Should Magma make more updates?

Talk about anything here.

Should Magma make more updates?

Yes, I have a 11 page feature request list typed and ready to post.
44%
Yes, if Myth stagnates it'll die sooner rather than later.
22%
Depends on what new features would be added, but I guess so.
24%
Only if I don't have to know about it until it's finished.
2%
Oh God, where's my 1.3.2 disc.
7%

Total votes: 41

Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Myth II uses a modified TFL engine which in turn uses a modified Marathon 2 engine correct?

Not quite. The Myth and Marathon engines are very different. Yes, they share some minimal code, mostly low-level things like sound code and basic linear algebra functions, but the core engine is very different.

This can actually be seen in DoD, shoot something with the mortar's splash shell...dunno how it was done though

What you're seeing is a new feature that was made available in Myth II 1.5 called "propulsion". This is all new code created by Iron for mapmakers to enjoy, and not anything coming from any Marathon code.

PS: Sorry, I accidently editted your post, thinking I was replying and quoting it - but I think I've restored it to what it was before I accidently editted it. Sorry about that.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Not quite. The Myth and Marathon engines are very different. Yes, they share some minimal code, mostly low-level things like sound code and basic linear algebra functions, but the core engine is very different.

Myrd ~Knows all

Post by »

Myrd wrote:
Myth II uses a modified TFL engine which in turn uses a modified Marathon 2 engine correct?

This can actually be seen in DoD, shoot something with the mortar's splash shell...dunno how it was done though

What you're seeing is a new feature that was made available in Myth II 1.5 called "propulsion". This is all new code created by Iron for mapmakers to enjoy, and not anything coming from any Marathon code.

PS: Sorry, I accidently editted your post, thinking I was replying and quoting it - but I think I've restored it to what it was before I accidently editted it. Sorry about that.

Oh ok, I get it now, but still some of this suggested features can be used now can't they?
And don't worry 'bout editing the post, its so long that I can't remember exactly what I wrote anyway. The basic idea is still there. Good enough. :D

EDIT:
Thought of another thing, what about high-res sprites for Myth II (or TFL)? Like as an optional thing to download?
Vidmaster's Oath:
I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my ‘run’ key, and to never, ever, leave a single Bob alive.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

I definitely think that an optional patch to make the units higher res would be fantastic. The M2 ones are just so chincy.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Baak

Post by Baak »

I definitely think that an optional patch to make the units higher res would be fantastic. The M2 ones are just so chincy.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I've never had any problems with the look of the units in M2.

Except maybe for Alric's "funny walk"...

M2 Dwarves beat the heck out of the "holding a hard-boiled egg betwixt thine cheeks" ones from M3 too... :;):

Post by »

Baak wrote:
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I've never had any problems with the look of the units in M2.

Except maybe for Alric's "funny walk"...

M2 Dwarves beat the heck out of the "holding a hard-boiled egg betwixt thine cheeks" ones from M3 too... :;):
Nothing wrong with the way the units are right now, I just thought some 32-bit sprites would kick major ass. You don't have to change the animations, just make them higher quality...maybe make 3 sets, 256x256, 512x512, and 1024x1024 so people who don't have high-end systems can still have better looking units.
Vidmaster's Oath:
I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my ‘run’ key, and to never, ever, leave a single Bob alive.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I think current M2 units ARE fine to use, but that's not to say high-res wouldn't be even better. Best example: Load up Chimear and compare Fenris with the original units. No comparison.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

"Load up Chimear and 'compare' Fenris with the original units. No 'comparison'."

Watch out folks, Oxymoron Crossing. (I'm going to make a sign out of that I think). :D

Heya Baak - I wasn't actually picking on the unit sprites, I was picking on the fact that they're miserably downsized for no adequate reason. TFL sized bitmaps + M2 lots of frames per animation = great stuff.

Though you know, I can't see a significant improvement from TFL Duff to M2 one. I mean... they actually look pretty similar when I line 'em up. Do you mean their walking animation was better 2nd time around or something?
CIK

Post by CIK »

Check out http://projectmagma.net/frenzy.html and look at some of the units in there. It contains a couple of units redone in hi-rez. Also download and fire up TFL 1.5 and compare it with M2 and you will see the difference. That is unless you normally play in 640x480 or something like that.
Baak

Post by Baak »

Heya Baak - I wasn't actually picking on the unit sprites, I was picking on the fact that they're miserably downsized for no adequate reason. TFL sized bitmaps + M2 lots of frames per animation = great stuff.

Ah... My mistake. :)

Though you know, I can't see a significant improvement from TFL Duff to M2 one. I mean... they actually look pretty similar when I line 'em up. Do you mean their walking animation was better 2nd time around or something?

I was actually referring to the bizarre M3 Dorf "walk" - personally I prefer the M2 Dorf look to the TFL one, but I'm sure those with a solid TFL background probably think the M2 one looks odd in its own way.

I'd be up for the hi-res units, as long as you could play with the existing M2 units as they are if you wish (i.e. make it optional - perhaps a plugin, etc.).

I'd definitely be more interested in many of the non-gameplay-adjusting changes we've listed here before the hi-res units though. ;)
Archer

Post by Archer »

Feature request list, wacky subset: Archers that do more damage by running and punching rather than just punching.

And then get teleported into space by a rogue AI.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

GAH I hate the way the M3 dwarf walks. Most of the vocal talent in that game can go to hell as well, I wouldn't mind putting all of the Bungie sounds into it so I won't have to hear all the crap that's in at the moment.
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

Make F10 work betterer.

Make flavours changable (in game, like names are)

Make names character limit higher (when changing it in game)

Make me a Halo tagset so I don't have to?

Oh, and this is a big leap which I don't expect you to even think about doing (obviously, it's basically impossible):
Make it so you can draw on the colour map in game (like the overhead, but on the actual mesh). See? I told you it was impossible.

-TGP-
Having fun with poser horses and pasted-on Warrior torsos since 1990!™
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

"Make it so you can draw on the colour map in game (like the overhead, but on the actual mesh). See? I told you it was impossible."

DUDE! That was one of my requests for 1.4. Seriously, a great idea though and totally *not* impossible. If Loathing can do it (terrain map painting) then Myth can do it, end of story. Sure no one wants the feature, but I reckon it'd be doable, I'd love it if it worked like that - and heck you can always just have an option to keep it turned orf.

"Make me a Halo tagset so I don't have to?"
I thought you had like, Halo models for Anim8or? Where the hell is my tagset you BUNGLER?
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

Drawing on the map would be sweet :)