Is the Myth Community Dead?

Talk about anything here.
Galatone

Post by Galatone »

Sorry that last post was accidental....anyway I've been a pretty enthusiastic Myth Fan for the better part of 10 years, through the rise and fall of essential community resources like the mill and Creation. Certainly the loss of those two in particular struck a blow to the myth community. Not to mention the long ago end of Bungie.net. Since Creation went under I've tuned in and out only periodically to the myth community. Though, Magma's work over the last few years seems to have rekindled some hope and interest within the community it seems that once again things are dieing down. Anyone have any opinions or ideas pertaining to the current status of the myth world?

Just curious

--Galatone--
capital

Post by capital »

Guest wrote:I've been a pretty enthusiastic Myth Fan for the better part of 10 years,
Yes, myth is dead, if it is ten years old.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

"essential community resources like the mill and Creation."

Well... the Mill, I found essential only in that it had content to go with plugins, like reviews. There's always been alternative places to get plugins - none as comprehensive perhaps, but there you have it.

And Creation weren't really an essential community resource, they were prolific and creative mapmakers. Technically, I'd say they've been surpassed (by Vista and Magma, and of course with MythDev and all those who have made updates like 1.4 and 1.5).

"Certainly the loss of those two in particular struck a blow to the myth community."

Weeelll... I got here a little late to notice the effect of Creation quitting. But apart from a lot of hot air being blown about, I don't remember much about the Mill being closed down.

'Not to mention the long ago end of Bungie.net."

Now that's one thing I can lament, even though once again I wasn't around at the time.

Myth is only dead if we stop playing it. I've been figuring it as dead for a while, but I learnt my lesson when I started playing regularly with the Myth Jumpers. They made it fun again.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Galatone

Post by Galatone »

"There's always been alternative places to get plugins - none as comprehensive perhaps, but there you have it."

True enough.....the only problem with plugins now though is that they're all over the place, Bushido on one site a sprinkling of WW2 ones on another, with the mill they were all in one place, reviewed, rated, easy to download.
"I see" said the Blind Man
capital

Post by capital »

Galatone wrote:all in one place, , easy to download.
uh... uh...
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

the Mill was a very interesting alternative and something quite unique for a game. Usually there's no "official" place to post plugins these days...

My view on Creations was more like a very prolific mapmaking group with medium quality map. Sure, the cmaps were all pretty but the gameplay was the suck most of the time.. They made quite a few very good tourney maps though and their TC were for most of their part, pretty nice.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

At least the Myth Community is not so dead that there is no place to ask the question.

Regarding the mill: Other than a well organized, centralized location to download maps and plugins from, what the mill provided to the community was many-fold. The same place you downloaded your maps from, was where new maps were publicized, where you could read descriptions of the maps, reviews of the maps, find tutorials about mapmaking and talk about mapmaking, tournaments, or whatever in many forums. Good replacements for many *pieces* of the mill exist now - PlayMyth does a good job publicizing new maps and tournaments, magma has stepped up to the plate and acts as mapmaking cental with it's forums, playmyth and mythforums have a bunch of forums and udogs,playmyth,myth addicts,mythforums, & the package (among others) have collections of maps for download. And in blatant self-promotion mode, the Myth Graveyard hosts a lot of the old MapMaking tutorials and how-tos.

[And of course Mariusnet, and then Playmyth have kept the community alive by hosting bungie.net replacement game servers]

Even with all the great sites and resources around right now, what is missing imo, is a centralized hub for the myth community - the one-stop-shopping for all things myth.

This is not a disparagement of any of the current myth sites or the hard work that everyone puts into these site to make them useful to the community, just an observation that most of the "What was so great about the Mill?" posts and reponses seem to target slices of what the Mill provided instead of looking at the big picture.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Galatone

Post by Galatone »

Zeph wrote:My view on Creations was more like a very prolific mapmaking group with medium quality map. Sure, the cmaps were all pretty but the gameplay was the suck most of the time.. They made quite a few very good tourney maps though and their TC were for most of their part, pretty nice.
Creation did do some really nice Total Conversions, better than anyone elses in my opinion. TC's are great in that they really tap into different layers of strategy gameplay in the Myth Universe. Plus I've always enjoyed the new units. I think Creation really had it down, granted the gameplay quality varied a bit in some of their maps.....I dunno though their maps are still my favorites. I mean it doesn't get any better than Bushido. And despite some minor downers I think the Seventh God was a great TC.
"I see" said the Blind Man
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

I think old people or pesimists look back and wonder.
Yeah, the mill was great.
yeah, creation did some great maps.

