New Windows version of Myth. - Now open for beta testing!

Talk about anything here.
Heinzoliger

Post by Heinzoliger »

Melekor wrote:Ok, I see your point about not having to switch windows. How about making it behave that way only when you're not in a game, would that be a good solution?
It would be the perfect solution.
And automaticaly focus on the myth window when a game begins...
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

So Brainbug, did the myth_log reveal anything using the new build or is it just the same as before?

Myrd, can you please reply to my last post about your alt-f4 issue?
capital

Post by capital »

Melekor,

Dled ur windowed version of Myth II...

I like the windowed mode but there's an issue.

Basically, I think it should be left up to user when to minimize myth. As right now it auto minimizes myth if you click outside of myth, which is problematic if you're playing the game in windowed mode and you accidently click outside the app window it auto minimizes, causing you to temporarily lose control of your units and the action... I would like to know if you can have a couple user settings to adjust for this behavior, such as "Always on top" and "Doesn't minimize when loses focus" and of course "minimizes on lose of focus"

These additional modes are really quite useful for the going trend of larger computer monitors and greater resolutions, allowing one to multitask, without having to worry about missing something b/c you have to bring it back into view.

Again, I think giving the user these controls will give greater lattitude for different playing styles and usage patterns.

Thanks,
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Melekor: It does nothing. When in-game, it just does the regular F4 thing (try to turn volume up), while in the main menu, it does nothing. Also, alt-f4 works fine in other programs/games.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

I've uploaded a new build that doesn't minimize when it loses focus. Capital, I like your ideas for the customizable settings, but I'm not going to start adding all kinds of options at the moment. I agree it would be nice, but it's a lot easier if I keep it simple.

When you try the new build, one thing that you will notice is that the sound is automatically muted when the window loses focus. I'm pretty sure this is a limitation of the version of DirectSound used by myth, so we might just have to live with it.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Myrd: Indeed you are correct. After some investigation I found out that what happened was that my windows key disabling fix indirectly prevented alt-f4 from working.

I've uploaded a new build that should fix it :)
capital

Post by capital »

Mel, I played your build further another thing Ive noticed is that making, or access presets (with alt + number) causes a series of bell sounds in rapid succession until you've released your hands from this key combo... anyways... this behaviour wasnt in unwindowed varients, any ideas?

Incidently, if you maximize the window (full screen i guess) the bell noises dont happen when you make or access presets.

Edited By capital on 1117417685
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Thanks Capital. A fix has been uploaded.
Keep the bug reports coming guys! :)
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

I've got something: the scroll wheel doesnt scroll the chat windows in windowed mode.
Orlando the Axe

report number 2: first click to reactivate a window gets interpreted into myth as a command. Typically in other programs it only highlights the window and does not register as a in program click.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

I don't think so Orlando... I just tried some other programs and interpreting the 1st click as a command seems to be standard behavior(for all of the programs I tried). Also, I think implementing the first click detection would be more trouble than it's worth.
Orlando the Axe

I see, I know photoshop doesn't paint when activating a window. It's hard to reactiviate it without moving your selected units... Anywho not a big deal.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Now that I think about it, since fixing the mouse wheel thing will mean overhauling the mouse input code anyways(replacing directinput), the first click detection may be easier under the new system. I'm going to keep it in mind. Thanks Orlando.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Wh00t! New build up.

I ripped out every last bit of directinput code and replaced it with regular win32 stuff. I fixed the mouse wheel and the first click activation thing. Hopefully I haven't introduced any new bugs along the way.(wishfull thinking, I know.) Anyways, check the new build out.
Heinzoliger

Post by Heinzoliger »

I tested it and all run nicely.
Just one think : in windowed mode, my cpu is always (in game or in the lobby) at 100%. I dont know how it is with the regular 1.5.1.
It just prevent me to play with my battery.