A couple of questions....

Talk about anything here.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

First one:

Have downloaded and installed 1.5.1 and have been running it under MacOS 10.3.8. Started by watching some of my old saved films from years ago and noticed that wights and thrall are visible when under water (though their dot still disappears off the map). I notice there's now an option to make units visible/invisible in the preferences section. What's the default setting for mutliplayer games? Obviously hiding wights and thrall under water was a major strategy in the past.

Secondly:

Is there anywhere on the net now that is a central resource from which to download plugins? I've lost/deleted most of them over the years and am keen to get back the Civil War and Wild West ones (are they on the third CD from the Total Codex which i've misplaced?) as well as anything done by Creation.

Thirdly:

With the developments of Myth to 1.5.1, have any of the old limits that existed been increased - ie. amount of units, number of models, that sort of thing - or do we still work under the same restrictions?
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

1) The view underwater objects option only allows you to see objects that won't change gameplay, ex: body parts, arrows, scenery etc. The only times you can see a unit underwater are if a) it's not completely submerged (you get reflections and some water transparency, sometimes making for a really really nice effect), or b) in a film when there is no longer a tactical advantage. Objects such as molotov cocktails and satchels etc can not be seen underwater as that would have altered the gameplay significantly

2) We are working on a central repository to succeed the now defunct Mill, it's called the Tain, and has been under development for a long time now. I wouldn't hold breath as there seems to have been one setback after another, but we do hope to eventually finish it. Until that's ready for use, you can get almost everything from the udog/magma hotline server at hl.udogs.net. if you don't have a hotline client, then you can still get all of those files off the web by going to http://hl.udogs.net/files

3)Many limits have been expanded, but not the number of units that can be on the map at once, although some interesting tools have been created to allow for easier generation of new monsters (respawn). For a list of some of the expanded limits, either check the various readmes or hope that someone more knowledgeable replies.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
CIK

Post by CIK »

You should only be able to see your own units under water. So no more blind guessing here you parked that wight.

Almost all the limits as of 1.5.1 have been greatly increased. Check out the Map Making documentation that should have come along with 1.5.1. I believe it was an optional install(I didn't write the installer and haven't used it recently so I'm not sure).

Most 3rd party maps can be found at http://hotline.udogs.net/files....lighter

BTW: It's good to see some old times popping back up.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

That'll teach me for not reading the readme. Discovered the increase in models last night. Shame, though understandable, that the same could not have been done to units. Still, the respawn sounds interesting. Somebody care to explain how that works in mapmaking terms?
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Of course grenades and rpgs won't change gameplay at all if seen underwater.
lank

Post by lank »

the projectile has to be "explosive" or "potentially explosive" or some such to not show underwater (remember the pull-down in the top right which had a bunch of options, but never actually did anything).
*toot*
Horus

Post by Horus »

Bubba wrote:Shame, though understandable, that the same could not have been done to units.
Actually it was since 1.3

Around 400 units visible at any time now, with almost unlimited invisible.

Respawn has a number of functions depending how it's setup. Basically it involves a killed unit coming back to life to fight again (like the Death Match option in Multi, although respawn can be scripted).
lank

Post by lank »

previously there was a maximum of about 4100 markers on a mesh (markers including projectiles, units, scenery items, local projectile groups, observers, ambient sounds and so on), but that has now been doubled to a modest 8200, iirc.
*toot*
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

To expand a touch on Horus' explanation of respawning (having used it several times in TFV scripts)...

It works like DeathMatch in Multiplayer, however units that are marked as 'Respawns' in loathing can be set to 'Respawn at death location' (opposed to their original starting location, which is the default), 'Respawn via script'- allowing the mapmaker to respawn the unit at a given time after it dies, rather than immediately after it dies like deathmatch does, 'Use monster entrance' which.. obviously makes the unit become visible with its entrance group, rather than the standard world knot appearance.

Makes some meshes with 5000+ units easier to script ;)
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

stair of grief needed that