades?

.... Oh crap. :/ If he even knew who I was for starters, he certainly wouldn't be in the mood to send me awesome stuff!

I remember exchanging e-mails with CIK some years ago on this same topic. The vibe I got from him was that if we had a serious project in mind, that he'd consider sending us the models.

I imagine that if they still exist, his attitude is likely the same now as it was then, but I mean really.... if not for my benefit, then surely someone out there can do something canny with them?

Is it a file-size thing that's stopping them being shared? Or as I said earlier, an NDA?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

William Wallet wrote:Is it a file-size thing that's stopping them being shared? Or as I said earlier, an NDA?
in these days of free and cheap online storage iI seriously doubt it's a file-size issue.

Also, just conjecturing here since I don't know the timeline or who was involved in what - but if the Myth 2 unit models were 'leaked' after Take2 acquired Myth II by any method other than an official Take2 decision/action then there is the whole legal issue as well. e.g. since no one but Take2 would have had the legal right to distribute or sell Myth II content/game-assets, anyone who HAS that 'illegally obtained' content might not want to make their ownership widely known OR distribute the content any further than it already is.

There could be of course many other reasons why the original Bungie unit models haven't been distributed to a wider audience.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

If there are any names other than CIK/Blades worth asking (Clem will have it too, Blades would share it with him, but he isn't worth asking), let me know and I'll try and dig up an e-mail. Nitro's relied on me to do some digging before, and I have had some luck finding people.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

vinylrake wrote:but if the Myth 2 unit models were 'leaked' after Take2 acquired Myth II by any method other than an official Take2 decision/action then there is the whole legal issue as well. e.g. since no one but Take2 would have had the legal right to distribute or sell Myth II content/game-assets, anyone who HAS that 'illegally obtained' content might not want to make their ownership widely known OR distribute the content any further than it already is.
Arguably true, except that I don't think Take2 even knows Myth 2 exists, or that they own it.
£N

Post by £N »

A-Red wrote:
vinylrake wrote:but if the Myth 2 unit models were 'leaked' after Take2 acquired Myth II by any method other than an official Take2 decision/action then there is the whole legal issue as well. e.g. since no one but Take2 would have had the legal right to distribute or sell Myth II content/game-assets, anyone who HAS that 'illegally obtained' content might not want to make their ownership widely known OR distribute the content any further than it already is.
Arguably true, except that I don't think Take2 even knows Myth 2 exists, or that they own it.
I'm inclined to agree with this.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

£N wrote:
A-Red wrote:[Arguably true, except that I don't think Take2 even knows Myth 2 exists, or that they own it.
I'm inclined to agree with this.
I am too. I just mentioned the legal issues as a potential reason the models haven't yet seen the light of day.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

(sigh) all too true!

I wish to God I could think of some argument more persuasive than 'well the music and the art is already up, why not the units?'.

I've had a thought, and it was indeed CIK I asked.