Mazz 5 - where did it all go wrong?

Talk about anything here.
Archer

Post by Archer »

Myth is a specific story, a specific tale. It is not an amalgamation of all myths, nor should it be. Quite simply, they have no place in the story and devalue other parts of it (Trow and Myrkridia are well-established as being the ancestral terrors of the world of Myth. Beholders, Dragons, and what-have-you showing up more powerful than them just sets an escalation that is, in my opinion, inappropriate).

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
Lord Thanos

Post by Lord Thanos »

I respect that Archer. In fact, I agree now that I consider it further. In my opinion, Myth has always been extroadinarily unique in terms of a sword and sorcery tale. The majority of the creatures within it, (barring dwarves and humans of course), have not appeared in any other tale I have read. Altough fir'bolg could be equated to elves, and forest giants to ents, I consider them both separate from their classic, tolkien counterparts. It is this uniqueness that makes Myth what it is. So when you get beasts from other stories appearing out of nowhere, it detracts from the overall experience, not in terms of gameplay, but in terms of plot and logic.

What I meant to say was that these creatures are appropriate IF they are used correctly. It is within reason that the realms that were created by tolkien, Marg and Tracy, and Ed Greenwood, (Middle-Earth, Albion? and Abeer'Toril respectively) amongst others, would be accessible to summoners in the realm of Myth, if they know how to open gateways such as the ones used by Moagim and Balor to bring forth the Myrkridia and Fetch. Considering this, it is also within reason that the Watcher could summon beings from those realms into the world of Myth.

However, I do not believe that Dragons or Eye Tyrants would ally with Bahl'al. Both races are conceded, arrogant and immensely powerful. It could be argued that the Watcher offered artifacts or knowledge, or perhaps uncontested access to the world of Myth, but even then, I think that they would simply kill Bahl'al and go about their business. Tanar'ri on the other hand would be far more likely to ally with him, as they are always seeking powerful allies and new worlds.

All of that aside, I don't think any of the above have a permanent place in Myth. However, I believe it is appropriate that they make cameo appearances every once in a while, but only under very specific circumstances. The "assassination" of Mazzarin, may indeed have called for powerful allies, so I consider MD to be one of those specific circumstances.
Thanos A.K.A "Ravanosh"
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I must say, for the first time, I'm not gonna reply to every post individually. What I will say is this:

1. fir'Bolg shouldn't be there, but they could be exiles or rebels from the main fir'Bolg tribe or something so I guess it makes sense.
2. The FG should NOT be there, but again, you could work out an excuse easily.
3. It's pretty different. Look at MazzIV. Plays too much like MazzIII for my liking (in style and such), MazzV requires a total tactical rethink. Almost nothing from past versions works the way it did before.
4. It's classic Mazz despite being different to past versions - no ROTD rubbish here.
5. The Paladin adds a lot, as do Mazz's abilities
6. Devetting Mazz when he get stoned sucks, as it does with any unit. Best I can say is it makes it harder.
7. HGH/Mazz team ups are less interesting than before. No longer can you go out alone for ages, you'll get cut off.
8. Nice chance to see Oz's CMap :)
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

::Heavy sigh, shakes head sadly::
Franki

Post by Franki »

Hey! Where can I get films of Mazz 5 coop? I don't mind if it's won or not...
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

You can probably have a copy of me losing terribly if its of any use :)

Lothar want me to host your web-page for you? It won't have any adverts and it'll be faster...
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

One of the continuing complaints I keep hearing about Mazz 5 goes along these lines:

"Mazz is supposed to be the great magician of his time or whatever - but he's got too few spells, lol, omg, wtf 1337" etcetera.

This is usually the biggest indicator of said complainer not knowing what the hell they're talking about. Just last night I saw Gamer (or was it Jagman) on the run on Legendary, and - I couldn't COUNT the spells he was using but they were pretty frigging impressive.
And to blow a bigger hole in that idea - they were numerous. Seriously.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Lord Thanos

Post by Lord Thanos »

Right, well I still think its strange that Mazzarin does not have any innate magical abilities. I realize what he is capable of IF he can acquire the proper "reagents", but I feel that he should have at least one mana powered spell, since both Shiver and the Deceiver have innate magical abilities, (Balor as well), and I never considered either of them to be anywhere near close to Mazzarin in terms of magical prowess.
Thanos A.K.A "Ravanosh"
Industry

Post by Industry »

Only Evil magic users have mana powered spells.
Lord Thanos

Post by Lord Thanos »

Oh? What about Khellek, Djazel, Davin Charlont, Boncuar, Ten Soaring White Eagle, Plesithia, Kerubiel, Kyatalyne, Fenris, Melb, Sedale, the Heron Guards and Berserks from Frenzy, Mazzarin from Frenzy for that matter, or Myrdred before his fall? I always was under the impression that the magic used by Murgen to escape the Tain was innate as well.
Thanos A.K.A "Ravanosh"
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

I think it's a damned stupid argument. He kicks ass, has a dozen spells - if people aren't in a good enough team to survive to use all those spells, then booyah.
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

Considering theres an extremely small pool of good mazz players and that most of them play late U.S nights. Theres pretty much without exception NEVER a good mazz team at Euro friendly times

sucks : (
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
Lord Thanos

Post by Lord Thanos »

I wasn't aware that I was arguing anything. I just was saying that I find it strange is all...no need to go on the defensive, Mazzarin kicks ass regardless, no doubts.
Thanos A.K.A "Ravanosh"
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Hahah, arguing doesn't have to be raised voices or nothing - hence my use of the word 'argument'. But anyway, it's small chips.