What maps would YOU like to see detail textured?

Talk about anything here.
Jon God

Re: What maps would YOU like to see detail textured?

Post by Jon God »

Lowry wrote:WW2 Police Action

Thanks
Where can I find this?

I'm Jon God, and I approve this message.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

Insert text here.
Divine entity of map making.
Undefeated god of 1v1 map making contests that have yet to happen.
Insert massive ego here

Someone tell this guy to stop having so many signatures
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Just installed a new graphics card and finally started using the detailed textures... looks great, man.

As for what other maps you should do... well it's already been said, but...

Magma TFL multipack --> definitely
all common MWC maps...
Caer
Tamaerlin
Barbarian Valley
Acts of Cruelty
Calm Before the Storm
Hvergelmir
Fosgarach
Lichen
Grilling Grounds
Dun Caric
Great Divide
Krakatoa
A Poison Holiday
The Barrens
Smells like blood in here
etc.
SamualACarver

Post by SamualACarver »

Are you just doing Plugins? I didnt see them on you list of maps you've done but, detailing all of the standard maps would be cool. At least detailing Gimble would be great.

Edit: I checked the link you had and saw the Standard Solo/Coop maps. And you had the Standard Multi Maps listed. So I guess I'm just giving another Vote for the Standard Multi Maps and 14 votes for Gimble.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

jesus christ sam... TRY the textures before commenting...

YES, the standard maps have been done. very likely they were the first one he did.
SamualACarver

Post by SamualACarver »

Well I didnt see any screen shots of them (multi maps). Yea I figured it would have made sense he did them first, but I didnt see them on the list or like I said Screen shots. So I thought maybe he didnt think it was worth while.

And where do I get them. The link a few post up just has Screen Shots. I dont see a download for them anywhere.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

That's the original pack we released, the new one will be much better. I believe Jon has a beta of it up somewhere, I'll let him post the link.
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

adrenaline wrote:Just installed a new graphics card and finally started using the detailed textures... looks great, man.

As for what other maps you should do... well it's already been said, but...

Magma TFL multipack --> definitely
all common MWC maps...
Caer
Tamaerlin
Barbarian Valley
Acts of Cruelty
Calm Before the Storm
Hvergelmir
Fosgarach
Lichen
Grilling Grounds
Dun Caric
Great Divide
Krakatoa
A Poison Holiday
The Barrens
Smells like blood in here
etc.

pending :0
Insert text here.
Insert massive ego here

adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

saw you posted the file on mwc forums, haven't had a chance to look at it yet though. same textures for bnet maps as the magma textures? or completely different?
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Haven't look at Revan's yet but I'm pretty sure they are different, and Jon God's (yet to be officially released) are different again.

From the screenshots I've seen the original magma ones aim to be fairly true to the original cmap and thus are pretty subtle, JG's are more obvious but mostly try to not change the overall shade of the terrain and Revan's are yet another step further - in some cases largely changing the look of the overall cmap texture.

This is of course a generalization, but to some extent people will need to just choose which methodology they like best depending on how attached they are to the original artistic intent.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Why didn't you mention my upcoming retro-arcade detail-texture pak? They underlie every map with bold textures containing logos and bit-mapped sprites from classic arcade games. It will totally pwn JG and DR and Magma's Detail Textures.
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

vinylrake wrote:Why didn't you mention my upcoming retro-arcade detail-texture pak?

Because even the thought of it would make anyones heart exploded by the sheer awesomeness.
Insert text here.
Insert massive ego here

Cydonian

Post by Cydonian »

[quote="Jon God"]
Rumor I heard is Cydonian still has all the unit models he's made somewhere, but he's not the kind to just share the models.

It's not that I'm "not the kind" to share the models, it's just that they're not likely to do anyone any good. The software (Animation:Master) is not widely used and doesn't play well with (or export to) other formats in any workable form, at least at the time I was using it. I could export models in another model format, but they are then untextured and no longer have skeletons (or animations). A:M even had some issues being self-compatible -- when I upgraded from version 8.5 to 9.0, even my own old models didn't work anymore. I gave ozone one of my old A:M CDs and all of the Green Berets models, and he couldn't get anything to work, so this has discouraged me from thinking they're likely to work for anyone else. I do have all the old files (if the CD-Rs haven't bit-rotted), and I might have donated them to the community long ago if they weren't probably going to be completely useless to anyone not running the same version of A:M they were created with. :(
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Cydonian wrote:
Jon God wrote: Rumor I heard is Cydonian still has all the unit models he's made somewhere, but he's not the kind to just share the models.

It's not that I'm "not the kind" to share the models, it's just that they're not likely to do anyone any good. The software (Animation:Master) is not widely used and doesn't play well with (or export to) other formats in any workable form, at least at the time I was using it. I could export models in another model format, but they are then untextured and no longer have skeletons (or animations). A:M even had some issues being self-compatible -- when I upgraded from version 8.5 to 9.0, even my own old models didn't work anymore. I gave ozone one of my old A:M CDs and all of the Green Berets models, and he couldn't get anything to work, so this has discouraged me from thinking they're likely to work for anyone else. I do have all the old files (if the CD-Rs haven't bit-rotted), and I might have donated them to the community long ago if they weren't probably going to be completely useless to anyone not running the same version of A:M they were created with. :(
Heya Cydonian, didn't meant to peg you as someone who didn't share, I would totally respect it if you never shared any of your models, because you put the work in, and it's up to you to do what you want with them. Sorry if the post came out sounding otherwise.

Also, as for compatibility, Mythers are quite adapt at learning old software, as the original Myth II models are in Alias Studio Tools format, which sounds pretty much like what you just described. :)

It's up to you, but I am sure someone would be able to get the models up to speed, and make some higher res renders. If not, it's always fun to see the models up close, and see how much detail/effort has been put in (In my opinion at least).
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD