Scripting Help for Newb - A summoning of sorts..

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

Hey, I have this idea in my head that using the summoner in multiplay would be kind of cool so I'm trying to adapt choice parts of the script from inside the tain to my map, only, I can't seem to get it to work and I'm getting a headache from switching maps, checking map actions scratching some down on paper and what not...

So, I humbly ask if someone could spot the problem for me right away or, which is most certainly the case, what piece of k0dz i am missing.

Thanks a lot, Helmet!

Map action:
==== T E A M 0 ====
{
}

Summoner Team 0
{
(subj, monster_identifier)
10033 (summoner)
}

Summoner Team 0 CEMO
{
(cemo, monster_identifier)
10033 (summoner)
}

Summoner Team 0 OBJE
{
(obje, monster_identifier)
10033 (summoner)
}

Summonable Demon
{
Link
Summonable Demon 1
Summonable Demon 2
Summonable Demon 3
}

Summonable Demon 1
{
10025 (ch08 demon lord)
}

Summonable Demon 2
{
10024 (ch08 demon lord)
}

Summonable Demon 3
{
10026 (ch08 demon lord)
10027 (ch08 demon lord)
}

Summoner Carrying Skull? [Test Unit]
deactivates_on_execution
0.00, 0.00
{
Link
Summoner Team 0
Activates on Success
Summoner Find Demon
Ammunition Greater Than
}

Summoner Find Demon [Geometry Filter]
deactivates_on_execution
0.00, 0.00
{
Link
Summoner Team 0 CEMO
Summonable Demon
Circle Radius
Use Markers instead of Monsters
Only Use Uncreated Monsters
Results Action Identifier
Demon To Be Summoned
Tested items Inside Field Name
subj
Activates on Failure
Summoner Find Demon 2
Activates on Success
Set Summoner Target Location
Maximum Number of Items
}

Summoner Find Demon 2 [Geometry Filter]
deactivates_on_execution
0.00, 0.00
{
Link
Summoner Team 0 CEMO
Summonable Demon
Circle Radius
Demon To Be Summoned
subj
Activates on Failure
Summoner Find Demon Final
Activates on Success
Maximum Number of Items
}

Summoner Find Demon Final [Geometry Filter]
deactivates_on_execution
0.00, 0.00
{
Link
Summoner Team 0 CEMO
Summonable Demon
Demon To Be Summoned
subj
Entire Map
Activates on Success
Maximum Number of Items
}

Demon To Be Summoned
{
}

Set Summoner Target Location [Geometry Filter]
deactivates_on_execution
0.00, 0.00
{
Link
Demon To Be Summoned
Summoner Attack Target
Activates on Success
Summoner Attack Target
Entire Map
Tested Items Inside Location Field Name
wayp
}

Summoner Attack Target [Attack]
deactivates_on_trigger
0.00, 0.00
{
Link
Summoner Team 0
Use Special Ability Flag
Activates On Execution
Summoner Successful?
}

Summoner Successful? [Geometry Filter]
deactivates_on_successful_execution
1.00, 1.00
{
Object Type
19ss
Entire Map
Summoner Spell Centerpoint
cent
Activates on Success
Summoned Demon Appear
}

{
}

Summoned Demon Appear [Unit Control]
deactivates_on_trigger
0.00, 0.00
{
Visible Flag
Use Monster Entrance Flag
Link
Demon To Be Summoned
}

Summoned Demon
{
}

Summoner's Demons
{
10025 (ch08 demon lord)
10024 (ch08 demon lord)
10026 (ch08 demon lord)
10027 (ch08 demon lord)
}

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Give Summoner Ammo [Unit Control]
initially_active
deactivates_on_trigger
0.00, 0.00
{
Link
Summoner Team 0
Ammunition
}
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Well, because I'm lazy, and didnt want to slog through all that script the first time, I must first ask, did you find the CEMO ref from Summoner? I've never seen a [cemo, monster_identifier] before, but as long as Bungie used it that wont be the problem.

Here's my suggestion: save a film of the action not working... then go into replays and watch the film.... slow it down to a stop about a second before you try to summon the demon, and turn on Map Action Debugging (control + F12) then turn up the game speed again, and let it play for about 3-5 seconds... long enough that you know the map actions have now _not worked_. Quit the film, and exit myth.

