8%
In the foothills at the Northern end of the Cloudspine
42%
Somewhere else
33%

Total votes: 12

Industry

Post by Industry »

What region do you think the Berserks come from in Myth? Or is this already common knowledge?
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Not sure. I've heard Gower and Avernus bandied about, and it seems to make the most sense.
The Twelve Duns has also been mentioned as a berserk homeland but if you ask me it's bunk. It'd make sense as a point of origin for their culture, but I don't see them staying there with the Trow living so close.

As 'northmen' you could believably claim that they come from any of those places. They're all north!
Then there's that GURPS Myth book. I suppose that might answer the question, but you can't be sure if it'd be artistic license or something that actually came from BUNGiE notes.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Anywhere they can catch haggis
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Damn your eyes!
kickenwing

Post by kickenwing »

Smell that?
Horus

Post by Horus »

I'm more in preference to think that they come from the Twelve Duns/Gower region.

Mostly due to the M2 Ghost Flavour text

"In honor of their heroism, Connacht allowed the men of the North who had been slain defending Llancarfan to be buried in the Mausoleum of Clovis - the Royal Crypt of the Cath Bruig."

-Berserk Ghost Flavor Text, Myth II

Seeing as at that time Connacht was situated in Muirthemne, and they still refer to the Berserks being men of the North, it kinda implies the Gower/Twelve Duns area.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Anywhere that is not South!
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Hey wait a minute, why isn't Avernus or Gower included in the poll? It should be in there at the exclusion of the more ambiguous choices like 'slightly-to-the-north-of-the-Cloudspine-but-almost-east-of-x-location....'

:D
Industry

Post by Industry »

Cause I always figured the Myth map like--bad guys on the right, good guys on the left. Huh, kinda how I feel about U.S. politics these days...

Anyways since the Berserks are clearly (crazy) good guys, there's no way they could still be in the Gower or Avernus or anywhere East of the Cloudspine. It would be a tactical error for Balor to have left the Berserks in his rear and then cross Cloudspine to crush the west. He had the Ghols clear out the dwarves for him, he found someway to keep the Forest Giants from helping (my guess would be the threat of fire.)

And the names would be less ambiguous if the Bungie map was more descriptive. So I am officially naming the region at the northern most part of the Cloudspine: The Highlands. And I think that's where I'm putting the core of the Berserks. And that they and the culture that became the Myrmidons had a common cultural ancestry in the Gower. In fact the 'encroachment' of the Berserks in the Highlands into the Northern reaches of The Ermine could be the cause of the Human/Fir Bolg war(s?). And that would explain why my Fir Bolg in TFL seem to 'accidentally' hit the my Serks more that any of my other units. "DAMN your eyes!"

Hmm. This means that the Northern end of the Cloudspine has to have some geographical feature that makes it impassible too. Otherwise Balor could have just walked his armies around the Cloudspine instead of through the passes. Oh. And the Berserker pilgrimage through the northern most pass could have been so harrowing (even for Berserks) that that is why its named the Stair of Grief.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Tactical error it may have been for Balor to leave them there but here's the thing - it may have been impossible for him to expand his influence in that direction. The Roman Empire got only so far into Britain before they hit a certain area of Scotland where it was just too vicious and unforgiving for them to continue - and there they stopped.
Of course, Scotland has never been a mighty enough nation (even in those days before it was even called Scotland) to take advantage of this, and I see the same situation with the berserks. Balor left them there because they weren't influential or powerful enough to make him pay for it.
Besides, they'd presumably be busy enough with the Trow (whom Balor just freed from their prison under their ruined cities) and the Myrmidons.

And also, maybe they don't 'live' in Avernus/Gower, for arguments sake - but I thought perhaps the term 'homeland' meant where they originated, not necessarily where they stayed.

Cheers!

*EDIT* "And the Berserker pilgrimage through the northern most pass could have been so harrowing (even for Berserks) that that is why its named the Stair of Grief. "

Yeah - I actually really like this idea. A SHITLOAD MORE than I like the pissweak excuse they made in Myth 3.
In Myth 3, they say it's called Stair of Grief because Emperor Leitrim died there. Thing is, I felt absolutely no grief whatsoever when that guy got 86'd. To be honest, the vocal talent in that game (and it's cutscenes) was so awful, I was pretty much cheering everytime something bad happened to one of the characters.
Sardonac

Post by Sardonac »

it clearly shows in the 2rd game that zerks come from the nation of gower, wigh is to the east, near the boarder
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

maybe they lived in Gower before the great war. then it got blown up by balor and the berserks "travel" around the cloudspine. just a guess :roll: :roll:
Click on the picture below for my Myth 2 scenario.