Should Magma make more updates?

Talk about anything here.

Should Magma make more updates?

Yes, I have a 11 page feature request list typed and ready to post.
44%
Yes, if Myth stagnates it'll die sooner rather than later.
22%
Depends on what new features would be added, but I guess so.
24%
Only if I don't have to know about it until it's finished.
2%
Oh God, where's my 1.3.2 disc.
7%

Total votes: 41

tb

Post by tb »

yeah see thats my point. every update in the past 2-3 years has been like "OMFG GREAT MAPMAKER UPDATES" and is just a project in self-masturbation by the mapmaking community.

instead of putting the proper time into fixing GAMEPLAY they just add a bunch of bullshit mapmaker features that they want, and have actually fucked up gameplay more than they've fixed it. I'd much rather go back to 1.3 and ditch the "UBER LEET MAPMAKER ENHANCEMENTS" for real M2 gameplay.

Of course people at this forum would want more updates to enhance their UBER MAPS that like 20 people download...but 90% of the mwc population would disagree.
ozone

Post by ozone »

you still crying tb?
do it.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Guest wrote:yeah see thats my point. every update in the past 2-3 years has been like "OMFG GREAT MAPMAKER UPDATES" and is just a project in self-masturbation by the mapmaking community.

instead of putting the proper time into fixing GAMEPLAY they just add a bunch of bullshit mapmaker features that they want, and have actually fucked up gameplay more than they've fixed it. I'd much rather go back to 1.3 and ditch the "UBER LEET MAPMAKER ENHANCEMENTS" for real M2 gameplay.

Of course people at this forum would want more updates to enhance their UBER MAPS that like 20 people download...but 90% of the mwc population would disagree.
You wrote the book "Words of a Naive Simpleton", right?
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

now now, play nice.

TB is entitled to his opinion, even if he is wrong.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

Doobie wrote:TB is entitled to his opinion, even if he is wrong.
Alright, but he shouldn't try to eliminate the whole point of Project Magma.
Click on the picture below for my Myth 2 scenario.
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

making m2 patches is hardly the end all and be all of magma ;)
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
tb

Post by tb »

ozone wrote:you still crying tb?

hardly...i simply stopped playing the game

but the thread asked "Should magma make more updates?" and that is my opinion. but i guess most of the people who would share my opinion got sick of dealing with the crap updates and stopped playing, so go ahead and do whatever you want
sam

Post by sam »

u guys are fucking lame. tb is gay.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Doobie wrote:now now, play nice.

TB is entitled to his opinion, even if he is wrong.
I *was* playing nice Doobie.

Everything you guys put into mapmaking updates is allll optional. There's a button that reads TFL gameplay, and if you don't push that, everything stays the same. And for christsake, if someone doesn't like an update, they can just *not* install it.
If things are the way tb says they are, then there's obviously a secret society of people who hate anything from 1.4 onwards *so much* that they can just play over IP, right?

There's 'being entitled to an opinion' and then there's being just plain foolish. He *has* the option to play 1.3. Bitching about updates that pretty much everyone else likes is just pathetic, especially considering these updates only affect people who play plugins that UTILISE THEM.

Jesus.
kickenwing

Post by kickenwing »

I don't know if this would be possible, but maybe make a way that people in lobby can send pm's to people who are in a game that hasn't started yet? I don't know how many times I've wished I could pm the host and tell them to boot DA or Ara so I could get in.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Mb if you stopped flirting with Teenie all the damn time...

But really TB...you have got to think about what you are doing here. You don't like updates? Thats cool, stick to old versions then. You have to update because everyone else does? Cool, stop playing the game I guess. You post on forums about the game saying how much updates suck? Wait...you quit the game but still post on the forums? GO OUTSIDE. Don't squirt your bitter misanthropy all over a forum about a game you no longer play!

Sleep time.

-DA
lank

Post by lank »

as i remember, we tried fixing gameplay and making it better, but people seemed to argue that they wanted it like it used to be. *shrug*

at least a lot of oos and moonwalking bugs and things are gone. :)
*toot*
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

The real problem here is that myth players will rarely agree about anything. For every person who bitches about gameplay changes there'll be another who'll feel that the changes didn't go far enough.

I find it illogical that many players would say they don't like the gameplay and preferred 1.3, yet instead of asking for an update with 1.3 gameplay they'd rather leave it at 1.5.1. Also when making both 1.5 and 1.5.1 we spoke to a lot of ppl about the perceived gameplay bugs (eg pathfinding) and demonstrated the identical behaviour in 1.3. Acheron could verify this if he were still around.

So ... 1.5.1 gameplay has bugs, and 1.3 had bugs. Neither were perfect, and perfection is impossible imho. Magma will continue to make updates to keep Myth working on new versions of Macosx and Windoze.

We may also introduce new mapmaking features, but these will all be things that are activated by mapmakers and do not affect gameplay in the least. Is this an exercise in self-indulgence? No, as new and innovative plugins have done a lot over Myth's history to keep the game alive and there's no reason why that shouldn't continue. There have always been a lot of mythers who rarely or never appear online and who's main diet is solo levels.

What's really important though is that gameplay itself should not be changed from here on in, as we said when 1.5.1 was finished. Hence any new updates will be optional, as 1.5.1 will continue to remain compatible.

Just a few thoughts to keep in mind when considering the subject of this poll.

Edited By iron on 1139131562
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

"perfection is impossible"

On this one thing, I must disagree, Iron. Perfection is not an end result, but an ongoing process. Hence the idea of 'perfecting something'. That's what you guys do.

"We may also introduce new mapmaking features, but these will all be things that are activated by mapmakers and do not affect gameplay in the least."

This is what I didn't get in 'tb's' post. If this stuff is all optional and only activates in plugins that utilise it, how do people even know it's there without playing with it?
Bugfixes and extra mapmaking features... to me it sounds like a great deal but I suppose I'm insane!

Rock on Magma.
Sav

Post by Sav »

A few things I would like fixed (if they haven't been addressed yet) -

- F10 doesn't always put boxes around all the visible units, and units may lose the health box as the camera moves. Would be nice if F10 was a consistent toggle button, so that when "on" all visible units have health boxes.

- Would it be possible for the host to have some indication when someone attempted to join his full and/or closed game? I don't know how the host server works, but I'm assuming it tries to negotiate a connection initiated by a player, and if it can't the player times out. If it works something like this, then when the host has a failed connection it could generate a line in the chat box saying "player xyz attempted to join game" in some color other than red?

- I think I've still seen j-men turn before self-healing in 1.5.1. I suppose fixing this would mean a gameplay incompatibility, but I can dream.