Go to your myth_log.txt and it will have debugged all your script running at that time. As you will notice it debugs EVERYTHING, hence my describing only waiting for a couple seconds... otherwise the script piles up and it's hard to slog through. You should be able to find out which of the above actions is failing to trigger, and pinpoint what line of script is giving you the problems. Once you have this, it's a whole bunch easier to fix, becuase you know what's going wrong.

If you don't want to use the built in map action debugger, you can also add a 'Debug Flag' to all the above map actions, and not worry about doing CTRL F12, it'll just debug those actions when you use them. I personally prefer the aforementioned method.

Hopefully this can narrow down the bug, and if you're still having trouble then, come back with your results and I can probably help you fix it up.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

CEMO is used in Geometries, it's "Circle centerpoint (Monster)" so you can test in a radius around a given monster.

I can't go over in more detail without trying to set-up the same thing in a test map, but are any of your map actions set to be initially active? You should have your "Is summoner carrying skull?" action set to be initially active (double click the action and it's a flag you can select), otherwise nothing is going to happen at all :)
Other than that, at a glance it looks like it SHOULD be working. So if it is definitely running then you should try what Gray suggested and see if the debugging info placed in your myth_log.txt file helps in anyway, or post it here since I've had to debug far too many scripts so should be able to work out what's going on :)
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

Heh, I tried the debugging thing but;
Running OpenGL at 800 x 600, 16 bit
Starting mesh "No Quarter - Light"...
2006-04-18 20:39:30 --- map action debugging on
2006-04-18 20:39:53 --- map action debugging off
Quitting replay...

Through that time I tried using the special ability 4 times but after going through the sequence nothing happened.

Also, I tried removing the 'Give Summoner ammo' entries, which were set to initially active in the original script, and added a initially active flag in the 'Summoner carrying skull?' part. Added 4 to the Summoner monster's initial ammunition...

It's weird 'cause he goes through the sequence with sound and everything and when he's out of ammo, the ability is no longer possible as wanted.

Could it be the Loathing settings for the summonable demons? I've got a small hunch that this will be like one of those tech call classics but I have to ask, I've got the demons as Uncontrollable and Invisible, could this be where the script is failing?

Thanks for taking the time guys, I appreciate it greatly!
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Hmm, in that case you'll have to put the debug flag into each of your GEOM's, they SHOULD give output during debug mode, that flag will force them to.
If you're still getting nothing then for some reason your GEOMs aren't triggering, but you say he wanders to each of the locations just fine?
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

See, I knew it would lead up to this... :embarassed:
I took the geom markers to be related to the monster markers... I guess the problem would be with the Summoner being player controlled then?

I'm bogged up in schoolwork at the mo', so I'm gonna have a hard time looking into it before the weekend, but any suggestions on what parts of the script I can scrap?

Revised script:

==== T E A M 0 ====
{
}

Summoner Team 0
{
10033 (summoner)
}

Summoner Team 0 CEMO
{
(cemo, monster_identifier)
10033 (summoner)
}

Summoner Team 0 OBJE
{
(obje, monster_identifier)
10033 (summoner)
}

Summonable Demon
{
Link
Summonable Demon 1
Summonable Demon 2
Summonable Demon 3
}

Summonable Demon 1
{
10025 (ch08 demon lord)
}

Summonable Demon 2
{
10024 (ch08 demon lord)
}

Summonable Demon 3
{
10026 (ch08 demon lord)
10027 (ch08 demon lord)
}

Summoner Carrying Skull? [Test Unit]
initially_active
deactivates_on_execution
0.00, 0.00
{
Link
Summoner Team 0
Activates on Success
Summoner Find Demon
Ammunition Greater Than
}

Summoner Find Demon [Geometry Filter]
deactivates_on_execution
0.00, 0.00
{
Link
Summoner Team 0 CEMO
Summonable Demon
Circle Radius
Demon To Be Summoned
subj
Activates on Failure
Summoner Find Demon 2
Activates on Success
Maximum Number of Items
}

