Making a mesh appear in Myth - The shame :I

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
ShadeOfWar

Post by ShadeOfWar »

Ok, this sounds like a stupid question to me to be asking, especially being fully confident with fear, but after a few days I must grudgingly admit I'm not quite at home with Loathing.

So I edit a mesh, delete the original units, and add my own. At some point, however, the mesh will not show in my host (to play multiplayer maps of mine, I host a TCP/IP game and play it alone, as is to be expected.)

So, ''how do i get it back there?''

:P
And who by fire
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Did you edit an existing mesh, or duplicate an existing one and edit that?

If you just edited the existing one, and you're using a local folder, afaik, it WONT load on PM.net just cause of OOS issues it might cause people I think. (Since in theory it would still be using the original meshes' header, and would interfere with the ACTUAL original mesh on myth)

Another issue could be that you don't have a string list attached as 'Map Description' in Fear.... but if you say you're adept in Fear, you probably checked that already. One can doubley verify if this is the problem by holding shift down in multiplayer/(or if its a coop, solo), and if the map isn't checked as 'Is Complete' it will show up with red lettering in your games list, with the name of the actual mesh file, opposed to whatever you might WANT it to be called on loading.

I duno if either of these are your problems but give it a shot. If no, then maybe describe your problem with more colours :)

Edited By Graydon on 1138899236
ShadeOfWar

Post by ShadeOfWar »

About PM.net games using core data I know, I hosted TCP/IP, as said above...

Hmm, I used the killing grounds mesh, I did not alter the map description, so its there.

Anyway.

I have a unit called "x." (Supposedly.) I deleted all existing units on killing grounds that belonged to the players - (not counting ambients therefore) - including the barons but excluding the flags. I added 4 "x"s to each player at first, and the mesh was there. Then I added a lot of "y"s and "z"s and "w"s, and turned some of them invisible for unit trading (having made them tradeable in unit palette, and checked map actions and found nothing relevant, I took cues from the existing maps, and concluded this was what I had to do.) I only added them to 1 player at first, and hosted my TCP/Ip game. Killing grounds no longer there.

Removing the invisibilites or creating monster identifiers for all types of units or removing those units or adding them to all others didn't work, and none of these options made much sense anyway. The problem is, I can't see what the problem is :/

Myth_log was empty, as was to be expected...

Ok while I await another post I'll tweak some other meshes and see if i can find any cues as to what's gone wrong.

I'll take it step by step this time :O Patience was never my greatest virtue
And who by fire
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I'm still unclear on whether you duplicated or just straight up edited the mesh.

Duplicate it. I have a very good feeling you've got double headers, which will cancel each other out and remove the mesh entirely from your list.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

You need to make a plugin too, if you want to play it anywhere but with yourself.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Hmm, I used the killing grounds mesh, I did not alter the map description, so its there

Make sure your new mesh points to a new string list tag in the map description.
ShadeOfWar

Post by ShadeOfWar »

Ok ty Graydon&Chris, that was indeed the case.

*grunt*
And who by fire
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

: thumbs up :