So what's been going on? - Development Progress?

Talk about anything here.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

I think it is worth adding that "winding down" doesn't mean Project Magma has lost interest in Myth. We still care about the game very much. I'm pretty sure we easily have the record as the longest continually active group to be doing stuff for Myth (February will make it seven years) and we remain dedicated to seeing our beloved game last for as long as possible.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

ChrisP wrote:From my understanding, Fear's source code doesn't lend itself to being "patched" for OS X. An entirely new tool would have to be created, which is a far greater undertaking.

Elfoid, you're free to post what you know, but it might be better, on these forums at least, when you address a question directed towards Project Magma programmers, that you at least indicate the authority on which you answer. Just in the interest of not spreading incorrect information that someone will consider official, if you know what I mean.
Someone from Magma said it on PlayMyth.net forums, I forget who. It was in a recent thread.
WaaMatt

Post by WaaMatt »

Project Magma has been around for seven years (in Feb '06)???
Waagh!
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

6 years actually

it was 2000 when we first started work on the ports of m2 maps and units to tfl

Edited By Doobie on 1132447073
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Erm... right. February 2000 to February 2006 = 6 years. I need to learn how to count. :P
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

"Bad advice."

Heh no. It might not have worked for you but it worked fine for me. It might be 'advice that you don't like' but it sure as shit isn't 'bad'.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

http://web.archive.org/web/20020121022924/http://projectmagma.net/

That's Jan 2002, best I could find for age. I gotta lose my archive obsession....
Unkfolt

Post by Unkfolt »

WaaMatt wrote:I'm looking forward to that Greek map/unit plugin I saw a little further down on the forum's threads...
Yeah, that plug's gonna kick ass!

☼☼ Anonymous

Oh, damn! I'm logged in.
"Somewhere something incredible is waiting to be known."
-Carl Sagan
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Unkfolt wrote:
WaaMatt wrote:I'm looking forward to that Greek map/unit plugin I saw a little further down on the forum's threads...
Yeah, that plug's gonna kick ass!

☼☼ Anonymous

Oh, damn! I'm logged in.
PR N00b :(

Shoulda paid me to say it.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Ok, so given that no is going to port Fear from OS9 to OSX, and there doesn't seem to be enough interest to add the features to make a OS9 version of Fear 1.5, is there any chance that one of the developers who worked on the Windows version would have any notes or be willing to chat about the features that were added to Fear 1.5 in terms of byte positions and acceptable values?

Feel free to pm or contact me via email - vinylrake @ DIESPAMMERDIEyahoo.com (remove the caps)
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
WaaMatt

Post by WaaMatt »

Apple has a CodeWarrior to Xcode transition article on the ADC site, but I didn't see anything about PowerPlant. Stupid PowerPlant...
Waagh!
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

WaaMatt wrote:Apple has a CodeWarrior to Xcode transition article on the ADC site, but I didn't see anything about PowerPlant. Stupid PowerPlant...

As far as I know, the CodeWarrior to Xcode converter is just a simple AppleScript app. It opens the old project in CodeWarrior, exports an XML file (or something similar) and then reimports it into Xcode. I've had varying levels of success using it.

I think the biggest hurdle, though, is the precompiled headers and frameworks that a program uses. If it was designed from the ground up to use PowerPlant's frameworks, that's where the problems are at. You'd have to use an Apple supplied frameworks that's similar to the Metrowerks one. (And considering XCode is OS X only there would be few, if any, truly 'similar' frameworks.) Then, to make it look even more bleak, you'd have to go through each source code file and convert the program calls from the PowerPlant frameworks to the Apple frameworks. Sound like a lot of work to convert to XCode? Yeah, probably.

But if Fear was written in PowerPlant, it should be relatively easy to convert it to OS X: PowerPlant for OS X However, I am by no means a rough-and-ready programmer with all the answers. Maybe CIK can verify/denounce anything I've said.
WaaMatt

Post by WaaMatt »

I have a version of CodeWarrior that runs in OS X. I think it's 7 Academic Edition. It lets you do PowerPlant. You guys want it?
Waagh!
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

I've written 3 small apps to give you some of the 1.5 features in Mac OSX. go here and check out ArtiXb5, MonsMorale and Mons Inventory. Between the 3 you can impliment Inventory, Morale and The new Artifact Features.
WaaMatt

Post by WaaMatt »

Thanks, TZ.
Waagh!