Summoner Find Demon 2 [Geometry Filter]
deactivates_on_execution
0.00, 0.00
{
Link
Summoner Team 0 CEMO
Summonable Demon
Circle Radius
Demon To Be Summoned
subj
Activates on Failure
Summoner Find Demon Final
Activates on Success
Maximum Number of Items
}

Summoner Find Demon Final [Geometry Filter]
deactivates_on_execution
0.00, 0.00
{
Link
Summoner Team 0 CEMO
Summonable Demon
Demon To Be Summoned
subj
Entire Map
Activates on Success
Maximum Number of Items
}

Demon To Be Summoned
{
}

Set Summoner Target Location [Geometry Filter]
deactivates_on_execution
0.00, 0.00
{
Link
Demon To Be Summoned
Summoner Attack Target
Activates on Success
Summoner Attack Target
Entire Map
wayp
}

Summoner Attack Target [Attack]
deactivates_on_trigger
0.00, 0.00
{
Link
Summoner Team 0
Use Special Ability Flag
Activates On Execution
Summoner Successful?
}

Summoner Successful? [Geometry Filter]
deactivates_on_successful_execution
1.00, 1.00
{
Object Type
19ss
Entire Map
cent
Activates on Success
Summoned Demon Appear
}

{
}

Summoned Demon Appear [Unit Control]
deactivates_on_trigger
0.00, 0.00
{
Visible Flag
Use Monster Entrance Flag
Link
Demon To Be Summoned
}

Summoned Demon
{
}

Summoner's Demons
{
10025 (ch08 demon lord)
10024 (ch08 demon lord)
10026 (ch08 demon lord)
10027 (ch08 demon lord)
}

-------------------------------------------------------------------
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Monster markers are required if you are trying to search for a monster that hasn't been made visible yet, the monster markers should not be a problem.

You may wish to try making the summoner uncontrollabe after he has picked up a skill, and only give back control after he has successfully summoned (and has no more ammo left). This way you can rule out interruption, as if you are relying on him attacking, but is controllable then it may be overridden anyway. What to do is try make him uncontrollabe, use a general action to make him stop (this ensures he is no longer following then player commands), then after a tiny delay (to ensure he has stopped) trigger the GEOM to search for demons.

And put debug flags in EVERYTHING (well, not the containers which just hold monsters), this will help you narrow down which action is failing.
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

haravikk wrote:You may wish to try making the summoner uncontrollabe after he has picked up a skill, and only give back control after he has successfully summoned (and has no more ammo left). This way you can rule out interruption, as if you are relying on him attacking, but is controllable then it may be overridden anyway.
Do you mean I should make the Summoner uncontrollable when the player tries to use his special ability and then switch back once the summoning is done?

I meant for the Summoner to be used as a sort of uber unit in a larger army, with the possibility to summon demons to fight for him. To avoid having demons running around all over the map I decided to limit the demons to 4 per summoner, and regulated this by giving him 4 skulls of ammunition.. I had not considered making the Summoner uncontrollable as he really didn't have another means of defense and so would be a bit under-powered compared to the other uber-units..

But if it's the only way then I guess I could beef up a secondary attack and go with that as well.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

In my current project "Fallen Heroes" I have units that have the ability to summon other units... and I know you don't need to have them become uncontrollable to work. I basically took the scripting from Chimera that allowed Kyrilla to teleport and modified it to use it as summoning script.

The script goes something like this...
GEOM. that tests for the object the summoning unit made with special. It tests inside location field name 'dest'. It takes 2 seconds to activate and Never expires. Initially active. If it succeeds then the TUNI. tests if less than 5 of units under the LINK to summonable units are around (as in already summoned). It expires on execution. If it succeeds then the GEOM. that looks for any uncreated units from the LINK to the summonable units uses only their markers and maximum of one result into the empty data container. If it succeeds it activates a CTRL that makes the result visible then another CTRL to make that same unit invisible again. Then the MOMA. has a LINK with the result data container which is 'subj' and the location of the projectile 'dest' and activates the CTRL to make the unit visible using a worldknot/tain/entrance flag.

If this doesn't help or you don't understand let me know and I will explain in greater detail.

