I used to like Apple. - Now I don't. Observe!

Talk about anything here.
Archer

Post by Archer »

William Wallet wrote:I seriously don't recall seeing any real options or anything. Heck there wasn't even a choice to include developer stuff (I wouldn't have picked it anyway, but I noticed the lack of this option).
Now that I think about it, isn't that on a seperate disc? Oh well.
I can always install again (not that it'd achieve anything) but I dunno.
DevTools are on the same disc (at least in the DVD distribution, which is all there is unless you send away for a CD version), but you install them after OS X.
Heh, you've done it 50 times and you still can't get it right?

I know you're joking, but I want to clarify for the benefit of the onlookers: during my ADC membership, I got about a disc per month and a half with a new beta build of OS X on it, sometimes with other downloadable versions along the way. Every one of those got its own install—Apple does not (for good reason) try to support upgrading from one beta build to another. Nothing about the installs were mandated (say, by a non-functional system) save the fact that the previous install had become obsolete.
Just jokes, look - if it all works in your experience then good for you. But my first touch of OSX has left me a little burned to be honest - it seems to run a little faster (which I'm used to, being an OS9 user anyway) and there are some user interface things that I dig, but on the whole it feels homogenised.

I can see that. First time I used OS X, I absolutely loathed it. Booted right back into OS 9 and stayed there for four months. Of course, it didn't help that OS X was brand new at the time and just about anything I wanted to run was running in Classic anyway—I didn't gain anything by going OS X. Eventually, though, the technical superiority became more compelling than the unfamiliarity. How extensively have you used OS X, out of interest?

I reckon, as much as 10.4 is giving me the redarse, we may have to stick with it - but now pursue some way of getting some of that 3GB back. I mean it still seems a much of a muchness there.

The low-hanging fruit, as I mentioned, is /Library/Printers . Some other things, like the Garageband Demo Songs (and indeed, Garageband itself if you don't use it) are also good places to start. If you really want to get into the thick of things, you can remove program internationalizations by control-clicking on an application, selecting "View Package Contents", then opening the "Resources" folder in the Contents folder in the resulting window. You'll find a bunch of folders with endings ".lproj"—feel free to trash anything for languages you won't be using the programs in.

And I don't care how stable, fashionable, useful, whatever 10.4 is... I can't see any of this justifying the removal of Quick Time Pro and the installation of a crippled version of Quick Time 7. I am unimpressed.

While Quicktime 7 requires reregistration, there is a download available to revert to Quicktime 6 for those who want to keep Pro and not shell out again. I agree they should have handled it better (like making the upgrade one of the optional parts of the install), but given how much they redid the codebase I can understand it being a paid upgrade.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

"Really there is no one here to blame except cid."

Now THAT I can sing along with!

"How extensively have you used OS X, out of interest?"

Funnily enough, I never used to touch it because most of the applications I used were in OS9 and weren't Classic friendly. As time goes on there's more things I use in OSX... nowadays I mostly use OSX.

"The low-hanging fruit, as I mentioned, is /Library/Printers . Some other things, like the Garageband Demo Songs (and indeed, Garageband itself if you don't use it) are also good places to start. If you really want to get into the thick of things, you can remove program internationalizations by control-clicking on an application, selecting "View Package Contents", then opening the "Resources" folder in the Contents folder in the resulting window. You'll find a bunch of folders with endings ".lproj"—feel free to trash anything for languages you won't be using the programs in."

Aye. Thanks for the headsup!

"While Quicktime 7 requires reregistration, there is a download available to revert to Quicktime 6 for those who want to keep Pro and not shell out again. I agree they should have handled it better (like making the upgrade one of the optional parts of the install), but given how much they redid the codebase I can understand it being a paid upgrade."

Aye I'll have to look into it.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em

Post by »

If I were you I'd backup all the stuff you want to keep onto an external HD or CDs or something (Remember to backup your OS 9 System folder and apps too!)...then, completely wipe the HD, yes, mindwipe the poor sucker out of existence. Now, when you reinstall, don't put 10.2.8 back on, I used to use that as well. I recently updated to 10.3.9 about 5 months ago. Yes, 10.2 was great, it was pretty stable, and I loved the hell out of it. But, 10.3 is definitely faster. The code for OpenGL graphics is written better (or something along those lines, I tend to try and keep things simple rather than getting all technical about it...) so it runs games, graphic apps, etc. better than 10.2, its also been more...uh...streamlined (I guess...) and it runs faster (From what I've noticed at least.) There's no major interface changes (except for Expose...shudder...bleh...luckily you can turn that off...) Plus, most apps are coming out for 10.3 or above, so I started getting left behind.
Anyway...as for installing it, make a 3-4 gig partition...then install OS X on that partition and make that your boot disk. OS X seems to run better if it has its own happy little stuck up corner of the HD to jack off in...also...after you install anything above 10.2, you can't boot into OS 9...yeah it sucks, but its actually not that bad. Remember the OS 9 system folder you backed up? Put it in the HD and bam, you can use Classic again. If you somehow get it to boot in OS 9...you won't be able to get it to boot back into X...my step-dad had that problem, he had to do a total reinstall...so yeah, don't try it.

Sorry if most of this is rehash of what's been posted, I couldn't remember any specifics that hadn't been mentioned, so I just did a basic rundown of some of the things I know. Hope it helps. If I think of something I forgot, I'll post it...

Regards,
PK
Vidmaster's Oath:
I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my ‘run’ key, and to never, ever, leave a single Bob alive.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Heh, don't imagine I haven't contemplated just wiping the thing, But it's not my computer and might be a little, *distruptive* to Cid's game plan.

Post by »

William Wallet wrote:Heh, don't imagine I haven't contemplated just wiping the thing, But it's not my computer and might be a little, *distruptive* to Cid's game plan.
Even if you backup all the stuff Cid wants to keep?
Vidmaster's Oath:
I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my ‘run’ key, and to never, ever, leave a single Bob alive.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Oh aye it's doable, but he won't thank me when he has to sift through DVDs to find his stuff.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

I dunno wallet...I have always thought of Cid as being into that sort of thing. In fact. I say you take it the extra mile: Floppy disks. When he realizes OS X doesnt come standard with drivers for built in Floppy drives (DAMN YOU BEIGE G3 NOW G4 WITH SONNET 500 MHZ ZIF CARD), he will only thank you when the process is over. It builds character they say...

-DA
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

He can use the massive piles of floppies to prop up his poor arguments.

Hey you DA, what'd you think of Dennis Quaid's interview? was it everything you thought it wouldn't be?? :P
Personally not happy with the thing, but oh well.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

I thought it was great. It was nice and random, just where I like that sort of thing. A little slow at times, but for the most part, funny.

-DA
Blessed

Post by Blessed »

I love OSX. 10.4 runs great on my imac g5 2.0ghz 20" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
except for when it crashed when my wife turned it off using the power button last month and i had to erase the hard drive and reinstall 10.4. at least i was able to transfer all of the files to my powerbook using it as a firewire drive before the reinstall.
make something idiot proof and they will just make a better idiot
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Can I just say I love your computer.
capital

Post by capital »

Blessed wrote:.
v54