I know - how to make Myth 3 better

Talk about anything here.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

1. Invent a time machine.

2. Go back in time and get our hands on the original character models for TFL.

3. Bring them forward in time and shove them into Myth III.

Voila! Better looking soldiers! And more authentic too!
donjasjit

Post by donjasjit »

The units are important agreed but the most important thing is the gameplay. That is possible only if somehow the graphics of Myth3 could be blended with the gameplay of Myth2 or the original myth.

Like the way the original Myth fallen levels were ported to Myth2 Soulblighter.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

If we wanted a "Myth III: Soulblighter with better graphics", would it really be worth having?
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

well, that's more or less what myth II was; Myth TFL with better graphics, and it was even more popular than TFL, so given the history of the series, I'd be inclined to say yes.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

The Elfoid wrote:If we wanted a "Myth III: Soulblighter with better graphics", would it really be worth having?
Yeah, that's pretty much what I wanted.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Once they get scripting implemented, if there's some crazy enough bastard out there to do it, it could happen. Of course you'd need some new unique unit models... Soulblighter for example..
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Well therein lies my time machine comment. Those old unit models don't exist anymore do they? Even if they did they're probably sitting at the bottom of some Bungie drawer somewhere....

I more or less made the above comment because I just think the troopers look better in TFL - and to see those original kickass models move in the full-on 3D of Myth 3 would be awesome.

My biggest beef with Myth 3 is the sounds. Vocal talent in that game is terrible. But most of the gameplay problems I hate so much have been fixed in that 1.3.1 thing.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
CIK

Post by CIK »

Yes the models still exist....If someone has skillz and wants to do something like this email cik at projectmagma dot net. Don't bother unless you actually have the ability to work with 3d models. If you don't then work on getting the skillz and then emailing. I don't mean to be rude but I have too many things going on and the task of moving the unit models is too important and also freaking hard to do to entertain folks who aren't up to the task.
donjasjit

Post by donjasjit »

Such a project would really take some hard work, it will really be the mother of all projects.

The end result, a game with graphics comparable to modern strategy titles and the lifetime of the myth universe will be extended by some years.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Woah. They do?
I've been meaning to take up 3D (for filmmaking purposes, it's getting to the point where I have to).

Ah well, if I'm ever up to it then I might have to pester you some CIK. 'till then...

... SHAZAM ...

P.S Do you mean TFL models?
P.P.S What kind are they?
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

another FYI Will, at least part of the reason the tfl sprites look better is because they were rendered at a higher resolution giving them more detail, on the other hand, they have fewer frames of animation making their movements look jerkier. Starting from the 3d models, it is entirely possible to make a high resolution sprite with more frames of animation, as Iron has done with some of his units.

Edited By Doobie on 1121109696
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
CIK

Post by CIK »

Actually Iron just used the original frames Bungie had rendered before they just down the rez on them. Only recently did we discover how to actually open up the original models and view them.
CIK

Post by CIK »

The models are mostly from Myth II, but to some degree it's not important they are highly detailed in polygon count, though the textures could have been done by my kids for the most part. It's hard to say exactly what format they are in, but they can be read in by Studio Tools by Alias which can then probably export them to something else. Haven't spent much time with any of it yet.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Thanks for the information Doobie'n'CIK! I like learning about ol' Myth stuff.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Just played M3 multiplayer for the first time (with Cid over TCP/IP). I've got to say, the principle problem with this game is it's SLOWNESS. Our computers run it just fine, the slowness I'm talking about is the way it just doesn't look energetic. The archers don't feel like they're running or at least jogging, they looked bored.

There's a lot of deep seated problems isn't there? I still think (in a perfect world where things complete themselves and no one has to have a headache over it) that old style units ported into 3D would kick bottom.

Here's another problem. The thrall make too much noise.