how did I get FW'd out of nowhere? - can't host myth...

Talk about anything here.
Welly

Post by Welly »

We changed our DSL modem to an apparently better one, and now I can't host Myth games. EGADS

I called my ISP (Verizon) and they showed me there isn't anything on their side that's causing this. I don't have any firewall stuff on my computer, either.

I went to Port Check thing on pm.com and it says:
Success (0)
Possible reasons:
Your firewall blocking port 3453. Check your firewall settings, or router Port Forwarding settings.
Your are not hosting a game. Open a host on the server and try again.

Guys, why does God hate me?

I'm on an eMac with 10.3.9. thanks for any help!

[PS if someone knows where I can find out info for a 4-armed fetch unit collection I've tracked down, plz let me know..]

Post by »

Do you have a router?
Go check, I'll wait...
*waits*
Okay, now, if you have a router, check to see what its IP is...there are two ways to do thing.
1) look at the instructions that came with it
2) go to System Preferences>Network>Ethernet (or wireless)>TCP/IP>look at the item called "Router". While you're there, write down your computers IP address as well.

It should show an IP of some kind.
Type this into your web browser and a thingy asking for a login name and password should appear...which you know right? The default login/pass is usually admin/admin, unless your parents changed it or something.
Now, look for port forwarding, or something about forwarding IPs...
Now, forward port 3453 to your computer's IP...
Save the settings and you're set.

Also, one last thing, go to System Preferences>Sharing>Firewall and make sure it isn't on.
Vidmaster's Oath:
I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my ‘run’ key, and to never, ever, leave a single Bob alive.
Welly

Post by Welly »

This is the best help I've gotten so far.. I'm close, and have followed everything you've mentioned but I'm stuck on 1 part: I can't find anything like "port forwarding" or "forwarding IPs".

Here is a list of things I did find (I am equally terrified and confused by all of them):

VC Configuration
DNS Configuration
DHCP Configuration
Private LAN Configuration
Public LAN Configuration
Detectt WAN Configuration
Single Static IP Configuration (this says, among other things, "Single Static IP is currently disabled.")
Service Configuration
Firewall Configuration
ATM Loop backs

What next... any ideas?

Post by »

Check firewall configuration and Public LAN configuration for me will you? Or better yet, post some screenshots.
Vidmaster's Oath:
I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my ‘run’ key, and to never, ever, leave a single Bob alive.
Welly

Post by Welly »

<pirateking> wrote:Check firewall configuration and Public LAN configuration for me will you? Or better yet, post some screenshots.
I can't post screenshots because it would take about an hour to get all the screens made. But here are the ones you asked about...

Public LAN has the following two checkboxes:

Public LAN DHCP Server Enable (-)
Public LAN Enable (-)

Will checking the box for one of these help?

In the other one, Firewall Config, I can make it custom and it says
User Defined Firewall Rules: inBound and Outbound.

then there is literally a giant text box for me to define rules for inbound or outbound, whichever I select. which scares me because I haven't the slightest idea what to put. I really wanna just type "let me play myth you tool computer". Any better advice, lol?

Post by »

Okay, in the "inbound" and "outbound" sections, put the port 3453 in there. If there's a help button or something, make sure that it isn't BLOCKING that port if you put it in there. If you can though, please get me a screenshot of the firewall options. I might be able to help you more.
Vidmaster's Oath:
Welly

Post by Welly »

Thanks man; drop me a PM with your email, I'll send the .PDF of the firewall options.

Until then, how do I "put" that port in there? Do I just type "3453" into the text box? something tells me the language for doing that is more complex, and I it seems stuff like this depends on exact lettering, wording, spacing, etc.

yarrg this is annoying!