The Great Journey II??

Talk about anything here.
Platinum

The Great Journey II??

Post by Platinum »

So played this wonderful solo for 2 hours, got to the very end where you must defend the fort, and then DEFEAT. Nothing happened other than a heron running out of the fort a ways to scout out the oncoming hoard. I guess he went a bit too far because the game ended and we lost, despite having tons of units left and doing really well. 2 hours and 5 minutes into the game and it ends because we sent a unit out of the fort too far. Really aggravating, but not bad for the first time ever playing that map between the two of us. Is this something in the script or was this an error? Just want to confirm that it wasn't a bug so I don't spend another 2 hours of my life playing it just to lose again for no apparent reason at all.
Platinum

Re: The Great Journey II??

Post by Platinum »

Aight so played it again. At the end, I notice that every single skeleton sword that drops, never disappears like most projectiles do when you get too many of them. So, a few hundred of those on the ground, and spinning in circles, and then, my dwarves start throwing air. There are no bottles coming out. THere is no healing animation. There are no arrows coming from the bowmen. Then I got overrun by an enormous pack of skeletons. WTF just happened? My computer can handle max settings, but it seems like the game itself could not handle all those projectiles. Ridiculous, almost 3 hours in and I have to lose in that manner because the graphics bug.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Myth has a fixed limit for the number of projectiles that can be created. If a map reaches that limit, then no new projectiles will be created. This is a flaw in the map design, not a game bug.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

If the mapmaker does not fix it, you could simply keep in mind that you need to kill those instances of that projectile.

If you are interested in knowing which limits are being reached in the map (in game or in film) use Shift F12 or Shift F5. When one of those is near its limit it stops allowing new ones from being created. Which is why your dwarves could not create new projectiles.
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

Platinum wrote:Aight so played it again. At the end, I notice that every single skeleton sword that drops, never disappears like most projectiles do when you get too many of them. So, a few hundred of those on the ground, and spinning in circles, and then, my dwarves start throwing air. There are no bottles coming out. THere is no healing animation. There are no arrows coming from the bowmen. Then I got overrun by an enormous pack of skeletons. WTF just happened? My computer can handle max settings, but it seems like the game itself could not handle all those projectiles. Ridiculous, almost 3 hours in and I have to lose in that manner because the graphics bug.
This has always been a problem with Myth, and over the years, updates have improved this some, but the limits still exist. Myth only handles so many Objects and Projectiles, when those limit are reached, it no longer produces new ones until falling below that limit again.

Projectile Bio-Degradation has been and still is (afaik) the usual method of nullifying this issue, but that comes down to us mapmakers to realize our maps are exceeding those limits and/or excpect to be and plan accordingly and setting up projectiles to remove themselves from the map after a time period in Fear. Apparently the maker of this map was unaware of his Projectile Limit problem with his map ?? :o(

EDIT::

BAH!! Pyro beat me to the punch again !!
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

Okay so the shift F5 feature is good to monitor that, but is there any way to reduce it on my own so that the map would then become playable? Is there anything in preferences? The textile cache thing, does that have anything to do with the projectiles, etc.?
Platinum

Post by Platinum »

Welp found the reason why. I didn't have the tagset loaded. This is the fix for it:

http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/t ... projtagset

Lol. :facepalm:
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

Platinum wrote:Welp found the reason why. I didn't have the tagset loaded. This is the fix for it:

http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/t ... projtagset

Lol. :facepalm:
Heh, good ole Bio-Degraders ;o)
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

It's a script that causes you to lose if you leave the fort. It's meant to keep you there so you don't go off herding the enemies :p

Although that was before I knew about smarter scripts and what not so I apologize for that.

I would've released a patch but I figured changing one little thing wasn't enough to warrant an omni. Also I just thought that that level had outlived it's welcome and no one played it anymore XD.
Insert text here.
Divine entity of map making.
Undefeated god of 1v1 map making contests that have yet to happen.
Insert massive ego here

Someone tell this guy to stop having so many signatures
capital

Post by capital »

I gave Darth Revan an update to Great Journey II with some novelty features and fixes, I guess we need to publicly shame him into publishing it with a proper relinking to the dtex. :P