I know - how to make Myth 3 better

Talk about anything here.
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

and the wights look like rodney dangerfield.
capital

Post by capital »

Orlando the Axe wrote:and the wights look like rodney dangerfield.
"I get no respect."
Industry

Post by Industry »

Hey CIK, do the models have a .iv extension? From the Postmortem at Gamasutra it says Bungie used Power Animator on a SGI Indigo2 (for the TFL models at least). If they are .iv files I think that you can get the specs from SGI still for their Open Inventor 3d format.
Sav

Post by Sav »

Doobie wrote:well, that's more or less what myth II was; Myth TFL with better graphics, and it was even more popular than TFL, so given the history of the series, I'd be inclined to say yes.

M2 is not just M1 with better graphics. M2 has different, more straightforward gameplay than M1. Duffs are more intuitive, arcs are better. Melee is definitely easier, and not just because a bunch of M1 melee quirks were fixed. But you knew that.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

You're right Sav, TFL was better. M2 made it too easy and straightforward. It was Myth for Dummies (which is why I like vTFL so much).
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

You're completely right sav, it was an oversimplification, what I meant was that m2 was more evolutionary whereas m3 was more revolutionary
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

If Myth 3 was a revolution - does that make me bourgeois? :P
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

Yeah, I myself have been looking into modeling as of late. I think I'm getting a pretty good. And having the original models would be coool.

PS. Shit, sorry, just realised how old this thread is. >_>
Having fun with poser horses and pasted-on Warrior torsos since 1990!™
Unkfolt

Post by Unkfolt »

:) Da Cid (: McCl wrote:Yeah, I myself have been looking into modeling as of late. I think I'm getting a pretty good.
I wanna start modeling too. I'm dead sexy! :;):
"Somewhere something incredible is waiting to be known."
-Carl Sagan
Industry

Post by Industry »

Thrall find you cute?
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I'm surprised at the number of people who said better graphics alone would have been all they needed. I mean, it'd still need the same skill, intelligence, tactical mind, communication/team skills, and knowledge. I think the fact that M3 means you gotta start learning everything all over again keeps it more interesting - New challenge.

I sorta jumped back to my first post there, just realised how mad it sounded at the time...
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Heheh. Well I did say "I know how to make Myth 3 better" not "I know how to fix all of it's problems".

Using older, better looking (and more familiar) models in a new game would've just taken care of the fact that some of the units look sucky.
Gameplay wise, Myth 3 has a long way to go. It just feels so damned slow and boring (in multiplayer at least, I haven't played single player in years).

There's just small things that add up. Take the level Creep for example. I don't know if this is a Myth 3 bug, or if it's just because it's a ported level. But there's this irritating problem where if you have any troops walking in the water, the only sound you can hear is water sloshing. But not just sloshing - it's louder than any sound in the game should be. Louder than a wight blowing up. It's craziness!

To briefly mention using M2 models again...
There would probably be a big problem with this. They aren't exactly optimised for this kind of use, they're a bit too high in the polygon count.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

The port of Bagrada plays much better than the standard solos.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

"You're right Sav, TFL was better. M2 made it too easy and straightforward. It was Myth for Dummies (which is why I like vTFL so much)."

Actually sav never said it was better or worse, that's all just opinion.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Hah! I was wondering when someone would cotton onto that... I really was half kidding. Sure it's just my opinion, but at the end of the day I'm right. :P