Sure, some people are not around anymore, what can you expect from a 7 or 8 year old game.
Still we have a great community going on, one full of enthusiastic ideas and creativity.
Just check the post about new updates for myth.
That didn't happen in the mill days.

Let's not cry for what's not around anymore, we've got a really nice gig going on, and I don't see why we should look back, instead let's enjoy the present and look forward to more mything, being here, there or wherever.
Admit it folks, the game is still alive.
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I know Myth III's not as important to community survival, but its worth noting Clem did a bit more work after Creation died, and he's the most important guy in Creation.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

" he's the most important guy in Creation. "

Maybe he had some sort of creative drive behind-the-scenes I didn't know about... but if you ask me, the lasting appeal in the big Creation plugins lay in Cydonian's amazing unitmaking. He made some kickarse units, I pretty much rank him and IronDuke at the top of that particular field.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

carlinho wrote:I think old people or pesimists look back and wonder....
Let's not cry for what's not around anymore, we've got a really nice gig going on, and I don't see why we should look back, instead let's enjoy the present and look forward to more mything, being here, there or wherever.
Admit it folks, the game is still alive.

I don't think any of the "old people or pessimists" here have been looking back and crying - To me it sounds more like just remembering good things.

Identifying what was, doesn't take away from what is, but being ignorant of or refusing to learn from the past is not going to improve the present either (unless "Ignorance is Bliss" is one's guiding philosophy in life).

For me, remembering the busier days of the Myth Community is a good thing, if I weren't "old" enough to remember the myth articles, how-tos, and sites from the "old days" I wouldn't have even known that there was good information that was dissapearing which was worth saving. That remembering was the catalyst for searching out lost or hard to find information. I wouldn't have looked if I hadn't known it existed.

I enjoyed the Myth community in a more hectic time, and I still enjoy it today. Although sometimes the present feels a bit like the relaxed morning after cigarette after a great night of sex, I think that as long as Mac and PC operating systems can run Myth there will be some of us playing Myth. (I'll be around long after the OSes stop supporting it - my plan is to keep at least 2 functioning Myth-compatible computers in my posession at all times)
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

William Wallet wrote:" he's the most important guy in Creation. "

Maybe he had some sort of creative drive behind-the-scenes I didn't know about... but if you ask me, the lasting appeal in the big Creation plugins lay in Cydonian's amazing unitmaking. He made some kickarse units, I pretty much rank him and IronDuke at the top of that particular field.

Funny how any discussion of the Mill turns into a conversation about Clem.

As to "who was most important?" that's a fool's argument at best because it's purely subjective opinion. If you want to clarify what is meant by "most important" you could have a reasonable discussion - e.g. Who worked on the most maps, whose ideas were translated into the most projects, who did the most work (timewise) for the Creation Games collective, or other any other criteria you want to use - but still, unless one were actually an active part of Creation Games one would be merely blowing figurative smoke out one's ass. I would guess that even if the criteria for "most important person in Creation Games" were more clearly spelled out, that different people who were part of Creation Games might have different opinions on the matter.
ozone

Post by ozone »

Clem was the leader of creation. He brought focus to the group. That was his main importance to creation games but without people like cydonian(units), ares(scripting) and silicon dream (effects) his importance/leadership skills mean nothing. You need people that want to follow your lead and people that believe in your vision if you are to be a true leader. Clem found those people.

In creation everyone knew their role and did all they could to make good quality plug-ins for the myth community but without clem bringing it all together creation would have never happened.

In fact not only was clem important to creation but to myth in general. When we all look back in a few years..clems name and legacy within the myth community will be one of the few alot of us remember. He did alot for the myth community...

ozone

PS. YES its ME saying all this. I mean sure clem and I never got along but that doesnt take away clems importance in myths life cycle...

Edited By ozone on 1137692828
do it.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

ozone wrote:PS. YES its ME saying all this. I mean sure clem and I never got along but that doesnt take away clems importance in myths life cycle...
Or his importance in Hardy's Return of The Native. Er...wait. That was Clym. Whatever, it's close.

-DA