Universal Myth plugin pack - can it be done?

Talk about anything here.
igmo

Post by igmo »

i'm chugging away at the documentation for these packs... i am formatting them as a ffa and team pack for size, btw.

i've personally contacted malkavian, who says there were never readme's with his maps (accept whatever he had to supply for the mill) and gave me his personal ranking of his own maps... i think his top 5 are the best... and it does not include rank and defiled (which has a weak colormap). other direct contacts were omac and ama - who've posted here.

phex sent in 'til mornings end, and it is not worthy of inclusion. sillek sent wasteland.. which is probably ok, but not on the same level as many on the list.

i have readme's for all of the badlands maps except frostbite and garden of segesta. they used a standard format for their readme's - which i could emulate. however, if someone knows a way to contact a badlands memeber (their site no longer lists ppl) it would be good to adress this whole isssue with them. the list includes 11 badlands maps, so their input would be more than appropriate.

on a similar line, leadfeather has 3 maps on the list - i'd contact him if anyone could point me his way.

also, does anyone know the author of Fosgarach Ruillick? i still have nothing for that map. i am also missing docs for ashes to ashes.

i can probably post something within the week... but i have a copy of WoW coming in the mail, so might get sidetracked.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

Our very own MCD is/was a member of badlands, if you can track him down, he might be able to give permission, and/or point you in the right direction.

And if you do track him down, don't let him get away, he's got some unfinished business with us here ;)
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
igmo

Post by igmo »

well, i was close enough on the ffa package to finish a draft.. which can be seen here:
http://www.m2sbtourney.com/codex2005/ffa/classicFFA.htm
this is the readme that will accompany the 80mb+ archive that holds all the maps.

i am wide open to suggestions/revisions.

i'll post the team interface when it is ready.

and, doobie, who or what is MDC?... clicks over to about us...
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

Looks good igmo. There is a typo down the bottom where it should read "except" I think. Some other maps I think that might fit in the package... Soma had some great ones... Hills of the Crow and a couple others. Really underplayed maps. Some maps like Mockingbird might also fit in the ffa pack, but in reality most people would probably be downloading both versions.
igmo

Post by igmo »

yeah, forgot to mention that i planned to put shattered vissage, mockingbird and krackatoa in the team pack.. jsut so its clear. (it makes the ffa and team packs closer to the same size)

i'll look at hills of the crow, i can't recall what its like.
sillek

Post by sillek »

Isn't Fosgarach Ruillick a Chimera map ? Perhaps you can check the readme's for Chimera to find the author.

On other notes: I have a version of Frostbite with an html readme. Garden of Segsta ? Same thing. readme included. Ashes to Ashes ? I have a readme for that, too. Created by Phis and CyberBob if you did not know. Atleast, that's what the readme says.

Leadfeather ? Doesn't he have a website ? I can't remember where I saw it linked. Maybe I am thinking of Malkavian's website.
igmo

Post by igmo »

sillek wrote:Isn't Fosgarach Ruillick a Chimera map ? Perhaps you can check the readme's for Chimera to find the author.

On other notes: I have a version of Frostbite with an html readme. Garden of Segsta ? Same thing. readme included. Ashes to Ashes ? I have a readme for that, too. Created by Phis and CyberBob if you did not know. Atleast, that's what the readme says.

Leadfeather ? Doesn't he have a website ? I can't remember where I saw it linked. Maybe I am thinking of Malkavian's website.

hey, well, i dont have the readme for fosg... but if you do, send it to me along with your reads for ashes, frostbite and segesta.

as for leadFeather, there is an email in the readme i have for shuffle...

you are a good person to keep those. like most ppl i tend to throw those away like it was the package that the map came in.

thanks to the wonders of batch processing and multi-file search and replace, i finished the team page:
http://www.m2sbtourney.com/codex2005/team/classicTEAM.htm

::edit:: fyi, with the maps listed now, the ffa pack is 65mb and the team pack is 80mb. it could be made nearly even by switching shattered vissage back to ffa... or left unequal.

Edited By igmo on 1109386893
sillek

Post by sillek »

Uploaded. It's a bit messy but you can figure out which goes to which when you open the files.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Personally I'm glad there's still arguments. Shows people still care a little about Miff.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
igmo

Post by igmo »

sillek wrote:Uploaded. It's a bit messy but you can figure out which goes to which when you open the files.
heh, turns out the 6mb segesta file you sent was not the readme ::wink::

thks for sending so quickly, but could u give segesta another go?

the others are updated now.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Thank you, Samsara, for your informative reply; I will browse the links when I have some spare moments. However, I was asking specifically for how copyright laws apply to Myth plugins. From what I recall reading in different sources, my understanding is that the EULA for Myth, Fear and Loathing states that by creating a plugin for Myth, either by using Fear and Loathing, or by reverse engineering Myth, the creator waives all rights of copyright protection to that plugin. Unless I misunderstood or there are elements to the EULA I am unaware of, it would appear that I could, if I wanted to, redistribute your map however I see fit, with or without the readme, and I wouldn’t be violating any of your legal rights or stealing from you.
Who said I was even speaking of you?

You did according to the message Blades relayed.

Edited By ChrisP on 1109393271
sillek

Post by sillek »

Alright, I uploaded the Segesta readme/images folder for the html.
Last time I was too lazy to drag the plugin out and when I got back at the computer the upload had errored.

Still getting errors for some reason.. tell me if it works or not.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

You don't know who MCD is?

He's even mentioned in the loathing.html guide that shipped on the Myth II CD that Bungie sold. He's on our About Us page here too.

Edited By Myrd on 1109400833
Phex

Post by Phex »

Your "preview" page looks very nice, igmo! Thank you for your efforts to promote the mappack! :)

Btw, what will become of the idea of several compilations except the classic one?
1) Fantasy/Medieval
2) Recent History
3) Modern/Future
4) Classic/Regular
5) Fun/Humor
6) WW2
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

A Note About Map Making
--------------------------
Myth II:Soulblighter ships with map editing tools, so you'll be able to create your own net maps and solo campaigns. Documentation for these tools is on the CD-ROM.

Any file(s) created with these tools may be freely distributed provided it conspicuously contains the following copyright message:

"Copyright 1998 in whole or in part Bungie Software Products Corporation. Created with Bungie's Fear and Loathing by: -YOUR NAME, YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS-"

In addition, you may not charge money for any Fear/Loathing creations that contain any Bungie copyrighted artwork, sounds, or other Bungie copyrighted content.

That is in the Myth II Manual - which you should have a copy of if you have a copy of Myth II.

Keywords to look out for : in whole or in part.

They are just protecting their copyrighted material. They are not forcing you to transfer your rights to your copyrighted material (which btw is usually only valid when you sign a written agreement to transfer them...)

Mainly this is to protect Bungie - for example, if some yahoo were to take Raid on the Plains, change it to a snow map, put it in a plugin, and try to say its their own artistic work without putting the Bungie copyright on it (in whole or in part), they are stealing Bungies ip.
(AKA Captain Trips, Amadeus)