myth: the fallen lords

Talk about anything here.
Jon God

Re: myth: the fallen lords

Post by Jon God »

Amadeus wrote:
William Wallet wrote:Myth 2 is a better platform for making cool shit, but TFL romped it in as far as the story went. For me it will always be better as a complete experience.

The fact that Myth 2 is comprehensively more moddable isn't really an issue; it just makes for an interesting hobby.
Being a platform for making cool shit is an important thing though.

Being able to morph the engine into other things gives the game replayability. Just look at starcraft. I'd say the vast majority of games played are custom games. Its an important part of game design and one that too often gets looked over.
Agreed, I wouldn't still be playing Myth if I couldn't bring my ideas to life through it.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Oh, I absolutely agree about the moddability of Myth II as a factor in it's longevity. That's indisputable.
I was just saying, if I were to rate the games as self-contained experiences or stories, then TFL was always the stronger one. I have a bit of a tendency to think story-first, is all. Story, music, characters .. heh. It's sort of why I quit trying to mod things and stuck with other forms of storytelling.

I wonder if BUNGiE had any idea how far the players would take the mapmaking thing, back in the day?
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Omicron

Post by Omicron »

oogaBooga wrote:
Omicron wrote:So, TFL was better than SB.
I must have missed something because I havent seen that established anywhere.
also do you have black ops?
Nope, only game I have is Halo 3, and I don't play it because I only have silver. So basically my xbox 360 sits under my bed, never used. I also only have a xbox 360 because I found it in the dumpster, along with the Halo 3 game. Free stuff!
This message delivered by Interplanetary Telegraph Service
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Man, I never find good stuff in dumpsters.

Not that I go looking all that often…
The cake is a lie.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

the 3 most important things to take into account to maximize your diving payoff, are location.location.location.

try driving around during move-out weekend at your local artsy or ivy league college with a large out of state enrollment - dumpsters (or curbside) are overflowing with TVs, furniture, lamps, books, DVDs/CDs, pretty much anything their friends don't want and they don't want to pay to ship across country.

at least that's what i've heard.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

William Wallet wrote:Oh, I absolutely agree about the moddability of Myth II as a factor in it's longevity. That's indisputable.
I was just saying, if I were to rate the games as self-contained experiences or stories, then TFL was always the stronger one. I have a bit of a tendency to think story-first, is all. Story, music, characters .. heh. It's sort of why I quit trying to mod things and stuck with other forms of storytelling.

I wonder if BUNGiE had any idea how far the players would take the mapmaking thing, back in the day?
I feel the story in Myth 1 was better, though a little less clear, the levels I felt, however, were much looser, which was remedied in the second game.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

i thought the levels in M2 were a lot less coherent story-wise (they seemed to skip around and not flow very well), they just seemed a lot more hodge-podge. and M2 has some great levels, but overall there are a lot more levels i really liked replaying in M1 than in M2. i don't recall any horrible M1 levels, where I could probably name a half dozen in M2 that I really really never liked.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

vinylrake wrote:i thought the levels in M2 were a lot less coherent story-wise (they seemed to skip around and not flow very well), they just seemed a lot more hodge-podge. and M2 has some great levels, but overall there are a lot more levels i really liked replaying in M1 than in M2. i don't recall any horrible M1 levels, where I could probably name a half dozen in M2 that I really really never liked.
I feel they both jumped around a lot, TFL with things like Myrgard, Out of the Barrier, SB with Beyond the cloudspine->The Great Library->The Gate of Storms.

In general though, a lot of Myth TFL levels felt more linear to me, and cramped. There are exceptions, like the first level, Homecoming, and some others, but a lot of the levels, you have to play through in one way.
Omicron

Post by Omicron »

vinylrake wrote:the 3 most important things to take into account to maximize your diving payoff, are location.location.location.
Ain't that the truth. I have the incredible misfortune to be on an air base, however, the fortune of having around 1,000 very stupid airmen living in the barracks. So, when they don't have room, or they get to move off base, they throw things they don't want away. And then I find it.

The fourth most important thing to remember? Most companies empty dumpsters on Monday morning, and most people buy things or move out on weekends, so the one day of the week diving really pays off is Sunday night.

I'm not some crazy hobo but I have found over $2,000 in useful merchandise in the past three months.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

People throw away an awful lot of perfectly useful stuff, basically i think because we are lazy and it's easier to drag something to the curb or toss it in the dumpster than cart it to the Salvation Army or some similar organization that could use the stuff. when i have things i no longer want that aren't good enough for donating but might still have some use to someone i make sure to put it out to the curb the night before. so far someone has picked up all the potentially-useful stuff i've left out.

our consumerist culture doesn't help with it's focus on always buying the newest of everything - 're=using' something or using 'found' stuff in some circles/communities makes you practically an un-american communist. to me it's the ultimate (most efficient) form of recycling. my goal is to become a hobo. or at least a vagabond. but i need to figure out the right climate. this long term climate change is screwing with my long-term plans.
Omicron

Post by Omicron »

Well, I agree with you concerning how people probably are just taking the easier route of putting things in the trash instead of donating, but the things I have found only speak of stupidity.
Last edited by Omicron on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:45 am, edited 42 times in total.
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

vinylrake wrote:People throw away an awful lot of perfectly useful stuff, basically i think because we are lazy and it's easier to drag something to the curb or toss it in the dumpster than cart it to the Salvation Army or some similar organization that could use the stuff. when i have things i no longer want that aren't good enough for donating but might still have some use to someone i make sure to put it out to the curb the night before. so far someone has picked up all the potentially-useful stuff i've left out.

our consumerist culture doesn't help with it's focus on always buying the newest of everything - 're=using' something or using 'found' stuff in some circles/communities makes you practically an un-american communist. to me it's the ultimate (most efficient) form of recycling. my goal is to become a hobo. or at least a vagabond. but i need to figure out the right climate. this long term climate change is screwing with my long-term plans.
Also plays a bit on ignorance too. I agree with everything you said, but its easier to phone Salvation Army or a similar organization for a pickup than to throw it in the trash.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Amadeus wrote:Also plays a bit on ignorance too. I agree with everything you said, but its easier to phone Salvation Army or a similar organization for a pickup than to throw it in the trash.
depends on what you are throwing away and your local charities, the local salvation army here says they don't do pickups.
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

vinylrake wrote:
Amadeus wrote:Also plays a bit on ignorance too. I agree with everything you said, but its easier to phone Salvation Army or a similar organization for a pickup than to throw it in the trash.
depends on what you are throwing away and your local charities, the local salvation army here says they don't do pickups.
A fair point.
bigbro

Post by bigbro »

I once tried to give away a perfectly fine and usable convertible bed, and the guys had decided they wouldn't pick it up once they had climbed the stairs. Lazy asses. Then I had to get it down alone in that supposed-to-be-narrow stairway for the litter service to pick it up on the street. I was moving out of town on the next day. So I had to dismantle it and it's very unlikely someone could pick up the pieces before it got trashed. Just give away directly to people you know or post adds.