Hello - I'm back

Talk about anything here.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Don't know whether anybody on here was around in the days of the VistaCartel forums, but just to say that having had a five year break for RealLifeâ„¢, I was clearing out my Mac at home and rediscovered MythII. A quick search on the net and I came across ProjectMagma so thought I'd pop in and say hello and see if anybody I knew then is still about.

Bubba
lank

Post by lank »

hello, yourself, bubba! :D

well, i have to say that i'm still here, albeit slightly less active due to real life than i have been known to be...

a few old timers from vista are still left. iron's one of the masterminds behind the myth updates over the last couple of years, and while quiet is still going.

i don't know if you remember waa (you might remember his uranian tossers, perhaps ;) ), but he's posted once in a blue moon.

khellek's in the background still scripting, and ghost was still prolific until he went awol the better part of a year ago, alas*.

mauglir has been active until recently. he still posts every so often, but real life has done its thing to him as well.

oogabooga, that mad hax0r that he is, is a member of magma these days too, as is orlando the axe (though i don't remember him being so active on vista, but my memory might just be faulty :) ).

silicondream has been active, but as of november or so he had to take his leave to put his all into his postgraduate studies. if all is going well, he should be nearly finished. haven't heard a peep from him in a while, but i assume he's going well.

true peril is officially retired, but i still see him on hotline occasionally. all too often i fail to respond before he disappears again, so if you're reading this, teeps, "hi!" for all those times i missed you. :)

tj, whom i also don't remember being that active a poster, is recently retired. well, more than a year, i'm sure, but he probably deserves a mention.

a few other folks like ares and clem have been active in recent times, though fun politics and fallings out have in the past created a bit of a rift between magma and others. officially that's history.

as for me, i've been largely inactive (as i said), but not completely so... i'm still at university - should be finished (barring honours) by the end of next year. i've still not finished that siege project that got us talking all those years ago, but i hope that some day i will, even if i have to decipher khellek's script and finish it myself!

anyway, it's nearly midnight and i'm exhausted, with exams coming up in less than a week. i'll be here. :)

fantastic to see you again, even if you're only here to say hello for old time's sake. :)

* alas that he's gone awol, not that he was prolific, just for the record.
*toot*
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Must admit to being pleasently surprised to see the Myth community still bubbling over. Sort of figured that most people, like me, would have moved on to other stuff. And as tempting as it is to throw myself wholeheartedly back into it again, I will probably be an occasional visitor at best.

Also I've forgotten most of what I knew (or at least posted it away in some distant, difficult-to-retrieve-from section of my brain) so feel like a newbie all over again.

Have sent you a pm with my current e-mail address in it.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Ares has been active? Where?
lank

Post by lank »

hmm... actually that may have been longer ago than i thought... (about aresâ„¢) he came back in the heat of the rivalry between us and mythdev/pmnet, which was, admittedly, a fair while ago now.

bubba, i got your pm. i'll email you soon.
*toot*
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I've heard of ares being around, but of course (like 'the others of that group') they go under completely different personas. I've been told that clem plays on PMnet quite often, but you'd never know it was him. Master of personas that guy is...

I had to email ares about something related to TFV script some time back and got an answer within days though..

Good to see some seriously old-timers coming back on the scene to check things out. Bubba.. as in Bubba and Kuba? Who did Under Myrkridian Standards?? If so, you da man, man :)

Great inspiration to me at least :D

If you're at all mildly interested in some 'other' projects going on (other than stuff posted on this site) check out www.thefallensvengeance.com

It's the next 'big one' mb mb :)

Again, welcome back on the scene man. Sorry I wasnt around in the Vista days :(
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

Good to see some old timers poking back in. Your work in UMS was great.

Lank, I was very occassional on the Vista forums and mapmaking in general (still am in fact). Mapmaking was always the hobby while playing (tourneys etc.) is the addiction :cool: .
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Yes, one and the same Bubba who worked on UMS. But credit for UMS should really go to Soma (who you didn't mention) and Kuba - I helped out (and was really pleased to do so) but the bulk of the work was done by them and my contribution was limited at best.

Have had a quick look at TFV (while boss is not looking) - looks good so look forward to downloading it sometime soon.

And hey, old timer?? I'm not quite at retirement age just yet! :D
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Ah yea, Soma did some fookin incredible work on those meshes.. I dont know how involved he was in any scripting, but the first level to UMS has been one of the best inspirations to me for alot of maps for a long time. The construction is beautiful :)
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

Soma did a fair amount of scripting as well.
Baak

Post by Baak »

I recently emailed Soma seeking permission to post an extraction I've done of his excellent Trebuchet unit from his Grilling Grounds map - a map he posted just before The Mill went away. He was very pleased - and extremely surprised - that anyone was still playing, let alone playing on Grilling Grounds. :)

We (the Order of H'Pak) are still going strong, playing regular private weekly matches which will break the 4,000 game mark this coming weekend! We've got 14 Members these days, and several regular Special Guests (including Amadeus aka Capt Trips from ~idiot~ among others).

Real Life has interrupted our development projects at times, but we have several fun and popular (considering the smaller Myth II crowd) plugins posted here (and here) and will be adding a series of new maps and extra plugins soonâ„¢, including the Trebuchets extraction and others.

Basically we're still having a helluva good time playing Myth II, and I for one am looking forward to the Windows version of Amber! :: drool, drool ::

You might get a kick out of my "Rocket Dorf Fest!!" conversion. I know of several people who have gotten back into the game after playing it. Check it out here. I've been working on RDF 5.1 which corrects a tiny bug introduced from Patch 1.5.1 and brings in a new Mondo unit (very fun). I plan to release several maps at the same time RDF 5.1 is released - in the very near future.

Drop me a line if you're ever in the mood to join us as a Special Guest - we're all about fun games (i.e. we don't take things too seriously - you can read about us on our home page: www.orderofhpak.com, see the maps/plugins we play on the Battle Plan and check out our comprehensive Links page)

Very happy to hear from a former Vista member! :D
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Never actually a Vista member - if only! :D Just a regular on their forums. Actually was probably more of a nuisance than anything else. :;):