Patchwork - Myth 3 texture stack extractor

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Yes everyone, it's another Fun & Mostly Uselessâ„¢ app. Patchwork will extract the JPG files out of Myth 3 texture stacks. (To extract the texture stacks from the monolithic tag files, use UnTag.) Additionally, it will recompile the sliced up mesh images back into one huge JPG for your viewing/editing pleasure.

Get em while they're hot:

Patchwork for Mac

Patchwork for Windows

Enjoy. Remember, no warranty expressed, implied or even hinted at.

Killswitch
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

Awesome!
Keep up the good work man, I love your stuff.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Nice job Kills ;-)
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

So wait, this allows you to edit unit animations and such? Or is this for editing terrain?
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Viktor wrote:So wait, this allows you to edit unit animations and such? Or is this for editing terrain?

This exports the picture data from texture stacks. Texture stacks are image files for Myth 3. They are similar to collections (.256 files) in Myth TFL & SB.

Terrains use texture stacks for showing different textures on the map. Units use them for skin texture (team colored areas, shiny areas like armor, etc).

Using Patchwork, you could export a unit's skin, edit it slightly, then reimport it using Ballistic. (Like if you wanted to lighten the units so they were more visible instead of gray on slightly-darker-gray.)

Additionally, you could use it to export a Myth 3 map's colormap then maybe bring it into Loathing and make a map for Myth II. Lots of uses. :cool:

As for unit animations: Myth 3 uses 3d models for units (as opposed to sprites for TFL & SB). The animations for these models are nothing more than bone animations (like a 3d modelling app would do). Just change the unit's texture stack and ALL of its animations (walking, attacking, etc) will use the updated texture.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Haha, im an idiot. I thought your program WAS for myth tfl and soulbligher. Misread the initial post, i guess. It sounds pretty awesome. Is there a similar application for myth 2?
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Viktor wrote:Haha, im an idiot. I thought your program WAS for myth tfl and soulbligher. Misread the initial post, i guess. It sounds pretty awesome. Is there a similar application for myth 2?
Yes, it's called Untag, also made by Killswitch.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

OMFGâ„¢ What a wicked app. I love this!! Good work man!