OSS - How many models, units...

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Taelactin

Post by Taelactin »

I'm creating a coop map 1280 x 1280, however, there are a lot of models (40) and a lot of units show up at a time (200)

What are the chances that this will crash on me just because of these two things? What are the general limits for models and units visible at a time for coop games online?

I WOULD test this out myself, but, I don't want to test it and find out it doesn't work, only to start all over agaig... or jump out the nearest window.

Thanks in advance!
NO MATTAH WHATCHA SAY MAPMAKERS NEVAH DIE THEY JUST RETALIATE WITH TAGS THEN THEY MULTIPLY
Phex

Post by Phex »

According to the Loathing manual, these are the absolute limits (for offline and online maps) for Myth 1.5.0:

* Artifact Types - the old limit per map was 16, the new limit is 128.
* Collections - the old limit per map was 64, the new limit is 256.
* Lightning Types - the old limit per map was 4, the new limit is 16.
* Monster Types - the old limit was 32, the new limit is 64.
* Object Types - the old limit was 64, the new limit is 128.
* Projectile Types - the old limit was 256, the new limit is 1024.
* Projectile Group Types - the old limit was 100, the new limit is 1024.
* Scenery Types - the old limit was 32, the new limit is 96.
* String List Types - the old limit was 128, the new limit is 1024.

The unit limit is always 400 visible units at any time. If you try to make more units, random surplus units will be deleted. As far as I know, more units usually mean a greater chance of OOS but not a greater chance for a crash.
I am not sure about the max. model count, maybe 64.

rgds,
Phex.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

As far as I know, more units usually mean a greater chance of OOS but not a greater chance for a crash.

It would seem that one of the OOS fixes between 1.5.1 and 1.4.0 fixes the "too many units moving on a map" OOS problem. In recent tests using 380+ units, I've not seen a single OOS. At any rate, 200 was always a safe number.

Not sure how many models you can place, but at some point, FPS slow down could become a problem. I doubt there is an OOS issue from too many models though.
Baak

Post by Baak »

A map mod that will be going public soonâ„¢ seemed to hit a limit of 128 wall models that I recall.

This may have changed but what I discovered was that if you hit the limit you simply can't place any more. :)
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

1.5.1 will allow you to place up to 512 models (in theory anyway, though one of my maps currently has 160ish).
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder