Khromes wwIIi

Talk about anything here.
Blades ~FF~

Post by Blades ~FF~ »

I apologize if anything I said appears to be a flame as that is far from my intent. I just (understandably so) get a little defensive when someone implies they can't make mods because of flaws in my engine. If anything, it's easier to make mods now (with plugins enabled and working tools) than it has ever been.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Blades didn't really do anything wrong as far as I can tell. I think that he's referring to me Blades, since I have (somehow) aquired a reputation as one of the worst spammers ever and when I mentioned flame wars, I meant OB calling me a spammer and telling me to get outside, not you. Sorry to cause confusion.

Custom Decals can't be made in 1.3.1 I've been told, and it would be nice to have an even higher res setting, but no one actually makes decals (well gobby does) these days and most people won't care about res.

How many idiots are working on the new WWII? I know plenty of the guys listed on their site don't exist anymore...
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Custom Decals can't be made in 1.3.1 I've been told,

Yeah they can. Its really easy. I put up a quicktime movie on the flying flip hotline if you are interested. Most people I know use decals. And we actually DOUBLED the original res setting on the icons.

There are about 4 working on the project in various ways, 3 of which are officially in Idiot.
(AKA Captain Trips, Amadeus)
Blades ~FF~

Post by Blades ~FF~ »

The Elfoid wrote:Custom Decals can't be made in 1.3.1 I've been told, and it would be nice to have an even higher res setting, but no one actually makes decals (well gobby does) these days and most people won't care about res.
If you can't make custom decals in 1.3.1 then it's because you're trying to do it the same way you did in v1.0 - and yes the process changed slightly because of the implementation of plugins and game tag patching system from Myth II.

Again... mis-assigned blame on the part of people who don't bother to read about what has changed.
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

The Elfoid wrote:Nice, textures are unfinished I'm guessing?
Textures are finished. It may be hard to see from the shot, but that cannon has some of the best textures I've ever seen. Another great job by clem.
(AKA Captain Trips, Amadeus)
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

its true that some plugins couldn't be made in Myth 3 the same as they work in Myth 2. Blue & Grey, which was mentioned earlier, is one as it uses scripting enhancements that Myth 3 doesn't have.

On the other hand, I know that Myth 3 has some features that'll always be missing from Myth 2. Its not a question of flaws in either engine, just that they're not the same. I can absolutely understand FF's reluctance to add new things just in case a mapmaker uses them. The only reason we added many of the modding features to 1.4/1.5.x that we did is that we knew without doubt they were being used - otherwise you're right, its a waste of effort.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

Just to clarify, I was just stating the last thing I had heard, I have no idea on its accuracy, only khrome can say that for sure.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I never tried custom decals, I just got told that you must make them in old versions and port them across by someone else - no idea who now.
khrome

Post by khrome »

Blades ~FF~ wrote:
Orlando the Axe wrote:elfoid is cool leave him alone :angry: . I imagine khrome will likely read this thread and give an answer himself, last I heard they were problems with the engine that needed to be fixed before wwIIi could be completed.
I'd really like to know what "problems" are being referred to. Samsara has had no problem porting over an authentic playing WWII based mod to Myth III. It's been tedious trying to make it "feel" like the WWII that people are used to, but from a technical perspective, there are no issues that prevent it from being created.

There are well over 8000 sprites on the current beta of WWII on screen at any point and while that may be tweeked at some point to be less, there are no problems with playing it with that many sprites at this point.

The current beta plays on the 1.3.1 build of Myth III which has been out nearly a year now. Please don't blame the engine for a mod not being done. That is *simply* inaccurate.
Number one, mike, you act like you don't know what is being talked about even though we've had this conversation a number of times.

The main things I wasn't happy about with the last tag I had was the stab, the grenade explosion and the fact you can't use a pick-up if you are out of ammo. The sprite issue was annoying, not unplayable... but I'd personally rather wait for the sprite fix and make something better. But then, I like having control over every aspect of the mesh, from 2D graphics to 3D models, others seem not to care so much. To each his own.

It was absolutely my choice to not finish my mod until I thought the engine was at a place the plug was the best it could be.

It is now my decision to withdraw these tags (I don't care what anyone says... 2 recons is 1 too many) for the time being. If I were to ever produce any release Myth tags, they will not have anything to do with Santa's immortal creation.

Thanks, have a nice day.
Blades ~FF~

Post by Blades ~FF~ »

Well thats cool then. But the engine is good enough for every other mod made for it... so if you want to do your game on a different engine than I might be able to see your point.

Odd that Ama and Zeph don't have any problem picking things up after running out of ammo. Leads me to believe they may know more about how to make that happen than some.

I don't really know what you're talking about having control over "every aspect of the mesh".... so I can't really understand or speak to that.

I guess if Santa had waited for the Myth II engine to be improved for WW2 then he'd have never completed his either... of course, he could have just found an engine more suitable to his game.... something I suppose you could do as well.

Either way ... it's all good.
khrome

Post by khrome »

so far Idiot's WWII is the first released mod for Myth III after 3 years of release. I don't think history would agree with you about the capabilities of Myth III(especially since a number of mods have had large protions of work done on them).

Not to be litigious, but from your statement it sounds like other mods have been made, which is just not true.
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Whispers in the Dark
Assault on the French Quarter
Axe to Grind
Broken Heart Savious
Home on the Strange
Morte Della Luna
Noxious Chaos
Peices of Hate
A Place to Stand
A Very Idiot XMAS