The reason I wouldn't use the scripting from the level The Summoner is that those units aren't really being summoned. The Myrks being summoned are in a fixed place which is not what you want.
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

Yeah, I noticed after looking over the Inside the Tain map and playing it through a couple of times that the myrks appear in a pattern as positioned in Loathing which wasn't really the effect I wanted.
I thought to use the monster markers on the spot where the player clicks to use the summoner's special ability.
I'm all clear that I need to have the units set in loathing, invisible, and then have the script move them to where the Summoner orders them to appear and make them visible and controllable but my scripting skills are somewhat lacking :roll: :embarassed: to say the least..

I understand what you're saying but I'm really not sure how to implement it into a working script... maybe if you could spell it out just a bit more, more like the scripting format used in loathing.. :embarassed: I'm having trouble following what parts and which order these things are supposed to go..
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Pyro's More Detailed Explaination to Summoning Scripting:

I will refer to the summoning unit as "Summoner" and refer to the summonable unit as "Minion".

First in Fear... make your Summoner have his special attack that we will call "summon initial" and have its initial velocity as 1.0 to 1.0 (In the attack window for the monster tag in Fear). That value of 1.0 is a good one but you can alter it. It makes the projectile go fast to its location and makes the attack more realistic speed-wise.

The "summon initial" projectile will have the projectile "summon MARKER" in the Projectile Tag for Promotion with Promotion on Detonation Fraction set to 1.0.

The "summon MARKER" projectile will be what the script will look for on the level. For this projectile I used the collection "15 scenery objects" with the Flight sequence being "wall trigger object" and the Object Tag should be something like "invincible immovable object". Give it a Lifespan of 2.0 to 2.0 (This will give the script plenty of time to find it... sometimes 1.0 will not be enough.). Under Edit Flags... check the box for "Is Only Destroyed By Lifespan". And remember to know (write it on paper or type it to a text file) the four letter/number header. To know what it is... open the projectile's tag and look at the top in the parenthesis. For this example I will say it is "smrk".

Now in Loathing, in the scripting... you will make a data container with all the possible Minions as 'subj'. And have two other empty data containers for the results of the unit to be summoned and the summoning location. As the following: (The arrows are pointing at the three map actions that are names... name them whatever you wish but the Minions has to have the units to be used.)

Minions <----
(monster_identifier subj)
Unit to be Summoned <----
Summoning Location <----

Now make the folowing map actions...

GEOM.Any summon MARKER on map?
(Initially Active, Trigger Time: 2.0 to 2.0, Never expires)
-Object Type
smrk
-Entire Map
-Results Action Ientifier
Summoning Location
-Tested Items Inside Location Field Name
dest
-Activated on Success
Four Minion Limit

TUNI.Four Minion Limit
(Expires on execution)
-Link
Minions
-Unit Count Less Than
-Activates on Success
Grab a Minion

GEOM.Grab a Minion
(Expires on execution)
-Link
Minions
-Entire Map
-Results Action Identifier
Unit to be Summoned
-Tested items Inside Field Name
subj
-Maximum Number of Items
-Use Markers instead of Monsters
true
-Only Use Uncreated Monsters
true
-Activates on Success
Chosen Minion Appears

CTRL.Chosen Minion Appears
-Link
Unit to be Summoned
-Visible Flag
-Activates on Success
Chosen Minion Disappears

CTRL.Chosen Minion Disappears
-Link
Unit to be Summoned
-Invisible Flag
-Activates on Success
Chosen Minion takes its spot

MOMA.Chosen Minion takes its spot
-Link
Unit to be Summoned
Summoning Location
-Activates on Success
New Minion Summoned

CTRL.New Minion Summoned
-Link
Unit to be Summoned
-Visible Flag
-World Knot Visibility Flag (optional)
-Activates on Success
(Whatever you want or don't put anything)

Instead of World Knot Visibility Flag you can use Tain Visibility Flag or Use Monster Entrance Flag for units like a dwarven mortar that have the parachute entrance projectile group. Or leave it blank and don't use any so the unit will just appear with no special effects.

I placed a limit of 4 since that was what you wanted. If you set the Minions to Invisible, Respawns, Respawn via Script in Loathing you can keep summoning units even if your first 4 die... since they respawn using script then you can resummon more and make it look like they are new units. The reason I gave the GEOM in the beginning 2.0 for trigger time is so it doesn't keep testing so often and when it does it won't summon more than once... since the MARKER has a lifespan of 2.0.

