Mazzarin's Demise - Question

Talk about anything here.
mark_wr

Mazzarin's Demise - Question

Post by mark_wr »

Hi all, I'm a retired computer programmer. I'm playing Myth II v1.6.0 Build 290, screen resolution of 1920x1200. After finishing the original game, I've played a few plugins. All the games I play are solo games. I recently tried Mazzarin's Demise V, but after I activate the plugin and try to start a new game, I don't see any new levels to choose from, just the original levels from "Willow Creek" thru "The Forge". I then downloaded and installed Mazzarin's Demise VI, which I assume is the one that will work with my current v1.60. I now see the level "Mazzarin's Demise - Secret Level" as the ONLY new level to choose from. Is that correct? I played that level as a solo player in Timid mode (as suggested for solo play). After playing the level for awhile, some kind of "explosion/warp?" removed my units, and the level was over, with me suffering no casualties. I'm a bit confused, having never played Mazzarin's Demise before. Surely there must be more to it than this? More levels? More playing time? What am I missing...probably something stupid in my install?

Also, should I install Mazzarin's Demise III and IV ... are the different versions additive with new levels (working together), or are the new versions pretty much the same levels just ported to work with the newer versions of the Myth II engine (which would be my guess)? I did remove Mazzarin's Demise V from the Plugins directory before putting Mazzarin's Demise VI there.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Each Mazzarin's Demise is different. Mazz 1 and 2 were for TFL. Mazz 3 was a port to Myth 2 with some changes, and so on. Each newer version has something new to the level to make it harder and different. No need to remove older or newer ones to play the others.

With most plugins, when you activate one you must hold Shift as you click New Game or the OK button where you activate the plugin. This action will force the game to list all the levels you can play... including Mazzarin's Demise.

As for why the Secret Level blows up, you require a key to unlock it to play that you must use each time you play that level. The reason was that when Mazz 6 came out, the idea was that the key would be given once a team was able to beat it in Heroic difficulty.

The key if I recall correctly is making the Electromancer taunt (U key) as well as the second Squire to the left. This will disable the script that blows up your units and then you can play it.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Also it's good to note that Mazz isn't really the type of map you'd play solo. I mean you could try, but I don't think it would be very fun - since it was truly designed for coop gameplay.
Last edited by Myrd on Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark_wr

Post by mark_wr »

Thanks Pyro, now that you mention, I do seem to remember that bit about using the Shift key, and now I do see the VI level.

Thanks Myrd ... yeah I now realize it's not designed so much for solo, but I'll give it a try anyway I think.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

If you're interested in a similar style 'non stop chaos' map that DOES work well as a SOLO level, try downloading Grave Tidings or Grave Tidings Tournement Edition. Both great maps that play hard and fast, but more tollerable to micromanage by yourself.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I'd also recommend Fortress of Doom. Thought it's DEFINITELY designed for a handful of players (just not more than 7), if you get good you can play for quite a while before you die. I am average at best and after the first few disastrous attempts, once I got the hang of it and realized that leaving the fortress right away wasn't the best idea, I could play a good 45-60 minutes before dying horribly. Never saw the end playing solo, and there's lots of stuff I haven't mastered yet (like the reinforcements and raising the dead to get more reinforcements) but lots of fun, mayhem and killing along the way.
Fury IX

Post by Fury IX »

A little more info about the old mazz contest: http://hl.udogs.net/mazz6/

Finally, to honor the Eternal Champion, the "key" to the Secret Level (SL) is hearby revealed.

Step 1: Once the game begins, taunt with the Electromancer.

Step 2: Wait a second or two and then taunt with the second Squire on the left.

You may taunt with Mazzarin to auto-distribute before or after steps 1 and 2, but not inbetween. Do not attempt to taunt with any other units until after you have completed step 2. Any deviation from these instructions will result in the total imminent annihilation of all player units.