New Stuff - Read this

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
cuzog

Post by cuzog »

Graydon wrote:I agree with your suggestions cuzog. They're not fine tuned yet, that's for certain. However, the black outline, i htink, will look rather good once it's not on a stark white background. The edge _does_ taper, but its harder to see, since you get all shades of the black, when its on a white background. If it were in your dock though, those tapered edges wouldnt necessarily be black in tint any more.
I agree that my hammers could be a touch bigger, however if you look at the original icons, my hammers are about correct in scaling.

Also, I have a feeling taskman might do graphic work professionaly ? I'm not sure. For the record: I dont. (Yet.)

Godz: Was your description of more beveled sides to me, or to taskman? Or both?
Right, on other backgrounds the darker outline would look ok, but I think that, in the Finder, you will most commonly find the icons on white. I think even just a bit smaller radius would make it work better at full 128px. When scaled down, obviously the edges would be more transparent since the pixels will be interpolated. I think the other Myth document icons still work well with fainter outlines when scaled down though. In the end, this effect is trying to simulate light cast on a 3D object, only a harsh spotlight could create a shadow as prominent as this. I think with this kind of thing its best to look to other mainstream icons in your applications folder to see how strong their shadows are. In theory, all icons in the finder should be cast under the same kind of light. Apple even has design guidelines on this.

When you compare with the original icons, the metal part of the hammer is smaller and the handle is thinner, but the length of the whole hammer is just right. So as a result, the handle in this one is longer than in the old icon. What really matters though is that you can still clearly see the hammer when scaled down to 32px.

For a non-professional graphic designer you do good work. Thumbs up! :)
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

No, I was reffering to Taskman's.

Graydon, THOSE ICONS ARE PERFECT! THEY ARE SIMILAR ENOUGH TO THE OS 9 ONES, YET HAVE A CLEAN AND CRISP NEW FEEL.

If we don't use Gray's theres gonna be hell to pay.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

P.S. Graydon can you send me or post those icons? Pwease? :-)
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Interesting note.... Browsing from school, MY images seem to look quite different than the ones displayed in safari at home. That black line is really pronounced like cuzog said on this end. Interesting how different monitor palettes will skew images so much.

Thanks for the praise Godz. :)
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I like yours too, Gray. I agree, I think we can have a vote for whose icons to use (and we can encourage new submissions). And obviously, the person who gets the most votes will have his icons used, and gets a line in the about screen.

Gray, I think your icons are great, especially the Fear one. Though, I think the original ones had a smaller parchment (or the hammer sticking out more), and I think you should change your too look more like the original ones. Also, perhaps make the background lighter behind SB on the Fear icon.
cuzog

Post by cuzog »

I like how we are all getting in the spirit of this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again--icons need contrast! :D When showing us progress on this, it would be really helpful to see the same icons at 32px also in order to get an idea of what it will look like in OS9 and in our docks.

Thanks guys!
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Yea. The soulblighter background on the original Fear isnt really parchment, its stone. Perhaps I should go ahead with that feel and just change the texture altogether.

More tweakage will indeed occur. Maybe multiple icons could be included with the final release (just folders with the icons attached to them, so you can pick and choose), then everyone is happy? : shrug :
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

So far I'm just working on them in photoshop, so those are the actual document sizes. Im kind of a noob at making icon files.. Tried it once without much success. When I've got something I like I'll have someone niftyfize it.
GizmoHB

Post by GizmoHB »

hmmm icon contest, fun, I already made some fear and loathing icons back when the beta of loathing for OSX came out, they were the original icons but osx style I guess, much like the ones other ppl have been posting here)

http://www.simplygiz.com/files/fearloathing.jpg

they're in my folder on udogs hl...somewhere...in case anybody wants to use em, including psd and ai files

but I guess ill do some new ones, just for fun

Giz

Edited By GizmoHB on 1138670849
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

Mine will be lame, but I'll post 'em here when I'm finished.

-TGP-
Having fun with poser horses and pasted-on Warrior torsos since 1990!™
ShadeOfWar

Post by ShadeOfWar »

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>Ok some non-icon issues.</span>

Running OS X 1.3 on an IBook G4...

1. The New Tag and Duplicate commands don't work. When I try either one, the cursor switches to the busy animation and stays as such until I force quit Fear.

2. In the artifact tag, the Expiry Time feature doesn't seem to work. When I change it and press ok, it's gone to 0 when I open it again. When I extracted an existing artifact tag with expiry time from Mazz V, it had an expiry time of 481, which also resisted changing in the same manner.

Otherwise, this thing is brilliant! Can't wait to see it all working smoothly.
And who by fire
GizmoHB

Post by GizmoHB »

some more icons

http://www.simplygiz.com/files/icons.png

...Giz

Edited By GizmoHB on 1138721781
Taskman

Post by Taskman »

I love cuzog's icons. :)
cuzog

Post by cuzog »

ShadeOfWar wrote:<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>Ok some non-icon issues.</span>

Perhaps we should split the thread? Don't know, it's up to the moderators...

Also, if I can find some time, I may do some icons. I've wanted to try my hand at making some as close to the originals as possible.. or I may try something completely completely different. :;):
ShadeOfWar

Post by ShadeOfWar »

cuzog wrote:
ShadeOfWar wrote:<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>Ok some non-icon issues.</span>
Perhaps we should split the thread? Don't know, it's up to the moderators...

Also, if I can find some time, I may do some icons. I've wanted to try my hand at making some as close to the originals as possible.. or I may try something completely completely different. :;):
Taking the advice. Hmph.
And who by fire