Any questions? This is complete as it is. But you can try to play with the script and change anything to suit your needs.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

: skips reading all posts once again and reverts to the original script with an idea :

I think I've got it too. I'd put 10 bucks that your Monster Entrance Projectile Group is not working properly. If the PRGR is messed up, this will cause the unit not to appear. Try removing 'Uses Monster Entrance' flag on your CTRL and see if you've got any luck with that will you? My money says it'll work. Then all you have to do is fix the entrance group.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Graydon wrote:: skips reading all posts once again and reverts to the original script with an idea :

I think I've got it too. I'd put 10 bucks that your Monster Entrance Projectile Group is not working properly. If the PRGR is messed up, this will cause the unit not to appear. Try removing 'Uses Monster Entrance' flag on your CTRL and see if you've got any luck with that will you? My money says it'll work. Then all you have to do is fix the entrance group.
Good point, I had a problem like that recently. I wanted some of the summoned units to teleport in while a few to use the extrance proj group. Intead of copying the script into two parts I thought of making the extrance flags for the other units into the teleport in... but that gave it problems... the proj group would show up... but no unit.
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

Yeah, I got it to work somewhat now, not completely sure if it will work if both teams uses Summoner since that might make a demon from either team appear since the summon marker was used for marking for both. I'll experiment a bit and see what I can find :D

Thanks for all the help guys! I've made more progress on the map this week, what with some exams and papers due and everything, than I did for the last couple of months :D

Might even be able to get a release date before summer :D :0
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

Bleh, I spoke to soon. I got Pyro's script to work, or at least partly since it would only summon 3 out of 4 demons each game. I then tried to implent a mirrored set of map actions for the opposing team but that didn't sit to well with myth and now I can't get it to work at all..

Myth Log reads:
2006-04-23 20:06:02 --- map action debugging on
2006-04-23 20:06:10 ### MA [geom] - Any Summon Marker on the Map: found 0 objects of type suma
2006-04-23 20:06:10 ### MA [geom] - Any Summon Marker on the Map: nothing to test against!
2006-04-23 20:06:10 ### MA [geom] + Any Summon Marker on the Map: found 0 objects of type sumo
2006-04-23 20:06:10 ### MA [geom] + Any Summon Marker on the Map: nothing to test against!
2006-04-23 20:06:12 ### MA [geom] - Any Summon Marker on the Map: found 1 objects of type suma
2006-04-23 20:06:12 ### MA [geom] - Any Summon Marker on the Map: testing objects against entire map
2006-04-23 20:06:12 ### MA [geom] - Any Summon Marker on the Map: 1 objects inside geometry ignored
2006-04-23 20:06:12 ### MA [geom] - Any Summon Marker on the Map: 0 objects outside geometry ignored
2006-04-23 20:06:12 ### MA [geom] - Any Summon Marker on the Map: 1 objects points inside geometry (added to dest)
2006-04-23 20:06:12 ### MA [geom] - Any Summon Marker on the Map: 0 objects points outside geometry ignored
2006-04-23 20:06:12 ### MA [geom] - Any Summon Marker on the Map: succeeded
2006-04-23 20:06:12 ### MA [tuni] - Four Demon Limit: count: 0<5
2006-04-23 20:06:12 ### MA [tuni] - Four Demon Limit: test action successful
2006-04-23 20:06:12 ### MA [tuni] - Four Demon Limit: succeeded
2006-04-23 20:06:12 ### MA [tuni] - Four Demon Limit: deactivated
2006-04-23 20:06:12 ### MA [geom] - Grab a Demon: nothing to test against!
2006-04-23 20:06:12 ### MA [geom] - Grab a Demon: failed
2006-04-23 20:06:12 ### MA [geom] - Grab a Demon: deactivated

And the script now looks as follows:

- Demons
{
(good, monster_identifier)
10025 (ch08 demon lord)
10024 (ch08 demon lord)
10026 (ch08 demon lord)
10027 (ch08 demon lord)
}

- Demon To Be Summoned